Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

For me it’s more the question of is he good enough to be a top 4 teams wingman , not so much been the best wingman at the club. If we are talking just on playing the Wing, he’s only really got the old premiership wingman as competition, Clarke is one who I think could be more damaging, Campbell looks he could play there , however think he may go through the middle ,Ross has played good and better footy then Hugo on a wing , I prefer the potential of Banks over Hugo .

Said for years I’d like to see DRioli or Short given a month or 2 on a wing , we appear to young half backs , however not much in the wing department.

If Yze didn’t take Pickett of a wing and Hugo a chance to prove himself , Hugo wouldn’t have been able for plenty to want to keep him on the list .

So as we speak CTT , there’s not much ahead of him but that’s a bloody low ceiling
I agree about the ceiling, but for the next 2 - 3 years that’s where we are.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a different angle on some of this.

We have a bundle of young half backs so one move ive wanted us to try for a few seasons is Dan Rioli to a wing.
He would make a marvelous attacking winger imo with that defensive mindset that would see him run hard both ways.
This allows us to play Banks Trezise Smith in their natural roles at hb.

For me both roles are similar and i think Smith in particular has the footskills pace and ability to run lines and deliver well into the forward 50.

Banks i think could also play wing well i think he has better footskills than Hugo. Just needs to toughen up a bit.
Last one and its probably a bit late for it to happen. I always thought Broady would make an excellent winger with Brown and Trezise needing games why not.

Reactions: 1 user
I like what the kids done for his career , his got tougher in his contest footy , he generally keeps it simple with his disposal , however even though imho he’s improved quite a bit , I’ve seen enough now to say I’d move him on , others will disagree , however I don’t want to put more time into 23 year old fringes , I’d rather another a draft pick who could be our next Baker, Miller, Grimes . If Hugo gets to 100 games I doubt where playing finals

Reactions: 2 users
I like what the kids done for his career , his got tougher in his contest footy , he generally keeps it simple with his disposal , however even though imho he’s improved quite a bit , I’ve seen enough now to say I’d move him on , others will disagree , however I don’t want to put more time into 23 year old fringes , I’d rather another a draft pick who could be our next Baker, Miller, Grimes . If Hugo gets to 100 games I doubt where playing finals
I'd possibly be keeping him as a depth player, not a starting 22, unless Banks is on the other wing and he's replacing Flappers.
That said, I'd be keeping McIntosh.
Need some senior bodies to shield some of the younger guys, but I dont see him being around in 2-3 years. I see us as 5+ from contending.

Average player in bottom team.
Like Sonsie, Banks and others.
The tides gone out and now all can see the results of Clarke’s five years of bog average drafting.
This is the year we had to have, to shed the hubris and complacency.
Need to turn the cloggers over and start again.
And to restate the obvious, so glad we didn’t draft Sam Davidson in the mid year draft; we might have landed a player.
Bet he gets pinched by another club in November.

Last edited:
Dan Rioli to a wing anyone. Reckon Smiffy with a motor would be ideal there as well.
I would even like to see them try Trezise on a wing.

Banks maybe, Pretty sure we can't play him anywhere but an outside run role.
Sure is the season to try a few thru there why not Coulthard rather than pigeon hole him forward.

It just gnaws at the back of the head, yes Ralphsmith has been better in aspects of his game, but he is in year 5 and is no longer a kid imo.
A running outside player with limited hurt factor with ball in hand,who should still be doing a hell of a lot better than he is.
It could well be what improvement we have seen may be all we are going to get!!!! imo that is not enough.

He has improved a lot. Plenty of reasons to keep persisting with him. But I was frustrated with his kicking last night.

He never stops running or trying even though he can’t kick. We’ll need to uograde him eventually but he’s the least of our problems atm.

He never stops running or trying even though he can’t kick. We’ll need to uograde him eventually but he’s the least of our problems atm.
He’s not the least of our problems. He’s part of it. A 5th year outside player with poor disposal, who struggles to win the ball is not an AFL level player. There’s only been marginal improvement.
Turn them over.

Reactions: 6 users
He’s not the least of our problems. He’s part of it. A 5th year outside player with poor disposal, who struggles to win the ball is not an AFL level player. There’s only been marginal improvement.
Turn them over.
Tend to agree with this. We are going to be blooding 5-8 draftees over the next 12-18 months. He will just be taking minutes away from them. I just dont see AFL player in him. Although he has improved it was from a very low base.

Turn them over.
I agree ToO but as I mentioned elsewhere I reckon we’ll have a swag of older guys retire/delist etc (Grimes, Dusty, Prestia, Naismith, Marlion) and Coulthard will probably go too which may well save the likes of HRS, Cumbo, Sonsie.

I like the fact that he has worked hard and improved immeasurably from last season. He can run all day and get to the drop of the ball and seems unable to make a tackle stick which to my mind making a tackle is a non negotiable need

I like the fact that he has worked hard and improved immeasurably from last season.
14 disposal average in 2022.
11 disposal average in 2023.
13 disposal average in 2024.

3 turnover average in 2022.
2 turnover average in 2023.
3 turnover average in 2024.

3 mark average in 2022.
3 mark average in 2023.
4 mark average in 2024.

74% TOG 2022.
56% TOG 2023.
90% TOG 2024.

So you could argue that he has in fact gone backwards seeing that he's had 34% more TOG this year and only averaged 2 more disposals a game than in 2023.

14 disposal average in 2022.
11 disposal average in 2023.
13 disposal average in 2024.

3 turnover average in 2022.
2 turnover average in 2023.
3 turnover average in 2024.

3 mark average in 2022.
3 mark average in 2023.
4 mark average in 2024.

74% TOG 2022.
56% TOG 2023.
90% TOG 2024.

So you could argue that he has in fact gone backwards seeing that he's had 34% more TOG this year and only averaged 2 more disposals a game than in 2023.
Stats don't always tell the whole story. Look at Shorty's stats, they look good but his influence in recent games has been negligible