Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

The thread is fine, obviously some fans hate the approach the club takes with its debutants.

Given our current position on the ladder, for me it was a lowlight from a good team performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I find this debate genuinely interesting. For me, its a brutal unforgiving ultra competitive game. This is not even on the lower end of the hard luck story scale for me, its not even on the scale. It wasn't an ideal debut, but its a debut.

Kaleb and his family would have gone into this with their eye wide open. You're debuting you kid, but it will be sub, you bloody ripper says the kid Rings the family, says he's debuting as sub, everyone knows he might get 3 Q, he might get no game time. Everyone knows what the situation is. If your child is debuting, would you not go? Would you get indignant? I wouldn't.

Where do you draw the line on the family thing? How many? How far away they are? If he was an orphan from Lara would people be fine with it? I find the discussion surprising. Its a brutal, professional, team sport. This is just the way it went. I'd be pissed off if Yze's consideration of getting Smith on interfered with his game plan and strategy in any way.
Its not as if we're in the race for a finals spot.Imagine if he didn't get on.What a fake debut.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we make too much of someone playing their first game.

Reactions: 5 users
A couple of points on Subgate:
This year we should never sub anyone out who isn't injured until half way through the last. You just know we are going to cop an injury or 2, and we can't afford to have less on the bench than we are forced to.
And from my understanding Smith is still getting to full fitness. Can he play 2 games in 5 days? Was it sub in the AFL or miss all together? Or play a full game then back to the VFL for the 7 days rest?

FWIW thought it was poor by the club.

Not a hanging offence, not going to hurt his career.

Just poor to debut a kid who's family are from the other side of the country and give him 10 minutes.

Everyone remembers there first game. It's special. Kaleb's memories won't be.

Most clubs do it. Just don't like it.

Reactions: 10 users
Always think of Jonathan Brown's first game. I saw it, and he dines out on it. Not much game time and one touch, A clanger I think. I thought what a useless lumbering dud.

• Haha
Always think of Jonathan Brown's first game. I saw it, and he dines out on it. Not much game time and one touch, A clanger I think. I thought what a useless lumbering dud.
Yeah, i cant believe they kept him and got rid of Shane Morrison.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Always interesting reading Boomers and Gen Xers (aka the vast, vast majority of us, myself included) on here explain how the Gen Zers should just toughen up and ... blah blah blah.

Times change and if you don't change with the times you're left behind.

Gen Zer's are not stupid and unlike our generations they don't and won't take any sh!t. They more than aware when someone is being disingenuous.

Yze needs to be careful or he'll lose them - just as Clarkson has lost the North team.
Using Clarko as an example to explain crapping off of various Demographic Cohorts in the human race of generational changes doesn't really do any favours for your argument. Clarko pretty well craps off everybody so badly he even craps himself off.

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW thought it was poor by the club.

Not a hanging offence, not going to hurt his career.

Just poor to debut a kid who's family are from the other side of the country and give him 10 minutes.

Everyone remembers there first game. It's special. Kaleb's memories won't be.

Most clubs do it. Just don't like it.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel as well.

Just seems like it was a bit unnecessary.

Irrespective of his first game a change needed to be made at HT or early in the third as there was a momentum shift and Yze didn't read the game that danger was nigh .
Either one of Short, Dow, Pickett or Mansell needed to be subbed out. We needed run and more energy around the ball, but by the time Smith was activated the game was shot. So effectively his family came over to see him in a game where he really had no impact or couldn't impact it.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. He was given some time on the field. Be in this week's team. It's a great thing to be picked after overcoming odds last year and performing this year. A reminder! you must keep working to get the gig.

Go KS, be part of Richmond's greatness.

Its not as if we're in the race for a finals spot.Imagine iwasn't just about the run on the grou
I don't think they would be too disappointed and wouldn't have expected too much more. It wasn't just about the performance on the field; the jumper presentation is a huge part of it for the player and their family. It was particularly special with Nick Daffy presenting Caleb with his jumper.

Well to bastardise a Jack Dyerism.
He made a quick debut last week and will make a longer debut this week

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Was it Bauer who lasted for about 90 seconds in his debut? I think he started on the ground, too. Didn’t McAuliffe also acquire an injury in his debut after coming on as the sub?

In ten mins. he got more possessions than Mansell did for the whole 2nd half

• Haha
Would I have liked kaleb on earlier yes but this young man has been through 3 years of constant injury and basically resting him will do him no harm,if we could of had pickett as sub it would be ideal.

FFS, Yze was going for the win against our arch-enemy. He needed the win, the club needed the win. Would have been a real morale-boosting victory if we pulled it off. There was 3 points in it at 3/4 time.

Seems some on here prefer to prioritise the "feelings" of an individual or an individual's family over a possible victory. We can debate when the sub should have taken place, and with whom, but if Yze is coaching with the feelings of Kaleb and his family on his mind, rather than being laser-focused at defeating the headbanders, then he shouldn't be at the club.

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
FFS, Yze was going for the win against our arch-enemy. He needed the win, the club needed the win. Would have been a real morale-boosting victory if we pulled it off. There was 3 points in it at 3/4 time.

Seems some on here prefer to prioritise the "feelings" of an individual or an individual's family over a possible victory. We can debate when the sub should have taken place, and with whom, but if Yze is coaching with the feelings of Kaleb and his family on his mind, rather than being laser-focused at defeating the headbanders, then he shouldn't be at the club.
Headbanders. Lol

• Haha