Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games.

Cats show just how important it is to have the right people off field. That is what allows continued success. Thing is they seem to keep the good ones for a long time. Hope we start getting all the right people.
Continued success?
There's only one team each year that can claim success.
It took us 4yrs to win 3
If the Cats under Salty win it this year its 3 in 12.

Stanley beat Sweet.
Should Sweet just retire?

Ratonmygear, Therk Thatcher & Soldo
It will go down as the biggest list management *"*'^* up in AFL history.

Everyone and anyone knew those 3 wouldn't win u a flag.
Port are doubling up next year.
1725574455723.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
1 thing I find with Scott is, he isn't scared to play kids.
And he doesn't bring in players because of their names.
The vilking, Stewart and Hawkins didn't play.
Hardwick wouldve picked at least 2.
Our team from Aug 2017 to September 2020 was basically the same.
The funny thing is that the Kids of 2017 turned our fortunes around, Rioli Castagna Bulter alongside Dusty Cotchin Edwards Lambert etc.
Kids, hungry kids lift a club.
We need to get as many kids in doors and regenerate. We can do it.
Nakas was basically a hungry kid as well

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't really watch the game, but i don't know whether to p!ss myself laughing or be salty.

I honestly thought Port would flog Geelong. I actually had a bet on them to win by 40+. It's not because i think Port are any good, but i think Geelong's ladder position is inflated by all the games the play at Kardinia Park. But as it turns out, that extra home game Port gets every year probably inflates their ladder position.

Geelong making another Prelim really annoys me. I just don’t think they are that good. But I also think there is no standout team out there. Anyone can steal a flag this year. And with a home Prelim against an interstate team (assuming Carlton loses tomorrow), the cards seem to be falling their way.

Going back to Port, I’m starting to think JHF is the most overrated player since James *smile*. The media drool over this guy, yet he’s as soft as butter and goes missing when it counts.

As for Ken Hinkley… surely he is finished now? He should be checking to see if the West Coast job is still available.

The first thing I’d do if I was coach or CEO, is pizz off that cringy tear us apart song crap. Achieved nothing and acting like they are Man United

I think it's harmless. But the reason why i don't think it works is because a footy club that is 150 years old is trying to manufacture a new tradition. These things should grow organically instead of being thrusted upon you.

What makes it really cringe is when the likes on BT compare it to YNWA. This is where the ridicule originates from.

Any chance Soldo does a Gunston and returns to us?

No *smile* way.

I've three points to make about Port Adelaide and they are crucial to the case that Josh Carr has to be sacked and Hinkley has to stay another year while they find a new coach.

Point 1/-, they have the guts of a good side in the form of JHF, Butters, Rozee. They were off tonight but they carry too great a load, and are badly coached IMO.

Secondly, the Port side has no shape. Badly coached. No vision for the shape of a football team. For example, a #3 back defends a tall or a small. Think Nathan Broad. Think Dylan Grimes. (Broad brisk, Grimes blistering.) Port has no #3 back. Not one. (You need two.) This is about ground ball defence. Your semitall defends at ground level.

Port spent draft currency on Knee Zerk Reaction and Esava when they needed a #3 back. Bide your time. Get the right player the next year. Don't lose your load over a Knee Zerk Reaction. They need two #3 backs not duds. And a full back. I could go on. But most of the work can be done with offcuts if they get them right. If they even understand what a football team looks like.

C/- The Ports are slow. They lack leg speed. Geelong used to be slow but they added blistering players, not brisk. Sub 2.9/20m. Both Henrys. Gary Rohan. Holmes. Bews is super quick. Dud? Yeah. But he's quick. Mullin was good tonight. Watch what happens when he hits the gas. He's new to the game but he's super quick and strong. Rhys Stanley os 2.95/20m IIRC. Oh. Jeremy Cameron. Super quick.

It's not impossible to change your pace profile as a club. Talent is crucial but Ports must get qucker. They get chopped up on the break. Has Poor Ken noticed that? Why didn't Carr tell him?

Ports have to add talent this year. Not a midfielder? Absolutely a midfielder and they trade Houston to get one. Are they finally getting this right?
No draft currency Jack. They spent it all on duds like Knee Zerk. They need Houston to leave but he is their best player. They are cooked. And so is Kenny.

I am surprised you didnt mention Sir Charles?

At least they still have Darcy Byrne Jones.

He's very good. AA quality good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
I know it’s folly to say “you can’t win a flag with (insert certain players here)” but geez, watching Port last night with Ratagalea, Dixon and BZT…geez it looks unlikely now. I wonder what history says about a team losing their QF by 84 points. Straight sets?

