Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Dyer'ere said:
Rioli worked for a half or so. And his disposal was below AFL standard again. But he was aggressive. And played with courage.

If his 60kg frame can take it let him try again.

BTW can't kick.
Cant kick? Think you might have this one wrong. Awkward kicking style but effective. Almost nailed that goal outside 50.

I liked him and for all the talk about how physically underdeveloped he is, he was our leading tackler for a fair part of the night.

The pressure he laid was outstanding. Not sure if it showed up on TV, but he would sprint 50m to pressure Carlton's defenders when they were coming out of defence. We have a player here.

Didn't look out of place, a good first game.
I thought he looked a bit sore towards the end of the game.

Rancey18 said:
The pressure he laid was outstanding. Not sure if it showed up on TV, but he would sprint 50m to pressure Carlton's defenders when they were coming out of defence. We have a player here.

Yep. His consistency of effort for a young player was outstanding. Skills need a little polishing.

a big tick for a first game. his pressure was excellent

shame we got pipped by Crows for Milera. but Rioli is still going to be quality pick 12

I’ve watched the tape this morning and it doesn’t do justice to the inferred pressure he put on the Carlton defence.

For his first game he was a defensive weapon. And sure he was spent by half way through the third quarter but that was due to his defensive efforts, not his offensive efforts. For a young bloke to dedicate the majority of his efforts to defensive pressure inside our 50, it shows a team first mentality. Understanding that at this stage of his development, he can influence a game more without the ball and accepting it is huge. Look at the Lloyd blind turn goal, who harassed the ball out of Weitering arms, Rioli. Defensively there were shades of “delicious”.

But, missing that Riewoldt play on goal was huge. Carlton were on the ropes, swaying. 16 points down I think, we kick that and I think it is the ball game. Must finish. And that will come.

Any talk of this boy not playing the first 12 games are folly. He gives something we haven’t had in decades.

And he will get his space in front him soon enough. And everyone will be going woooooooo. And BUHJEEPERS does he look like a skinny Maurice at times or what? More so than Cyril. Maurice was already built like a middleweight boxer by the time he arrived at Richmond, but just the way Daniel moves....no doubt a Rioli.

SCOOP said:
I’ve watched the tape this morning and it doesn’t do justice to the inferred pressure he put on the Carlton defence.

For his first game he was a defensive weapon. And sure he was spent by half way through the third quarter but that was due to his defensive efforts, not his offensive efforts. For a young bloke to dedicate the majority of his efforts to defensive pressure inside our 50, it shows a team first mentality. Understanding that at this stage of his development, he can influence a game more without the ball and accepting it is huge. Look at the Lloyd blind turn goal, who harassed the ball out of Weitering arms, Rioli. Defensively there were shades of “delicious”.

But, missing that Riewoldt play on goal was huge. Carlton were on the ropes, swaying. 16 points down I think, we kick that and I think it is the ball game. Must finish. And that will come.

Any talk of this boy not playing the first 12 games are folly. He gives something we haven’t had in decades.

Absolutely bang on.

ToraToraTora said:
And he will get his space in front him soon enough. And everyone will be going woooooooo. And BUHJEEPERS does he look like a skinny Maurice at times or what? More so than Cyril. Maurice was already built like a middleweight boxer by the time he arrived at Richmond, but just the way Daniel moves....no doubt a Rioli.
But Maurice was 25 yrs old when he came in '82.

SCOOP said:

Agree with all that scoop, but doubt he'll get 12, his physique won't cope at this stage. Happy to be proven wrong though, love what he did last night.

antman said:
Agree with all that scoop, but doubt he'll get 12, his physique won't cope at this stage. Happy to be proven wrong though, love what he did last night.

Fingers crossed he gets through unscathed. Its not hurting the side having him in (quite the contrary). Under the radar is nice.

tigerman said:
Didn't look out of place, a good first game.
I thought he looked a bit sore towards the end of the game.
Had a slight limp (like he was sore) after the game. copped a corky i believe.

His defensive pressure and tackling was 1st rate. Hardwick will like his forward pressure meaning he will likely continue to get games. If he can start to impact the scoreboard he will be just what we need!

Equal 3rd most pressure acts last night (same as Cotchin). Menadue was equal top I think with Lambert, and 5th was Corey Ellis. These are great signs. We have youngsters coming through who understand the importance of the 1%ers. The small things, tackles, shepherds, hard chasing are the things that we've probably been below par in the past. AM pretty buoyed by that stat as these youngsters are only going to get better with experience.

bowden4president said:
Had a slight limp (like he was sore) after the game. copped a corky i believe.

His defensive pressure and tackling was 1st rate. Hardwick will like his forward pressure meaning he will likely continue to get games. If he can start to impact the scoreboard he will be just what we need!

That's good, the last thing we need is for him to have dodgy hammies like Cyril.

tigerman said:
That's good, the last thing we need is for him to have dodgy hammies like Cyril.
Bang on

Cyril was always touted as a bloke that would graduate to a key on baller role. His dodgy hammies have prevented him living out this potential

If Dan's body stands up, definite key onballer potential. Far better engine than Cyril at the same age apparently.

First game I've seen him live.

Nice speed, great endeavour.

Of course he is young and needs time to adjust to the speed of the game and battle any doubts.

However he did miss the better option a few times, mostly to his right and appears tunnel visioned.

Like I said many extenuating circumstances but I was surprised.

Panthera Tigris said:
Bang on

Cyril was always touted as a bloke that would graduate to a key on baller role. His dodgy hammies have prevented him living out this potential

If Dan's body stands up, definite key onballer potential. Far better engine than Cyril at the same age apparently.

It's great to have another Rioli at the club, it's been way too long.
Maurice was a fantastic tackler and young Dan looks like he is as well.

tigerman said:
It's great to have another Rioli at the club, it's been way too long.
Maurice was a fantastic tackler and young Dan looks like he is as well.
Hopefully the father/son doesn't get watered down any more and we can land Maurice Jnr in a couple of years time ;)

I was talking to someone yesterday who is very close to a few players. The word is that they have been staggered at the improvement in Dan Rioli since he came to the club. The belief we have someone special on our hands if the trajectory remains the same.

From what I understand his improvement was also enormous in 2015 as well where he went from a fringe underager to a 1st round draft pick.

Exciting