Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

One moment they’re just kids learning the game and being nurtured. Been hearing this all year on PRE. Next they’re grown men, like they’ve played 60 games ?

Which one is it ?

Regardless of whether he plays 300 games and wins 3 Brownlows, it was *smile* management of Kaleb tonight.
I've never said anyone's a "young kid" being "nurtured". A young player being developed appropriately is a different matter.

Kaleb is old enough to drink, drive and vote. He can handle sitting on the bench.

It's not Auskick, where eveyone gets a turn. It's professional football. The coach's responsibility is not to make sure Kaleb's having a good time.

I don't disagree that he could have been brought on earlier, but equating that to the coach being a big meanie who shat on a child's birthday cake is paternalistic and an overreaction. I doubt Kaleb is traumatised, and I'm sure he'll play a lot more footy for us.

Reactions: 5 users
I've never said anyone's a "young kid" being "nurtured". A young player being developed appropriately is a different matter.

Kaleb is old enough to drink, drive and vote. He can handle sitting on the bench.

It's not Auskick, where eveyone gets a turn. It's professional football. The coach's responsibility is not to make sure Kaleb's having a good time.

I don't disagree that he could have been brought on earlier, but equating that to the coach being a big meanie who shat on a child's birthday cake is paternalistic and an overreaction. I doubt Kaleb is traumatised, and I'm sure he'll play a lot more footy for us.
Who said the coach was a “meanie” ? And “Having a good time” ? What ? You’re making stuff up now. Silly.

It’s about managing him the best way possible and last night wasn’t the best way possible.

You’ve even admitted as much by saying at a minimum, he could have come on earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
He goes and and plays 100 games for us - who cares what happened in his first?
In fact if he plays a handful by the end of this season nobody will care either - least of all his family or the kid himself

Fair dinkum - he was nearly on in the first qtr when Baker looked a goner

Reactions: 1 user
He goes and and plays 100 games for us - who cares what happened in his first?
In fact if he plays a handful by the end of this season nobody will care either - least of all his family or the kid himself

Fair dinkum - he was nearly on in the first qtr when Baker looked a goner
It’s not about 100 games or even 300.

It’s about being the best we can in everything we do - which includes the best way to introduce a debutant.

Yes, it’s not that big of a deal, but if we take that approach to other little ticket items, then after a while those tickets add up.

It was actually brought up on radio when I was driving home, that it wasn’t ideal. Throwing him in late, when we were under siege. Even a couple Geelong fans sitting next to me said “are you gonna play your young kid tonight ?” “Will he get a run ?”

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
A player only makes his debut once. Unless it’s Jack Dyer commentating.
While to some it isn’t a big deal and the player may go on to have a decent career. No one is knocking that.

It’s about a sense of occasion.
It’s why we celebrate a player playing 100 games, or 200 or 300. Play that many and you’ve done damn well.

A player getting their debut and having family and friends there to share it is special.
When a player gets 10 minutes or so, it’s a bit of a downer, for him personally after getting the nod. He would have been a bundle of nerves for days leading up to it. The same for his family.
It would have been nice after tripping across Australia for them all for Kaleb to have a little more opportunity and time on the field.
Even as an interchange player if they didn’t think he was ready for a full game. I just don’t get it. Was he ready to go or not?

Reactions: 8 users
I find this debate genuinely interesting. For me, its a brutal unforgiving ultra competitive game. This is not even on the lower end of the hard luck story scale for me, its not even on the scale. It wasn't an ideal debut, but its a debut.

Kaleb and his family would have gone into this with their eye wide open. You're debuting you kid, but it will be sub, you bloody ripper says the kid Rings the family, says he's debuting as sub, everyone knows he might get 3 Q, he might get no game time. Everyone knows what the situation is. If your child is debuting, would you not go? Would you get indignant? I wouldn't.

Where do you draw the line on the family thing? How many? How far away they are? If he was an orphan from Lara would people be fine with it? I find the discussion surprising. Its a brutal, professional, team sport. This is just the way it went. I'd be pissed off if Yze's consideration of getting Smith on interfered with his game plan and strategy in any way.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I hope he gets another game next week, because there’s no way he can be properly assessed on last night.