Reactions: 1 users
They have Dempsey who won the Rising Star, Holmes (who they traded with us to get) who is as good as young midfielder in the country.
Not convinced on Dempsey. Wouldn't run top 5 in the Rising Star if everyone was eligible.

But Mannagh, oh boy, what a performance in a final from a 26 year old who ran around in the VFL for years.

They are out there. We must find them as part of the rebuild.

And Stephen Wells is no good. That will go down in PRE history.

‘Clown’: Kane Cornes apologises after locking co-host out of studio​

Kane Cornes has apologised for “unprofessional” behaviour following his Port Adelaide team’s qualifying final implosion.

Kane Cornes was nowhere to be seen when his radio show began on Friday morning following Port Adelaide’s abysmal performance against Geelong on Thursday night.
The footy shock jock showed up late to work for his breakfast radio show on SEN after simply getting his time zones wrong.

The 41-year-old’s blunder left co-host David King locked out of the network’s Adelaide studio and left producers scrambling.

• Haha
I've three points to make about Port Adelaide and they are crucial to the case that Josh Carr has to be sacked and Hinkley has to stay another year while they find a new coach.

Point 1/-, they have the guts of a good side in the form of JHF, Butters, Rozee. They were off tonight but they carry too great a load, and are badly coached IMO.

Secondly, the Port side has no shape. Badly coached. No vision for the shape of a football team. For example, a #3 back defends a tall or a small. Think Nathan Broad. Think Dylan Grimes. (Broad brisk, Grimes blistering.) Port has no #3 back. Not one. (You need two.) This is about ground ball defence. Your semitall defends at ground level.

Port spent draft currency on Knee Zerk Reaction and Esava when they needed a #3 back. Bide your time. Get the right player the next year. Don't lose your load over a Knee Zerk Reaction. They need two #3 backs not duds. And a full back. I could go on. But most of the work can be done with offcuts if they get them right. If they even understand what a football team looks like.

C/- The Ports are slow. They lack leg speed. Geelong used to be slow but they added blistering players, not brisk. Sub 2.9/20m. Both Henrys. Gary Rohan. Holmes. Bews is super quick. Dud? Yeah. But he's quick. Mullin was good tonight. Watch what happens when he hits the gas. He's new to the game but he's super quick and strong. Rhys Stanley os 2.95/20m IIRC. Oh. Jeremy Cameron. Super quick.

It's not impossible to change your pace profile as a club. Talent is crucial but Ports must get qucker. They get chopped up on the break. Has Poor Ken noticed that? Why didn't Carr tell him?

Ports have to add talent this year. Not a midfielder? Absolutely a midfielder and they trade Houston to get one. Are they finally getting this right?
Hahaha. Knee Zerk Reaction. That’s chef’s kiss Jack!

What on earth was Hinkley thinking last night ?

He selects Queen Dixon and goes with a 3 tall forward line - one of whom is a redundant, extra light tower. Then he starts JHF on the bench. Then he selects a backline that is perfectly set up to be overrun by a fleet of small forwards and mids going through there. No wonder Chris Scott mentioned he thought they could get Port Adelaide's defence for the fact.

‘Clown’: Kane Cornes apologises after locking co-host out of studio​

Kane Cornes has apologised for “unprofessional” behaviour following his Port Adelaide team’s qualifying final implosion.

Kane Cornes was nowhere to be seen when his radio show began on Friday morning following Port Adelaide’s abysmal performance against Geelong on Thursday night.
The footy shock jock showed up late to work for his breakfast radio show on SEN after simply getting his time zones wrong.

The 41-year-old’s blunder left co-host David King locked out of the network’s Adelaide studio and left producers scrambling.
What do you expect from a 5 year old.

1725580638540.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Not convinced on Dempsey. Wouldn't run top 5 in the Rising Star if everyone was eligible.

But Mannagh, oh boy, what a performance in a final from a 26 year old who ran around in the VFL for years.

They are out there. We must find them as part of the rebuild.
They certainly are Scoop, I’ve mentioned a few on the state league thread.

I was only thinking the other day about Dimmas comments a few years ago that if you spend too long in the VFL you just become a VFL player. I don’t prescribe to that theory. Mannagh an example , our own Marlion another, Noble etc etc. Yep, they’re out there, you need a recruiter with who’s willing to “lower his eyes” and have a look, identify the mature talent and back themselves.