Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games.

A few years ago Patrick Dangerfield played in an exhibition match with a few of the big boys of the game - Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards. Big-city players. Clangerflop's game before and after that has been greatly reduced in its effectiveness by a relentless bombing of the ball 60m to anybody. It's not the worst plan if you're breaking the line but it's not the best.

Nathan Fyfe played in that game too. The Big-city boys were showcasing their elite ball movement and understanding. The hicks were bungling apace. Any student had to wonder if the hicks were watching. Turned out Dangerfield was. He lifted. And he found players with the ball. He handballed. (Fyfe just got dumber.)

Tonight we saw Dangerfield handball. And his game went up a level. So easy. Why did it take so long?

Reactions: 1 user
Rozee is not physical enough for finals- see Cotchin, Hodge,Selwood. Horne-Francis is relatively ok
My current take on Rozee, Merv, is that he's not very smart. And I think he's batting too high. That's why Ports have to bring in another above average mid. To take the heat and win the ball.

Wines got respectable numbers. He was *smile* awful. Ploddy and plundered. Plodders who can't break a line. Who wants em? Always under pressure. Wines is big enough but he's not up to it.

I think it's a talent thing. JHF might be a champion but he aint yet. Butters is elite but 67kg (and badly coached). And Rozee's values have looked bad all year. Real bad. Would not hit Butters for months. Overdoes it. Fair enough for the coach to stretch these guys but they have to learn instant use of the ball.

Reactions: 1 users
Sooo true Jack.

Port are near AFL worst at defensive ground ball. Have been all year.

As you say, bad structure (coaching), bad recruiting, bad selection.

Found out against the near best small forward group in the land - At $3.30 at the jump num num num.

Rest of the finals are interesting. Gunna post more tomorrow.

But the Sydney/GWS game interests.

GWS are easily the best pressure team in the country. Historically it wins finals. But they don't have a lot else.

Sydney have armory. Best weapons in the land to seek and destroy. GWS have pressure and lots of it to disarm.

But always back pressure therefore chaos in finals - especially at odds against.
Josh Carr doesn't seem to get the whole idea of pressure, Bryan. What it is. How to do it. NFI. He is riding for a fall but I worry that the Port fans will cut Hinkley up and put him in milk cans and steal his pension cheques when Carr is really the genius behind their season.

$3.30, eh. You were on pretty good terms for 500 posts on the thread. Nobody would give me $1.01 about your backing the Pussois.

I'm ok with all roughies in this round. Except Hawthorn. If I liked Footscray at all I would unload. I'll do more form.

Syd/GWS? Kingsley can defend. Green and Kelly hurt him. (Green really hurts him.) Pace profile. Why does Bedford look so good? FWIW I have Sydney clear favourite for the flag with their best player slowly returning to form. GWS a little thin for talent but so well coached.

Carlton's midfield is intact. It's the ruck who has been missing. He's easily the best ruck in the game when he's not *smile* up all over the joint. And he's doing less of that. Prince Harry is back. Blues so slow. Williams is quick. Pressure. Hmm. Pittonet* is still named therefore either McKay or DeViking is not fit. Voss has shown his hand.

If his team was right Voss would get away with this. RFC fans are howling for the blood of the fitness guy. Are Carlton fans watching?

$3.30, eh? Should you always take the margin if you love the roughie? Tri line. I only bet tri line. On roughies. And I believe there is no such thing as home ground advantage, or away. That's how the favourite is $3.30.

And that brings me back to the idea that if De Viking is sound he will wipe the floor with Oscar in the Brisbane birthday quarter. Can Williams hunt Zorko? The Baners haven't got many stars. I hate Weitering and Le Young in the same team. Again, Voss shows his cards. He's not confident in the soundness of his talls.

Cats show just how important it is to have the right people off field. That is what allows continued success. Thing is they seem to keep the good ones for a long time. Hope we start getting all the right people.
At least Scott hasn't walked out on them.
At least there CEO stayed.

