Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Helps that Hugo and Banks get extended time on the wings to learn.

Pickett and McIntosh slowed development and declined as footballers while taking time away from the kids.

Utter madness.
We will never see Pickett or Macintosh on a wing again.

They will be used as bit part players to help the kids.

Reactions: 4 users
Started well, disappeared at times, did well at others. Probably his best game. Felt like his best attack on the ball.

First Hugo, now Banks. Hope for Sonz.
Any hope for Brown? He’s in the same basket other than his pretty kicking action

Reactions: 1 user
We will never see Pickett or Macintosh on a wing again.

They will be used as bit part players to help the kids.
Perhaps we should have Pickett as the sub next year. He can play the last 10 minutes of each game until he reaches 100 games and then retire before midseason draft.

Reactions: 2 users
You see a little glimpse and think okay then you see very little and a few worrying signs.

Not sold not prepared to write him off yet. Only one way to find out though is keep playing him..

I think he needs to be sent to the abbatoir not for knackering but to fill out. Lock him in until hes gained 10kg

That was his best game for the club IMO. He's bought in. 22yo next April. Not that far off cementing a spot. Big improver over the past month.

Reactions: 5 users
Still not sure if he’ll make it, I reckon his skills are fine and his contested game will improve with another preseason in the gym but I’m concerned about his leg speed.

I did notice that he has a nice evasive lateral step movement which will help him somewhat when he has ball in hand… but as I mentioned I’m concerned when he doesn’t have the ball players run away from him too often/easily.

Hope he can improve that aspect.

Reactions: 1 user
22 years old next season with another pre season under his belt and what he needs is to build his tank a bit more.

For every Daicos, Reid and Sheezel there are 10 kids who take 2-4 years to become good solid AFL players. 22 Y/O is about right for most of them to feel comfortable at the level and with their bodies and have the tank to consistently play well. A lot of wingers and running half backs come good at that age.

Green shoots with Banksy and I've said before there is something about him I like. What we are seeing is him being involved in chains of possession more. I was on his wing in the last quarter against the giants and watched him closely and he was very good, worked hard and his delivery is very good.

I reckon there were two watershed moments for Banksy this season. One was standing in a hole and getting crunched against the Dogs, he didn't flinch. The other was coming back from that and getting 37 in the VFL which was the first time he really dominated at that level, he had played well plenty of times but not like that.

You see it with him, Brown, Ralphsmith, Moju (earlier this season) and Mansell they just get slowly better. Doesn't mean they will all be stars or they will all make it but geez we write players off quickly sometimes, especially players with talent.

Reactions: 10 users
I reckon there were two watershed moments for Banksy this season. One was standing in a hole and getting crunched against the Dogs, he didn't flinch.
You sure you've got the right player there Sinner????
Old mate Stig keeps telling everyone that Banksy's a soft *smile*, plays timid n sleeps with the light on. There's no way Banksy would have gone back with the flight n let himself get obliterated by the incoming like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You sure you've got the right player there Sinner????
Old mate Stig keeps telling everyone that Banksy's a soft *smile*, plays timid n sleeps with the light on. There's no way Banksy would have gone back with the flight n let himself get obliterated by the incoming like that.
Stig is my reverse barometer on Richmond players TM.

He very kindly bagged Moju all pre season and then he proceeded to play the best footy of his career. I must PM him and get him to smash into Tyler Sonsie...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
but geez we write players off quickly sometimes.

I reckon the last 10 years prior to this (remembering we were finishing 5th from 2013 prior to the 17 turnaround, and were generally a good team since then) has absolutely spoilt us supporters, and many have forgotten what its like to watch developing kids play important roles.

During the dominant period a bolton or balta could come in and be supported by the surrounding stars and middle rung players. Kids in '24 are carrying key roles and positions due to list turnover, injuries, structural gaps in list. They can't come in and be a cherry on top, it's harder for them, and supporters mindset is already more negative because not winning, so little to no benefit of the doubt shown.

Surely we all remember the 00's and what this is like. They don't all make it in the end, but generally can't make the call until 50 games for anyone borderline that shows potential. Plus no-one healthy on the list is a top 10 pick, who usually do show more early (see gibcus pre injuries), which is something to look forward to next year

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
I reckon the last 10 years prior to this (remembering we were finishing 5th from 2013 prior to the 17 turnaround, and were generally a good team since then) has absolutely spoilt us supporters, and many have forgotten what its like to watch developing kids play important roles.

During the dominant period a bolton or balta could come in and be supported by the surrounding stars and middle rung players. Kids in '24 are carrying key roles and positions due to list turnover, injuries, structural gaps in list. They can't come in and be a cherry on top, it's harder for them, and supporters mindset is already more negative because not winning, so little to no benefit of the doubt shown.

Surely we all remember the 00's and what this is like. They don't all make it in the end, but generally can't make the call until 50 games for anyone borderline that shows potential. Plus no-one healthy on the list is a top 10 pick, who usually do show more early (see gibcus pre injuries), which is something to look forward to next year
A great post.

Banksy has been a slow burn, his last couple of games have been a bit better, is starting to grow in confidence.

Banksy has been a slow burn, his last couple of games have been a bit better, is starting to grow in confidence.
Hugo has athleticism and runs fast all day,
Brown has a very good leg on him.
Mansell is a stick of dynamite and can kick a goal.
Just not sure what Banks has that makes him any more than vanilla.

Hugo has athleticism and runs fast all day,
Brown has a very good leg on him.
Mansell is a stick of dynamite and can kick a goal.
Just not sure what Banks has that makes him any more than vanilla.
I must say that I had hi hopes of Banks being an elite kick, I thought that might be real a point of difference. It might still happen when he grows in confidence and feels more comfortable at the level, but I haven't seen it yet.

Stig is my reverse barometer on Richmond players TM.

He very kindly bagged Moju all pre season and then he proceeded to play the best footy of his career. I must PM him and get him to smash into Tyler Sonsie...
Thats a good solution and immediately means we can get great value from Stig's previously worthless posts.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Same as Kmac.

Was going to say that, many people would say Kmac is vanilla but he's been an important cog to our team for years now and especially through those premiership years. Not every player in the team needs to (and can be) a star.

Reactions: 2 users
Sam has good to very good endurance and repeat "surge run" capacity. It's noticeable the amount of defensive running he does and then how often is available in a forward surge. Whilst he may not have Rhyan like physicality he can and does mark an opposition player defensively.

I had hoped his improvement slope would be steeper but there is noticeable improvement in him and he is being "pushed" to improve further by the development coaches.