Welcome Jacob Blight | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Jacob Blight

Certainly an outspoken fella 😛

Blight thinks it'd be "false" to sack Hinkley soon as Power could win next four games​

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
unpopular opinion, Reckon Blight sounds like a low key ball breaker
Hope he starts his career by breaking Curnow, McKay n Vossy's balls then on Sunday arvo. Won't be anything low key about the young fella then.

Reactions: 1 users
Good on him, yes, he came in as a slightly older player who was already playing seniors. But this is a quick step into the top level and 2 big challenging forwards to deal with.

Hope he does well but we have to expect he will have good moments and bad moments. If he can read the play well then that will be a his saving grace.

Let's see, and let's give him a few games so he can learn what its all about at AFL level.

DS
He’s certainly in great physical condition and a good size for a key back. Brief website piece also shows character & drive to be an AFL player. Best of luck to him.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
best wishes Jacob for your first game. May you do very well and continue your top game for Richmond for years to come. Go Jacob Go.

Reactions: 9 users
Miller - McKay
Broad - Curnow

Malcolm can then take a lesser role and use his excellent intercept marking to assist.
Maybe, Curnow is a bit bigger and stronger than the talls Broad usually plays on, but it might be our best option if Balta goes forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Miller - McKay
Broad - Curnow

Malcolm can then take a lesser role and use his excellent intercept marking to assist.

Agreed. Carlton are good but they can be quite predictable going inside 50. It was obvious in Round 1, but there were also some stats out a few weeks back around F50 targets for each side, and McKay and Curnow were something like the target about 90% of the time, the highest in the AFL. Aim has to be to intercept those balls in, so have Miller and Broad engage (and not hold or it'll be called a block, especially with them being the umps pets), and allow Blight and Vlastuin to come in and intercept.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe, Curnow is a bit bigger and stronger than the talls Broad usually plays on, but it might be our best option if Balta goes forward.
good match up Broad v Curnow lookout for the easy frees to Curnow everytime a defender goes near him

• Sad
God feel for the bloke playing against the 2 best forwards in the comp in his first game and both have pace as well, something blight doesn't have so I hope we can force dirty ball with pressure or it could be a nightmare debut for him. Blues will kick 150 points if it's dry 60+ inside 50s. He seems to have a good attitude and head on his shoulders, I just hope it doesn't ruin his confidence.

Looks like an excellent marking defender. I'll be very interested to see if his pace is an issue.

I have watched Jacob come through as a junior in Albany. Quite a confident kid, but not over the top. Will not be overawed on Sunday, indeed will relish the opportunity this game presents with Carlton's tall forwards and will give it 110%.

He was well worth the punt when we picked him up.

His pace issue stems from speed off the mark IMO. He is not great in this regard, and it has contributed to him being an excellent reader of the play by way of compensation. He has great hands and is considered a very good intercept defender. But.......

That lack of explosive pace means he can struggle to consistently make contests. When he gets to the contest he is a great competitor and often wins them. But what highlights packages don't show is when a player doesn't get to the contest at all. This is my worry at AFL level for him.

His kicking is very accurate, but can lack distance at times, and can be a bit slow through the air, which is another thing he will need to watch in the AFL. He is a risk taker by foot and backs himself in, which you can do in the WAFL, so it will be interesting to see how this translates at AFL level.

I am really looking forward to his game against the Blues. I'd play him on McKay personally, because Harry will get him to the contest and I'd back Jacob to make a fair fist of it in the air against him. He will greatly trouble McKay and Curnow if the ball is on the ground.

Reactions: 11 users
Curnow & MacKay score on average five goals per game, would be good to have a player blocking and absorbing the space in front, so they cannot lead into it.
Think McKay plays further up the ground than Curnow.

I have watched Jacob come through as a junior in Albany. Quite a confident kid, but not over the top. Will not be overawed on Sunday, indeed will relish the opportunity this game presents with Carlton's tall forwards and will give it 110%.

He was well worth the punt when we picked him up.

His pace issue stems from speed off the mark IMO. He is not great in this regard, and it has contributed to him being an excellent reader of the play by way of compensation. He has great hands and is considered a very good intercept defender. But.......

That lack of explosive pace means he can struggle to consistently make contests. When he gets to the contest he is a great competitor and often wins them. But what highlights packages don't show is when a player doesn't get to the contest at all. This is my worry at AFL level for him.

His kicking is very accurate, but can lack distance at times, and can be a bit slow through the air, which is another thing he will need to watch in the AFL. He is a risk taker by foot and backs himself in, which you can do in the WAFL, so it will be interesting to see how this translates at AFL level.

I am really looking forward to his game against the Blues. I'd play him on McKay personally, because Harry will get him to the contest and I'd back Jacob to make a fair fist of it in the air against him. He will greatly trouble McKay and Curnow if the ball is on the ground.
Valuable personal insight for us Streak. We're excited to see how he goes but we need to keep in mind his VFL performances were of course against VFL standard forwards so we shouldn't expect the same marking stats against Carlton. Hope we see a mix of spoils and a few marks to show he's having fun. Many thanks.

Hope the kid go’s well , imho it’s a great team to start against , hes going to know exactly how tough a gig the AFL is .

Hopefully his not judged to much on his first game , goodly or badly

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I have been fairly vocal about Blight not yet ready for AFL but he sure proved me wrong today. Still a little raw and needs time to get into whatever systems we are allegedly using but he did us and himself proud today in his first game as a Tiger. Up against some highly experience opposition Mckay) but they know they had a game on their hands. A definite keeper

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users