Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

Now there’s a dilemma
What it is came down to Hugo or Marlion for the last spot?

A choice between a young winger who is barely good enough now but “potentially” could improve and play for a few years - and a bloke whose best is certainly behind him and likely can’t be expected to play beyond season ‘25 but “potentially” offers a couple of future draft picks

My compromise (so I’ve dodged my own question) would be to give Hugo 2 years and offer Marlion one year of payment on the basis that he retires at mid year
Don't think Hugo will get delisted. Might find a new home though.

Marlion 50/50 to stay on the list. The calf injury is really unfortunate timing.

Hugo's always had two significant issues.

Getting the ball, and using it.

He's athletic, quick, goes hard at it, and runs all day. These are his strengths.

His first touch has always been clean, while his second was usually panicked.

He must have started meditating. Because he's breathing now. He's getting the hard ball and making it easier. Composure. A running player lives or dies on ball use. I thought it was terminal, but he's found a second.

That's massive. A really big tick.

So now he's using it. Next we'll see if he can find it. He doesn't have the size or aerial luxury to be Marlion or Kamdyn. So he'll need to find the ball.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Is he though? In his 5th season he’s still struggling to find the ball. Hugo isn’t a kid anymore & despite some improvement it’s hardly a quantum leap imho. Uncontracted, he’s playing for his football career atm.
I’m not even convinced he’s playing senior football if others are available.
Our team lies second last. They will be asking themselves how much more improvement will there be from here in or do we look to bring fresh players in. At least they should be.

Reactions: 3 users
What’s the genuine winger talent look like in this years draft ?

I’m not convinced any of our starting wingers of this season will be there round 1 next year

Modern wing is a very tough gig,

And hugos last 10 have been adequate to good imo.

I think he deserves 2 more on min chips

Reactions: 11 users
Hugo is putting his head over the ball, running hard defensively and offensively to create an option and to create an extra number in defence.

Also halving 50/50 contests in true McIntosh fashion.

None of these will necessarily get him a stat but he has levelled up to an acceptable level in 2024.

I'd be giving him a contact before pickett if only one spot remained.

Reactions: 5 users
Is he though? In his 5th season he’s still struggling to find the ball. Hugo isn’t a kid anymore & despite some improvement it’s hardly a quantum leap imho.
Quantum is exactly what it is.

A very small, but distinct and significant, jump.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Geez, we must be starved for good young talent when Hugo’s form is described as a “shining light”. Barely adequate is closer to the mark.

Still, should get at least a one year extension, but no more than two.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Geez, we must be starved for good young talent when Hugo’s form is described as a “shining light”. Barely adequate is closer to the mark.

That’s the thing TF, we ARE starved for young talent. Hugo stays for mine.

Reactions: 2 users

That's the challenge/gamble for Blair.

Give him two years hoping he's improving enough that we keep him around for cheap or be concerned this is an anomaly and minimise our exposure.

Glad I'm not him. I'm not convinced by Hugo yet.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s actually a very good topic. What is the blueprint for a winger at the Tigers? If we could take any bono fide winger from any other team. Who would we want?

Reactions: 1 user
Geez, we must be starved for good young talent when Hugo’s form is described as a “shining light”.
Yes TF our stock of good young talent is thin. However, Hugo’s trajectory is the polar opposite of the team’s. Hard getting a kick in a mediocre team. Easier in a good team.

Hugo is doing well.

Reactions: 5 users