Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Nank and Timmy carried the contested stats.
Absolutely no-one is questioning their mettle.

The outside players we have recently drafted are average, at best.
Average doesn't win premierships.

It's a problem.
That’s not related to what I posted. I wasn’t posting about their quality as players

Noticeable in the GWS v Carlton game the young Giants players all looked absolutely ripped, even the little, fast ones. They’ve come in as kids and are ready in the body. As f or guys like Cumming…Jesus.
I get all the draftees come on at different speeds in terms of endurance, strength, speed.

But some clubs put more of a focus on the strength/power and this is an area I reckon we lack in. So on Banks, he'll never be psycho in/under but he can get himself a heap stronger/powerful and I would bet it would help his footy no end. I look at Warner and Heaney from the Swans...guns both of them but they have turned themselves into power athletes and it just works.

Reactions: 2 users
It goes back a few weeks Jack. He had that breakout 37 possession game in the vfl and followed up with 2 games where he got high possessions playing as the carryover for the seniors and was taken off early.
I have always liked Banks, there is something about him that makes me think he is a slow burn and will be ok
I hear people say no elite traits but most footballers don't have elite traits. Many of them are just good at lots of things, they are just good all round footballers.
I compared him to Langdon at Melbourne and was howled down about Langdon being a soft footballer etc. Yet Langdon gets picked every week and turns up and does a job for Melbourne on his wing, he is a premiership player. Sam needs his tank to be a Langdon
I agree totally, Sin. I think he's a project. He did have that break out game, Sin. 37 = above the level. And then got the cuddle in the ones. The cuddle gives them confidence. Belief/Buy-in/Activity(compliance). That's the holy trinity. I can see why Yze would give Banks the cuddle. And Banks ran. That's buy-in.

I think Banks does have an elite characteristic. I think it's discipline. I'd like to see him given a lockdown role for the odd quarter. On somebody who can play. Then free to run again. It's a development year for everybody.

Langdon is an interesting comparison. He was 22yo when he played his first full season. He learned discipline at Melbourne. Plays tight now.

Reactions: 2 users
Put those players in a better programme with fitness and conditioning and development you will be wrong.
I don't know about will be wrong but certainly if a lot of development in all areas is put into the likes of those mentions ( and other cubs) then they could really make it rather than will

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what why people don't like this kid. Nice mover good skills good poise. How many games has he played. Id take him over Sonsie and Dow any day of the week.

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure what why people don't like this kid. Nice mover good skills good poise. How many games has he played. Id take him over Sonsie and Dow any day of the week.
You can't give much higher praise than that!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Thought he showed some glimpses of being a player today. He's got a long way to go but is in front of Sonz for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Looked better as the game went on and defended well. Has a reasonably accurate kick on him. Starting to become accustomed to the speed of the game

Reactions: 4 users
Started well, disappeared at times, did well at others. Probably his best game. Felt like his best attack on the ball.

First Hugo, now Banks. Hope for Sonz.

Reactions: 6 users
Started well, disappeared at times, did well at others. Probably his best game. Felt like his best attack on the ball.

First Hugo, now Banks. Hope for Sonz.
Helps that Hugo and Banks get extended time on the wings to learn.

Pickett and McIntosh slowed development and declined as footballers while taking time away from the kids.

Utter madness.

Reactions: 3 users
Helps that Hugo and Banks get extended time on the wings to learn.

Pickett and McIntosh slowed development and declined as footballers while taking time away from the kids.

Utter madness.
I reckon they got extended time in the 2s to learn and benefited from it. Now they're ready to grow at AFL level.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users