Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Maybe many of the excited posts here explain why he's in. But could be advantage Carlton's midfield without another hardened, experienced and strong-bodied mid rotation, A. Moore, instead.

Rioli: too light, too inexperienced. Just hope the kid doesn't get hurt. Remember Nathan Drummond.

Not intending to put the moz on him! It just looks premature and a crowd-pleaser to me.

I couldn't care less about hype, publicity or marketing motives. I just want a convincing win.

Is this our best choice? Would it be the same if we were playing Pies first? (Watch Rd. 2).

I don't think the coaches are particularly concerned with his possession numbers or goals tally. He's there to make defenders rush their decisions or better still, get caught before they've made them. We don't have many players that offer that. Lloyd's the designated goal pilferer, not Rioli.

I thought he improved game by game. Without the injuries I doubt he would have been selected for tonight's game. I hope he has a good one and enjoys the experience. Like to see him doing the first game, first goal club, too.

leon said:
Rioli: too light, too inexperienced. Just hope the kid doesn't get hurt. Remember Nathan Drummond.

Drummond did a knee from landing awkwardly. Nothing to do with being light or inexperienced. I am happy to see Rioli in the team to see what he has at top level. If he struggles early games then send him back to the 2s.

CarnTheTiges said:
I thought he improved game by game. Without the injuries I doubt he would have been selected for tonight's game. I hope he has a good one and enjoys the experience. Like to see him doing the first game, first goal club, too.
This is the key. Without injuries, undoubtedly not in the best 22. But given a bit of an injury list and a few just off match fitness due to abbreviated preseasons, he gets his chance - just the way it is. If we get close to a full list on the park, he will play mostly in the 2s this season with the odd 1s game here and there if he earns it.

tigerlove said:
Drummond did a knee from landing awkwardly. Nothing to do with being light or inexperienced. I am happy to see Rioli in the team to see what he has at top level. If he struggles early games then send him back to the 2s.

I know exactly how Drummond did his knee; I was there.
But it's the increased pressure, speed and harder hits of bigger bodies that present risks to very young, inexperienced and lightly built players. That's why they put them on a gym program and aim to add 5-10 kgs of lean muscle to them over their first few years.
How will you ever know whether Drummond didn't land properly because of the perceived pressure he felt with the speed of the big-time game? (Or he might just have a weakness in his knees)
Not to push it any further, but do you notice the Blues are not playing Jack Silvagni, who is like an equivalent figure for them as Dan is to us. I know them, and Jack is far too light at present, and same age as Dan.
You watch, I predict they won't rush him because they know his body is not ready for AFL clashes yet.
Our approach is the same as in the Wallace era, where we probably damaged some young players' careers by throwing them in too early.
OK, if Dan gains 20 possessions and kicks two, comes out injury-free, I will concede you were right.

Or he might just have come down awkwardly on the knee which could have happened in the VFL just as easily. I get protecting lighter bodied players in the seniors somewhat but this is not a good example Leon.

With our core of senior players I'd argue it's nothing like the Wallace era either - we are playing Rioli because we can afford to carry him, not because we've got nothing else. Even if he does almost nothing tonight it's great experience for him.

Dimma's been very good at introducing young players the last few years without throwing them to the wolves. Of course, he then gets crirlticised for "dropping" them when they need a rest at the lower level but hey, this is PRE.

leon said:
But it's the increased pressure, speed and harder hits of bigger bodies that present risks to very young, inexperienced and lightly built players. That's why they put them on a gym program and aim to add 5-10 kgs of lean muscle to them over their first few years.
How will you ever know whether Drummond didn't land properly because of the perceived pressure he felt with the speed of the big-time game? (Or he might just have a weakness in his knees)
Not to push it any further, but do you notice the Blues are not playing Jack Silvagni, who is like an equivalent figure for them as Dan is to us. I know them, and Jack is far too light at present, and same age as Dan.
You watch, I predict they won't rush him because they know his body is not ready for AFL clashes yet.
Our approach is the same as in the Wallace era, where we probably damaged some young players' careers by throwing them in too early.
OK, if Dan gains 20 possessions and kicks two, comes out injury-free, I will concede you were right.

