Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Ross was pretty much guaranteed a premiership medal in 2019 until an 11th hour decision to pick an untried Marlin Pickett for the GF.
No problem with that decision, but I hate the call that’s sometimes made of a player, that he’s not good enough to play in a premiership team. Every premiership team, as you show Brodders, contains a number of valuable “vanilla”, or “ordinary” footballers.
And Corey Ellis was an emergency in 2017.

Reactions: 1 users
I always have a bit of a laugh at the “vanilla” comment about players.
A lot of footballers are vanilla, in the sense that they are just good all round footballers without any particular stand out skill.
Oh you mean like Liam Baker. He has a competetiveness about him that makes up for the lack of an outstanding attribute.

But we all know there are those who get games who lack horribly in areas who really are less than Vanilla. It will only get worse in seasons to come with yet another team entering the comp watering down the talent pool even more.

Imo smart clubs are actively looking for upgrades on these so called vanilla ordinary types. They move them onto any club that is silly enough to take them or simply delist them once they have identified an upgrade.
While other clubs fall into disarray simply by hanging onto them and they become riddled right thru your list.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Ross was pretty much guaranteed a premiership medal in 2019 until an 11th hour decision to pick an untried Marlin Pickett for the GF.
No problem with that decision, but I hate the call that’s sometimes made of a player, that he’s not good enough to play in a premiership team. Every premiership team, as you show Brodders, contains a number of valuable “vanilla”, or “ordinary” footballers.
If I’d picked the team it would be IN Ross, out B Ellis
But I do get the difference in playing style though

Ellis was very lucky to be playing in our 2019 grand final team based on his form at the time.

Oh you mean like Liam Baker. He has a competetiveness about him that makes up for the lack of an outstanding attribute.

But we all know there are those who get games who lack horribly in areas who really are less than Vanilla. It will only get worse in seasons to come with yet another team entering the comp watering down the talent pool even more.

Imo smart clubs are actively looking for upgrades on these so called vanilla ordinary types. They move them onto any club that is silly enough to take them or simply delist them once they have identified an upgrade.
While other clubs fall into disarray simply by hanging onto them and they become riddled right thru your list.
Where did I mention Liam Baker?

I must say that I had hi hopes of Banks being an elite kick, I thought that might be real a point of difference. It might still happen when he grows in confidence and feels more comfortable at the level, but I haven't seen it yet.
Great goal Sammy, that’s what we’re wanting to see.

He was pretty good today. He was basically on the other side of the ground from the play in the 2nd quarter and couldn’t get near it but apart from that was pretty good.

like the look of this bloke, reckon he'll turn into a very good player
Still only 21. 17 games into his career, a few have already written him off.
I’m with you, he’ll still have an off game here and there, but persist, learn and grow some confidence. It’s not the easiest tea: to shine in for a young player at the moment. But he’s doing ok.

We need to get the ball on his hands more often. I was very close to him a few times today and his kicking was really good. Very good user when he gets the opportunity.

He is yet to work out how to consistently be involved in the game, become an outlet more often, but he is definitely improving.

Reactions: 10 users
Actually looking a bit bigger and stronger. Hopefully another preseason or 2 will help.

He is quick and has good foot skills

Reactions: 1 users
We need to get the ball on his hands more often. I was very close to him a few times today and his kicking was really good. Very good user when he gets the opportunity.

He is yet to work out how to consistently be involved in the game, become an outlet more often, but he is definitely improving.
Good post and it may have been only you and I that didn't lose faith in him. That inboard kick from the wing with the outside of his foot to the edge of 50 was a thing of beauty.

So many on here have potted him this year, its remarkable what a run in the team and playing games does for you. Only played his 18th game today and maybe he's starting to believe he belongs.

Reactions: 4 users
Good post and it may have been only you and I that didn't lose faith in him. That inboard kick from the wing with the outside of his foot to the edge of 50 was a thing of beauty.

So many on here have potted him this year, its remarkable what a run in the team and playing games does for you. Only played his 18th game today and maybe he's starting to believe he belongs.
Exactly right Posh.

That kick was awesome. When he kicked it he was quite close to me.