Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

It’s actually a very good topic. What is the blueprint for a winger at the Tigers? If we could take any bono fide winger from any other team. Who would we want?

Its a great discussion, mostly because I reckon amongst us fans the wing would have to be the most misunderstood position on the ground.

Who are the great wingers of the modern era?

Here on PRE we are constantly reminded that Richo played his last year on the wing and so now every key position player who is mobile should be given moved to the wing at some point. Forgetting the fact most would blow a gasket at quarter time.

The wing now is a structural position that has as defensive focus as much as anything else and requires a phenomenal amount of unrewarded power running and it takes a special athlete to be able be really good at the role.

Reactions: 7 users
My brother knows Shane Crawford pretty well, he reckons Hawks are into Smith big time. And possibly another’A grader’, I’m guessing LDU.

Bailey Smith is the perfect type for the Hawks IMO. Runs hard, fast. Suits their style perfectly.

I don't think LDU leaves this year, I just can't see anyone ponying up enough to tempt North. They will get a top 3 pick for him next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Bailey Smith is the perfect type for the Hawks IMO. Runs hard, fast. Suits their style perfectly.

I don't think LDU leaves this year, I just can't see anyone ponying up enough to tempt North. They will get a top 3 pick for him next year.
You usually always hit the hammer on the head with the nail Posh. 😜

LDU, maybe not the hawks then, but a club ready to contend and would gamble a couple of top draft picks. It might make for an interesting trade week.

Is Hugo a great indication of where we really are at ? For us to be happy with his progression this season and some fairly saying his been the highlight I’m not sure where that puts us ?

If we didn’t have an injury riddled season would he have done enough to maintain his wing?

If Hugo can continue to improve over the rest of the season , have a couple of high impact games , have a big preseason and improve as much again next season we will have a solid wingman , in saying that if we do get offered a pick similar to what we paid for Hugo I’d take the punt .

Worries me a lot that our highlights this year a players who started on a very low base ( edge of delisting) and now have improved to handy types .

This years and the previous 3 drafts are ginormous for us , our new bloke could make or break his career on this one draft , that’s how important I see this to us .

Well done to Hugo on his improvement in his weaknesses 👍

Reactions: 2 users
Is Hugo a great indication of where we really are at ? For us to be happy with his progression this season and some fairly saying his been the highlight I’m not sure where that puts us ?

If we didn’t have an injury riddled season would he have done enough to maintain his wing?

If Hugo can continue to improve over the rest of the season , have a couple of high impact games , have a big preseason and improve as much again next season we will have a solid wingman , in saying that if we do get offered a pick similar to what we paid for Hugo I’d take the punt .

Worries me a lot that our highlights this year a players who started on a very low base ( edge of delisting) and now have improved to handy types .

This years and the previous 3 drafts are ginormous for us , our new bloke could make or break his career on this one draft , that’s how important I see this to us .

I think it’s a pretty fair indication of where we are. As is Dow continuing to be selected week after week. When players if his level keep getting games, you know you’re hard up for talent.

Reactions: 1 user
Disciplined and tries and runs his guts out. Done enough for a new contract IMO, not a bad depth player at worst.

They won't get a top-3 pick for him next year because they won't finish bottom 2. Probably not even bottom 4. (Unless he leaves this year, then they might, but Clarko should be sacked if they do.)

He cost us pick 46. We already have six picks before that this year. Hugo has improved to adequate AFL footballer. I was in the delist camp last year but happy to be wrong. He can keep improving. Keep.

Doesn't matter who the player is, one would always have to be happy with whichever player on the list is improving his performance, for the individual player isn't this what it's all about????
Bit more improvement and he'll become one of those consistent, reliable nuts n bolts type players that the coach can rely on to do his job every week and thereby provide the platform for the " star " players to work from. And every club needs n has a whole bunch of them, even the premiership contenders.

They won't get a top-3 pick for him next year because they won't finish bottom 2. Probably not even bottom 4. (Unless he leaves this year, then they might, but Clarko should be sacked if they do.)

He cost us pick 46. We already have six picks before that this year. Hugo has improved to adequate AFL footballer. I was in the delist camp last year but happy to be wrong. He can keep improving. Keep.
I don’t disagree , however I’m happy to take a punt on our 7th pick at 46 ish and hope to unearth another success story late or rookie pick . I’m a bit more on try and unearth the A and B Graders now then continue to put time into possible at best foot soldiers , which I feel we may have quite a few re our cubs . Again I think Hugo is a great example of where we are at

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t disagree , however I’m happy to take a punt on our 7th pick at 46 ish and hope to unearth another success story late or rookie pick . I’m a bit more on try and unearth the A and B Graders now then continue to put time into possible at best foot soldiers , which I feel we may have quite a few re our cubs . Again I think Hugo is a great example of where we are at
We're not going to draft 7 kids, certainly not at the expense of a 23-year-old beginning to show he belongs at the level. We have others to shed before Hugo.

Reactions: 4 users
There is a difference Mr B. Dow, unlike Hugo, lacks the intrinsic qualities required to be successful in his position.
I was more on the , both had opportunities this year , both improved, however both imho at best are probably in the 30s on value to the list

I was more on the , both had opportunities this year , both improved, however both imho at best are probably in the 30s on value to the list
Out of interest, who do you see ahead of him? Bear in mind that we’ve got sone regular senior selections injured and fit that won’t be at the club past 2025/26.

For me it’s more the question of is he good enough to be a top 4 teams wingman , not so much been the best wingman at the club. If we are talking just on playing the Wing, he’s only really got the old premiership wingman as competition, Clarke is one who I think could be more damaging, Campbell looks he could play there , however think he may go through the middle ,Ross has played good and better footy then Hugo on a wing , I prefer the potential of Banks over Hugo .

Said for years I’d like to see DRioli or Short given a month or 2 on a wing , we appear to young half backs , however not much in the wing department.

If Yze didn’t take Pickett of a wing and Hugo a chance to prove himself , Hugo wouldn’t have been able for plenty to want to keep him on the list .

So as we speak CTT , there’s not much ahead of him but that’s a bloody low ceiling