Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

He and his family were probably well aware he was going to be sub from the outset, just because we only hear an hour before the game doesn't mean that decision wasn't made on Thursday night.
Yeah they probably know and I suppose the club pays for the flight over. Arguments aside, this sub rubbish should be finished by next season.

Reactions: 2 users
Too Late!

Seriously though, I genuinely find your view surprising, especially the strength of it. I can understand people not liking it or being a bit miffed, but I find the level of hate genuinely surprising.

We have the sub. Like it or not its in the rules, part of the game. Looking at it objectively, even if you don't like it, it is made for debuts. If you're Kaleb Smith and coach says you're debuting as sub, do you jump for joy or crack the *smile*?

If he wasn't good enough don't play him, but don't *smile* in our pockets and tell me his run wasn't needed sooner.
I very much disagree that the sub was brought in for this intention, that's objectively false.

Reactions: 1 user
If he wasn't good enough don't play him, but don't *smile* in our pockets and tell me his run wasn't needed sooner.
I very much disagree that the sub was brought in for this intention, that's objectively false.
I didn't say thats why the sub was brought in and thats not what I meant. My point was it gets used a lot for debuts.

Not good enough don't play him. It just isn't that black and white, thats the reality. I'm not being a smart arse, I'm genuinely interested, would you rather debut as sub and play 10 minutes or not debut at all? The reality is, like it or not, a lot of players will make their debut sooner than they might have because of the sub.

Reactions: 3 users
Leaving aside the subgate issue, didn't Short lift with his replacement in the side?

We know that el regardless of performance in the golden years Dogwick presented Short with a Happy Meal voucher after every game. Maybe Yze could give Smith a Happy Meal voucher at training as a square off for not bringing him on earlier. Short would storm out of training and fly impromptu up to Gold Coast for a tour of the facilities. When life gives us lemons.

Screen Shot 2024-06-02 at 13.11.07.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I didn't say thats why the sub was brought in and thats not what I meant. My point was it gets used a lot for debuts.

Not good enough don't play him. It just isn't that black and white, thats the reality. I'm not being a smart arse, I'm genuinely interested, would you rather debut as sub and play 10 minutes or not debut at all? The reality is, like it or not, a lot of players will make their debut sooner than they might have because of the sub.
Have nothing but respect for you @tigersnake, I wasn't directing the *smile* in our pockets at you.

I dint think it’s a lot of teethgnashing or any over reaction. People are just having an opinion on a young lad’s debut.

Well, no doubt we all see it in a different way to others.
But I bet Kaleb and his family would have been pleased and excited he got an opportunity.

I hope he can go on from here and have a fine career with us.
No overreaction?
Its reprehensible. Its pathetic. Its a black mark against Yze. A fail by the match committee.

That's a lot of knickers in a twist

Only you’re old enough to remember those sorts of things Methuselah.

It was a *smile* way to manage Kaleb.

We could have put him on the bench, given him a run from there and that way he would have been able to get in front of the ball when we were travelling well. Generate some confidence maybe.

Instead, we subbed him on with 17 minutes to go when Geelong were running all over the top of us. He had to pick up Close who was going crazy with all the ball they were winning. That’s a *smile* position to put a young kid on debut in.

Bad management from Yze for mine.
So he learns quick that he has to work harder.
It was a tough initiation. The AFL is tough.
And initiation is meant to be a growth.

We don't know. Maybe. It seems to be best practice. At the very least standard practice

No overreaction?
Its reprehensible. Its pathetic. Its a black mark against Yze. A fail by the match committee.

That's a lot of knickers in a twist
We're not the only club to debut players as the sub. How do you think those ones that debuted a couple of years ago that didn't even get on the field felt?

It happens all the time. McAuliffe was the same, Green too. He played, he's cracked the seniors, got a few touches. Good on him and I'm sure he's rapt for the opportunity.

So he learns quick that he has to work harder.
It was a tough initiation. The AFL is tough.
And initiation is meant to be a growth.

We don't know. Maybe. It seems to be best practice. At the very least standard practice
Maybe a psychological way to calm the kid's nerves. Get the feel of the atmosphere (day or night game) and get some mentoring while on the bench until you're ready to jump in and swim.

Regardless of the minutes on the ground, the whole family would have been welcomed to the club, given a tour, enjoyed the inner sanctum, met some key club people, put up in a nice hotel and had a ripper weekend.

Reactions: 6 users
Leaving aside the subgate issue, didn't Short lift with his replacement in the side?

We know that el regardless of performance in the golden years Dogwick presented Short with a Happy Meal voucher after every game. Maybe Yze could give Smith a Happy Meal voucher at training as a square off for not bringing him on earlier. Short would storm out of training and fly impromptu up to Gold Coast for a tour of the facilities. When life gives us lemons.

View attachment 22938
Jason Bennett should buy Smithy a Big Mac. He called Brown for kicking out after a behind, when it was Smithy, and Holmes tackling Ralphsmith OOB, when it was Smithy.

• Haha
Jason Bennett should buy Smithy a Big Mac. He called Brown for kicking out after a behind, when it was Smithy, and Holmes tackling Ralphsmith OOB, when it was Smithy.
Yeah before Smith was ever called Smith in an AFL game he was called Brown and Ralphsmith.

• Haha
Don't know what all the fuss is about. Debuts are often the sub these days, yes it can mean only a short time on the ground, but it eases them into the seniors. It is quite a step up so even limited time is valuable.

A fair number of comments above about how cut-throat footy is. Yes, it is cut-throat, which is why you don't put a debutante on until you reckon he can be useful or someone else is forced off. We are in the game to win, we had a bit of a chance last night but could not match Geelong for a whole game. You play the best players you have at your disposal and a debutante is somewhat of an unknown quality stepping up to the level.

Kaleb Smith has played a seniors game, good on him, hope he gets a few games easing into the higher level of AFL, and does well.

DS

Reactions: 6 users
Always interesting reading Boomers and Gen Xers (aka the vast, vast majority of us, myself included) on here explain how the Gen Zers should just toughen up and ... blah blah blah.

Times change and if you don't change with the times you're left behind.

Gen Zer's are not stupid and unlike our generations they don't and won't take any sh!t. They more than aware when someone is being disingenuous.

Yze needs to be careful or he'll lose them - just as Clarkson has lost the North team.

• Dislike
  • Wow
  • Haha
Always interesting reading Boomers and Gen Xers (aka the vast, vast majority of us, myself included) on here explain how the Gen Zers should just toughen up and ... blah blah blah.

Times change and if you don't change with the times you're left behind.

Gen Zer's are not stupid and unlike our generations they don't and won't take any sh!t. They more than aware when someone is being disingenuous.

Yze needs to be careful or he'll lose them - just as Clarkson has lost the North team.

Just when I thought this thread could not get any worse we now have the clickbait sociology of Gen X vs Millenials as well

• Haha