Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

He desperately needs to build an AFL body. I’m sick of these kids 3/4 years in who still look like the 17yr old. Pull your finger out Sam

Reactions: 2 users
He desperately needs to build an AFL body. I’m sick of these kids 3/4 years in who still look like the 17yr old. Pull your finger out Sam
It’s not his fault.
It’s Matthew Clarke’s.
Turn them over.

Reactions: 1 user
You reckon we should delist Banks?
Another skinny outside player that doesn't like body contact.
No elite traits / low ceiling.
I don't think he's capable of being best 22 in a challenging side.
We will turn over plenty at season's end and can't play the draftees R1 2025 so of course Blair will ensure Banks will go around again next year.
But I reckon he's a clogger and should be turned over.

Noticeable in the GWS v Carlton game the young Giants players all looked absolutely ripped, even the little, fast ones. They’ve come in as kids and are ready in the body. As f or guys like Cumming…Jesus.

Put em on the Abrahamsen diet...guy went from 60 to 80kg (and got taller!?!) and now holding his own at TDF.

Exactly. Very timid. Very skinny. Was very poor defensively in earlier games and a reason he was dropped. Opponent wingmen were running rings around him. Did do well once he came on but have to temper this with fact he only played last quarter when game was over and heat was off and game had opened up. Who's spot does he take in the backline if that's what they have planned for him? I prefer Tresize if that's the spot at this stage.

Screenshot_2024-07-08-12-01-42-42_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg

Yeah, he seems to have more urgency in his game. Less hesitant when he gets the ball and more go go go. Needs to play ahead of campbell.
Campbell played forward. Banks back-pocket so not like for like. Campbell"s spot would have to go to someone like Dusty, Greene, Coulthard.

Interesting in that list of top 10 from every state in 2020, by my count only 3 of those kids were drafted.
The constant call for speed needs to be tempered imo. Don't get me wrong we need some players who can run fast but teams that look quick do so primarily because of the way they use and share the ball. What is that "Dimmarism" , no matter how fast a player is you can always move the ball faster by hand and foot than they can run?
Part of the reason we look slow is because we don't have the connection to move the ball quickly and I am not sure why we should be surprised with 41 players used this year and a mountain of injured players.
I am all for getting quick players but I am more interested in creating a teamwork connection to move the footy and getting players who can be part of that rather than 23 Usain Bolts.

Reactions: 11 users
Terrific sourcing, toothless. Thank you for the info. So. Banks is pefectly adequate speed-wise on that data but just doesn't run quickly. He's not at home on the park that's for sure. Why doesn't he run?

Why didn't Mabior? Minson? Sonsie? Cumberland? Ralphsmith?

I can understand people writing Spunk off in the lead up to his break out VFL game of last week. He's looked lost.

But lost or not in the VFL Sam Banks finally got busy. That's a breakthrough. It was engineered. No doubt about that. And the competition was very soft. But he got busy. Now he has to get busier. I hope he gets a few more weeks of busy VFL.

Sam Banks's biggest challenge is confidence. He doesn't believe. Yet.
It goes back a few weeks Jack. He had that breakout 37 possession game in the vfl and followed up with 2 games where he got high possessions playing as the carryover for the seniors and was taken off early.
I have always liked Banks, there is something about him that makes me think he is a slow burn and will be ok
I hear people say no elite traits but most footballers don't have elite traits. Many of them are just good at lots of things, they are just good all round footballers.
I compared him to Langdon at Melbourne and was howled down about Langdon being a soft footballer etc. Yet Langdon gets picked every week and turns up and does a job for Melbourne on his wing, he is a premiership player. Sam needs his tank to be a Langdon

Reactions: 2 users
For me comes back to fitness and conditioning program is a mess.

We are seeing exactly why Banks played 30 games in the VFL before making his debut. Lacks the competitiveness needed to succeed at the top level.

Funny how Banks, Sonsie and even Brown all have similar strengths and weaknesses in their game. Almost like there was a systemic failure in our 2021 draft selections.

• Sad
It goes back a few weeks Jack. He had that breakout 37 possession game in the vfl and followed up with 2 games where he got high possessions playing as the carryover for the seniors and was taken off early.
I have always liked Banks, there is something about him that makes me think he is a slow burn and will be ok
I hear people say no elite traits but most footballers don't have elite traits. Many of them are just good at lots of things, they are just good all round footballers.
I compared him to Langdon at Melbourne and was howled down about Langdon being a soft footballer etc. Yet Langdon gets picked every week and turns up and does a job for Melbourne on his wing, he is a premiership player. Sam needs his tank to be a Langdon
Yep. He will be a player.
It appears some expect all draftees to enter the AFL ready to play in a premiership.

Yep. He will be a player.
It appears some expect all draftees to enter the AFL ready to play in a premiership.
Think it is more that a pretty fair number of our draftees look like the 2024 edition of Aaron Fiora.

And that's a worry!

I’m seriously getting jack of hearing this stuff about players being soft.
There is nothing wrong with our contested game. Once again on the weekend we matched the number 1 ranked clearance team for clearances and contested possession. We are fine around the contest and have been for a little while with Taranto and Hopper back especially.
Guess where we aren’t fine? Yep, outside the contest, run and carry, ball movement.
That’s where outside players play.
Some would have us playing stacks on the mill every time the ball is in dispute.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m seriously getting jack of hearing this stuff about players being soft.
There is nothing wrong with our contested game. Once again on the weekend we matched the number 1 ranked clearance team for clearances and contested possession. We are fine around the contest and have been for a little while with Taranto and Hopper back especially.
Guess where we aren’t fine? Yep, outside the contest, run and carry, ball movement.
That’s where outside players play.
Some would have us playing stacks on the mill every time the ball is in dispute.
Nank and Timmy carried the contested stats.
Absolutely no-one is questioning their mettle.

The outside players we have recently drafted are average, at best.
Average doesn't win premierships.

It's a problem.

Reactions: 1 users