Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Got all of 16 career games up so far, needs all of next year under the belt before we get a true indication of what we've got, but same as a few of the other young blokes on the list there's enough there to be interesting. They simply need the opportunity to play and develop properly and considering the disaster that this season has been injury wise, they've been asked to carry more game load than would normally be expected.

Reactions: 3 users
Same as Kmac.
Nothing like KMac.
KMac is an endurance beast. In the top 3 at the club. Sam not even top 10. He’s instructed to run tirelessly up and down the fat part of the wing all day, filling space and is also a physical brute. That’s his skill set.
He may be coming to the end of his career or getting overtaken by some developing youth, but Banks isn’t providing the better alternative atm and frankly can’t see him doing it.
Ralphsmith is a better comparison to KMac.
Banks to my eye most resembles Ross who has developed composure and a decent side step in traffic. Let’s hope Banks can keep improving. But like Ross, if they’re both best 22, we’re probably not that competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing like KMac.
KMac is an endurance beast. In the top 3 at the club. Sam not even top 10. He’s instructed to run tirelessly up and down the fat part of the wing all day, filling space and is also a physical brute. That’s his skill set.
He may be coming to the end of his career or getting overtaken by some developing youth, but Banks isn’t providing the better alternative atm and frankly can’t see him doing it.
Banks to my eye most resembles Ross who has developed composure and a decent side step in traffic. Let’s hope Banks can keep improving. But like Ross, if they’re both best 22, we’re probably not that competitive.
Interesting all 3 were top of the list for distance at high speed in the last game.

Screenshot_2024-07-25-17-22-46-65_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Nothing like KMac.
Yeah Nah. 1721903652800.png

Frampton, Hoskin-Elliot, Murphy, Cox, Lipinski and Markov were all "best 22" or thereabouts for last years premiership team.

I reckon Banks can at least reach the heights of most of them, Ross too (he probably already has.)

Reactions: 5 users
Frampton, Hoskin-Elliot, Murphy, Cox, Lipinski and Markov were all "best 22" or thereabouts for last years premiership team.

I reckon Banks can at least reach the heights of most of them, Ross too (he probably already has.)
Hoskin-Elliot, Murphy and Lipinski miles ahead of Banks and would all get picked before Banks in any team. They’re all better than gap fillers.
Cox, on his day as we well know, is very serviceable. Only Markov and Frampton from your list illustrate your point that every team has their role players.
We had more than our share of role players too but they all had something in their tool bag to deserve their spot, be it speed, endurance, toughness etc.
Not really sure what Banks is carrying in his but luckily he’s got time and opportunity on his side.

Reactions: 3 users
I get all the draftees come on at different speeds in terms of endurance, strength, speed.

But some clubs put more of a focus on the strength/power and this is an area I reckon we lack in. So on Banks, he'll never be psycho in/under but he can get himself a heap stronger/powerful and I would bet it would help his footy no end. I look at Warner and Heaney from the Swans...guns both of them but they have turned themselves into power athletes and it just works.
yep, it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Ross was pretty much guaranteed a premiership medal in 2019 until an 11th hour decision to pick an untried Marlin Pickett for the GF.
No problem with that decision, but I hate the call that’s sometimes made of a player, that he’s not good enough to play in a premiership team. Every premiership team, as you show Brodders, contains a number of valuable “vanilla”, or “ordinary” footballers.

Reactions: 6 users
Ross was pretty much guaranteed a premiership medal in 2019 until an 11th hour decision to pick an untried Marlin Pickett for the GF.
No problem with that decision, but I hate the call that’s sometimes made of a player, that he’s not good enough to play in a premiership team. Every premiership team, as you show Brodders, contains a number of valuable “vanilla”, or “ordinary” footballers.
I always have a bit of a laugh at the “vanilla” comment about players.
A lot of footballers are vanilla, in the sense that they are just good all round footballers without any particular stand out skill.

Reactions: 7 users
I always have a bit of a laugh at the “vanilla” comment about players.
A lot of footballers are vanilla, in the sense that they are just good all round footballers without any particular stand out skill.

Jack D called them "good ordinary footballers". Every side needs them.

Reactions: 1 users
Jack D called them "good ordinary footballers". Every side needs them.
Pretty sure it was Bosustow that Jack D called a good ordinary footballer, left pretty much the rest of the footy panel of the time stunned n spluttering.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users