Reactions: 4 users
Should have started. Or subbed off Short after 2 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats #3 with Yze not reading the room.

Yze will do what he thinks is is best for his players, not what the room thinks, thankfully.

I don't see what all the teeth gnashing is all about. He got his taste and will have a better understanding of the speed of the top level. He might get a game next week, he might not but even 10 mins in the 1s is invaluable experience.

We should also consider that he might not quite be ready for the level in the eyes of the coach. Despite all of our injuries he's been one of the last on the list to be called up. It's not a knock on him as such, he's a baby in terms of a footballer and even in his brief time on the ground he got caught out by the speed of the game.

Reactions: 2 users
I dint think it’s a lot of teethgnashing or any over reaction. People are just having an opinion on a young lad’s debut.

Well, no doubt we all see it in a different way to others.
But I bet Kaleb and his family would have been pleased and excited he got an opportunity.

I hope he can go on from here and have a fine career with us.

We should also consider that he might not quite be ready for the level in the eyes of the coach. Despite all of our injuries he's been one of the last on the list to be called up. It's not a knock on him as such, he's a baby in terms of a footballer and even in his brief time on the ground he got caught out by the speed of the game.
Absolutely this. If we had a full or nearly full list to choose from he wouldn’t be getting a game - yet. He is underdone, missed last year with a tricky foot injury. The club is looking after him.

Also, I would wager that Kaleb and family were just excited and thrilled to be there, not blowing off steam that he didn’t start or play out more time.

Absolutely this. If we had a full or nearly full list to choose from he wouldn’t be getting a game - yet. He is underdone, missed last year with a tricky foot injury. The club is looking after him.

Also, I would wager that Kaleb and family were just excited and thrilled to be there, not blowing off steam that he didn’t start or play out more time.

He and his family were probably well aware he was going to be sub from the outset, just because we only hear an hour before the game doesn't mean that decision wasn't made on Thursday night.

It's amazing when FC are at a low how bad decisions keep getting made. It's like a virus of incompetence takes over the place. When we were flying under Dimma we played a debutante in a Grand Final, yet we couldn't give a debutante at least a half of footy when we're 17th on the ladder. I feel bad for his family to se their son run on with around half a quarter to go and then be absolutely toweled up bc his opponent was already off the chain. I believe we had may options at HT to sub either Pickett, Short, Dow or the potato Mansell. The problem with Adem is he's trying to win games with a mediocre team with hardly any future rather than trying to win games with a team of the future. He will struggle as a coach if he can't read the basic script as time waits for no one in this cut throat industry.

• Dislike
Don't defend the club on this. It's pathetic to debut a kid as a sub then put him on with ten or so minutes to go.

If he isn't good enough don't play him, but for *smile* sake don't tarnish a kids first experience of AFL in what is supposed to be a special and monumental moment in a player's life.

It's a cancer on the AFL that it's even allowed, a terrible look that reflects poorly on clubs who do it.

In the context of the game it was a flat out error, we were getting overrun in the third so there was no excuse not to pull the trigger then.... You selected him so he must be ready right??? As soon as came on he looked like the only bloke not jogging.

Don't defend the club on this.
Too Late!

Seriously though, I genuinely find your view surprising, especially the strength of it. I can understand people not liking it or being a bit miffed, but I find the level of hate genuinely surprising.

We have the sub. Like it or not its in the rules, part of the game. Looking at it objectively, even if you don't like it, it is made for debuts. If you're Kaleb Smith and coach says you're debuting as sub, do you jump for joy or crack the *smile*?

Forget the last ten minutes argument for a second, it was poor coaching, we were gassed in the third quarter.

Yze had to change something, bring him on.

In terms of culturally, I think it’s shocking. Sends a signal to the kid of “I only put you on cause I had to.”

Bad experience for all involved. Would rather start a debutant and bring him off at half time, then do what we did last night.

Do better.

Reactions: 14 users