I don't think he is too light. He's 18 and will fill out sure, but looks ready to go to me. Brad Hill wasn't built like Rene Kink when he established himself in the side, still isn't. I find myself saying it a lot on here, but don't underestimate the tough skinny bloke. There was a player who played for years in the Ballarat League, Malcolm Sargeant, won a league B&F, absolutely nothing of him, ever, never filled out. Like a 175cm Ken Hunter but skinnier. Yet he was indestructible, and believe it or not, an intimidator.

Dan looks to have a load of talent and skills, I would have liked to just nurse him along a far bit yet. Dreamtime against the Druggies for instance.

Don't know enough about Hill. Was he a similar age and size, experience as Rioli at present?

He's in though so I want him to have a great night and all the success in the world.

leon said:
Dan looks to have a load of talent and skills, I would have liked to just nurse him along a far bit yet. Dreamtime against the Druggies for instance.

Don't know enough about Hill. Was he a similar age and size, experience as Rioli at present?

He's in though so I want him to have a great night and all the success in the world.

All fair enough. I think Hill was the same age, maybe he had a season in the seconds (?), but he was young and skinny, skinnier than Dan I reckon, and was in and out of the side. Point is he didn't need nursing physically, but still had to learn the game at the top level. Some kids don't need nursing, are outside the norm, and I reckon Dan is one of those. Obviously the brains trust at the club think so too. Its exciting.

There have been a quite a few instances of a small forward getting a bag of goals on debut, let's hope one of those instances is tonight.

Having said that, a number of these instances have also included them playing a few more games and then being delisted, never to be seen again.

leon said:

I just think it's a very long bow to suggest he did his knee because he was inexperienced and light. I've seen many very well seasoned strongly built players do their knees. I was there and saw how Drummond did his knee too but you didn't need to be there, here's video to make judgement for yourself. Imo that situation could have played out in any VFL or suburban match just as easily.

https://www.facebook.com/AFL/videos/10152844057726417/

tigerlove said:
I just think it's a very long bow to suggest he did his knee because he was inexperienced and light. I've seen many very well seasoned strongly built players do their knees. I was there and saw how Drummond did his knee too but you didn't need to be there, here's video to make judgement for yourself. Imo that situation could have played out in any VFL or suburban match just as easily.

Yes, looking at it again, god it was unfortunate. But I always wondered whether it spooked him to have someone like Nathan Jones coming at him. It would spook many a novice player, I'd say. But don't think Drummond ever took his eyes off the ball or only slightly, so yes will agree with you.

Incidentally I noticed in his recovery video recently, I'm sure he said his surgeon also did 'his parents ops too'. He meant it as having confidence in his doc, but worried me when I heard that.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
There have been a quite a few instances of a small forward getting a bag of goals on debut, let's hope one of those instances is tonight.

Having said that, a number of these instances have also included them playing a few more games and then being delisted, never to be seen again.
Marty McGrath anyone?

tigerlove said:

Agree...not sure if anyone remembers Dale Thomas when he debut. Boy oh boy...there was nothing of him. Despite that, he went OK.

Opulentus Tigris said:
Agree...not sure if anyone remembers Dale Thomas when he debut. Boy oh boy...there was nothing of him. Despite that, he went OK.

He went well for about 30 seconds last year too until KMac steam rolled him.

tigerlove said:

Of all the young players we drafted in 2014 Drummond was the most AFL ready in the body. Was just one of those things.

We played Ellis and Menadue in the weeks after that and they were far less ready physically than Drummond.

Nice tackle son. Was very pleased with himself. Has a decent kick on him for skinny little runt