The problem with us is, after 2020 everything fell apart (1982 repeated)
Geelong seem to ride bad times and get on with it. When Melbourne beat them by 10+ goals in the finals in 2021, they could've taken the similar path we did. No, they brought in kids that are highly skilled, and they run all day.
Max Holmes is a gun, and that's again through our arrogance, we traded them the pick they used to get Holmes. The question needs to be asked why weren't our guys aware of Holmes calibre??
The kid from Werribee, what a player.
I've always said kids that have missed out in the draft and still fight there way back into the afl seem to be good quality footballers.
Hopefully now we have a good group that find kids that can hit targets and run and hunt all day.
Geelong have done extremely well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
*smile* Geelong. 14 preliminary finals in 18 seasons. Just incredible. Never seen a club be able to continuously regenerate a list like they can.

We had more success in a short time frame but have fallen off the cliff at 1000 miles an hour and are now many years away from competing again.

As great as the 3 flags were I’m not sure how we have found ourselves so far into the abyss so quickly. The balance Geelong has is enviable.
1 thing I find with Scott is, he isn't scared to play kids.
And he doesn't bring in players because of their names.
The vilking, Stewart and Hawkins didn't play.
Hardwick wouldve picked at least 2.
Our team from Aug 2017 to September 2020 was basically the same.
The funny thing is that the Kids of 2017 turned our fortunes around, Rioli Castagna Bulter alongside Dusty Cotchin Edwards Lambert etc.
Kids, hungry kids lift a club.
We need to get as many kids in doors and regenerate. We can do it.

Reactions: 4 users
I said dees wouldn't go back to back and said that's it for them as most were saying they would win multiple flags. I was right.
I said last year pies that's it lucky to make the 8 this year right again.

Every team has some good young players Mannagh, Humphroes, Henry, bowes, bews, gutheie and Miers they are not the stars but complement the top-end talent.

Danger, cameron, Stewart, blicavs, stanley, Kolodjashnij, duncan etc

Not doubting about their longevity they have been great but I'm calling it in the next 2 years they are done.
AT you said Humphrey isn't a star.
He reminds me of Waganeen

• Wow
Quick question
Did Port/Hinkley think they were a chance for the flag with Ratonmygear in there side?

P.s Geelong are such an arrogant club.
Narkle played for Geelong for several years
Stengle was the only one that stopped to talk to him. While Dangerfield high 5 team mates around him.

Kaneo Cornes can go on all he likes about the MCG advantage that we and the Pies get. At least we do take advantage of it, Port keep dropping home finals like they're going out of fashion.

Reactions: 4 users
True hope they dont win it but for us, we at least won 3 flags a dynasty. So I'm happy to rebuild and go again. Trust me cats are 1-2 years away from falling off the cliff and no getting around this one. Once their older stars depart that's it can't be relying on their role players to keep them up.

It is easy to nab a player here and there in free agency and trades as they have done during the last decade like we have whilst our players were in their prime but when they lose say 8-10 top players from this senior side in the next 2 years let's see how they go.
Pricks have been to old n to slow and falling off the cliff next year for the last two decades. Still don't look anywhere near that cliffs edge.

As much as I hate Scott, Dangerfield and Geelong generally, I’ve got to give them credit; they keep getting the job done.
Dangerflog was remarkable last night. Played like he was 10 years younger. And how many flags would GWS have if Cameron stayed? Add their smalls, their role players. Their chilled personas. The sea air is good for them. There's alot to like at Geelong, even if I hate their guts. Whingy Scott can *smile* off though. Don't care how much they win by, I can't bring myself to say a single kind word about that sooky la la

As much as I hate Scott, Dangerfield and Geelong generally, I’ve got to give them credit; they keep getting the job done.
When those 2 flogs plus Dog Stewart are gone then i may acknowledge what a great club they are.

Cats show just how important it is to have the right people off field. That is what allows continued success. Thing is they seem to keep the good ones for a long time. Hope we start getting all the right people.

Developing seems to be the key.
They have a blueprint and they stick with it regardless of what people say.

Reactions: 3 users
Will say - Did get that wrong. Thought at the price at the time they were an injury away from there midfield being obliterated.

Like nearly everyone at one stage - fell into the trap of under estimating them.

Gotta hand it to them. Amazing club. Well coached. Wells is a genius.

They have walked into a prelim while we have what - 5 years rebuilding again.

14 of the last 18 years have made the prelim.

And still going strong....Think about that. Farrrkkk...
Your here to win flags not make it to the 2nd last week.
Seems like the prelim is what a finals win for Ess and a Port home final is for Geelong.
Imagine being a cats supporter.We felt it in 18.Now just multiply that by what 5?