Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games.

But let's be honest they really haven't lost many top players in a short space of time but in the next 2 years they will
Like us, we lost a lot of top talent over the past 3-4 years>> Dusty, Jack, Cotchin, Lambert, Astbury, Edwards, Grimes, Rance, Houli etc
Hindsight… no one was predicting all of them would be gone so soon.
And the cats have turned their list over 2 or three times since 2017.
I always found Septembers when we didn’t feature easier to digest by looking at why other teams were there and we weren’t.

Played in tonights side.

Mier's - pick 57,
Stengel - delisted free agent,
Neale - pick 33,
Mannagh - pick 36,
Holmes - pick 20,
Atkins - rookie draft,
Dempsey - rookie draft,
Bews - pick 86,
Blicavs - rookie draft,
Guthrie - rookie draft
O Mullin cat b rookie
Henry - rookie draft
Kolodjashnij - pick 41
Humphries - pick 63
Duncan - pick 28
Close - rookie draft
Stewart - a late out - pick 40

That’s a pack of duds carried by 6 stars….

Reactions: 1 user
Hindsight… no one was predicting all of them would be gone so soon.
And the cats have turned their list over 2 or three times since 2017.
I always found Septembers when we didn’t feature easier to digest by looking at why other teams were there and we weren’t.

Not hindsight we all knew they were close to retiring just need to look at their ages. Only Rance at 30 with his ACL and his faith decided to retire earlier than expected.

I've never been less enthused about Carlton in the finals.

Even in 2013 when we shouldn't have been there I was up and about.

This however just feels so futile.
My better half is a Bloo. She's always a 'nervous nelly' supporter although the last 20 years or whatever, made it 5 times worse. So, she also has little hope at all.
No Curnow might be the final nail in the coffin. But just one reason for hope ... You're playing the Paddle Pops who are always capable of putting themselves under pressure by their woeful kicking for goal and crapping the bed, even at home before their hick fans.

If you just manage to apply enough scoreboard pressure to create some doubt in Q3/4, they can fold.

Played in tonights side.

Mier's - pick 57,
Stengel - delisted free agent,
Neale - pick 33,
Mannagh - pick 36,
Holmes - pick 20,
Atkins - rookie draft,
Dempsey - rookie draft,
Bews - pick 86,
Blicavs - rookie draft,
Guthrie - rookie draft
O Mullin cat b rookie
Henry - rookie draft
Kolodjashnij - pick 41
Humphries - pick 63
Duncan - pick 28
Close - rookie draft
Stewart - a late out - pick 40

FFS, what do we need to do to get their development team?

DS

How do so called experts EVER compare Dangerflog to aDusty. Has managed two pathetic handballs in second quarter. Goes missing so often in finals yet fools like Mathews rates him higher than Dusty.
And his kicking so often flops too; can never compare with DM's . Boak's was true to form too; they butcher heaps of opportunities.

Disagree mate.

How many slow controlled lace out passes we seen this match? Barely any.

Chaos, run, effort, competitiveness and instinct still wins finals.
Yer, because Salty finally learnt from us; only took our 3 flags! But, credit it to him, he learns ... and persists, always.

Reactions: 1 users
I've three points to make about Port Adelaide and they are crucial to the case that Josh Carr has to be sacked and Hinkley has to stay another year while they find a new coach.

Point 1/-, they have the guts of a good side in the form of JHF, Butters, Rozee. They were off tonight but they carry too great a load, and are badly coached IMO.

Secondly, the Port side has no shape. Badly coached. No vision for the shape of a football team. For example, a #3 back defends a tall or a small. Think Nathan Broad. Think Dylan Grimes. (Broad brisk, Grimes blistering.) Port has no #3 back. Not one. (You need two.) This is about ground ball defence. Your semitall defends at ground level.

Port spent draft currency on Knee Zerk Reaction and Esava when they needed a #3 back. Bide your time. Get the right player the next year. Don't lose your load over a Knee Zerk Reaction. They need two #3 backs not duds. And a full back. I could go on. But most of the work can be done with offcuts if they get them right. If they even understand what a football team looks like.

C/- The Ports are slow. They lack leg speed. Geelong used to be slow but they added blistering players, not brisk. Sub 2.9/20m. Both Henrys. Gary Rohan. Holmes. Bews is super quick. Dud? Yeah. But he's quick. Mullin was good tonight. Watch what happens when he hits the gas. He's new to the game but he's super quick and strong. Rhys Stanley os 2.95/20m IIRC. Oh. Jeremy Cameron. Super quick.

It's not impossible to change your pace profile as a club. Talent is crucial but Ports must get qucker. They get chopped up on the break. Has Poor Ken noticed that? Why didn't Carr tell him?

Ports have to add talent this year. Not a midfielder? Absolutely a midfielder and they trade Houston to get one. Are they finally getting this right?

Reactions: 4 users
Complete opposite of us. We just hold on to the ball.
No, the key is not to let it fall or get knocked out. Scats et al all know this well. If ball comes out, pinged HTB. [Except for us, sometimes still pinged for No attempt!]

I've three points to make about Port Adelaide and they are crucial to the case that Josh Carr has to be sacked and Hinkley has to stay another year while they find a new coach.

Point 1/-, they have the guts of a good side in the form of JHF, Butters, Rozee. They were off tonight but they carry too great a load, and are badly coached IMO.

Secondly, the Port side has no shape. Badly coached. No vision for the shape of a football team. For example, a #3 back defends a tall or a small. Think Nathan Broad. Think Dylan Grimes. (Broad brisk, Grimes blistering.) Port has no #3 back. Not one. (You need two.) This is about ground ball defence. Your semitall defends at ground level.

Port spent draft currency on Knee Zerk Reaction and Esava when they needed a #3 back. Bide your time. Get the right player the next year. Don't lose your load over a Knee Zerk Reaction. They need two #3 backs not duds. And a full back. I could go on. But most of the work can be done with offcuts if they get them right. If they even understand what a football team looks like.

C/- The Ports are slow. They lack leg speed. Geelong used to be slow but they added blistering players, not brisk. Sub 2.9/20m. Both Henrys. Gary Rohan. Holmes. Bews is super quick. Dud? Yeah. But he's quick. Mullin was good tonight. Watch what happens when he hits the gas. He's new to the game but he's super quick and strong. Rhys Stanley os 2.95/20m IIRC. Oh. Jeremy Cameron. Super quick.

It's not impossible to change your pace profile as a club. Talent is crucial but Ports must get qucker. They get chopped up on the break. Has Poor Ken noticed that? Why didn't Carr tell him?

Ports have to add talent this year. Not a midfielder? Absolutely a midfielder and they trade Houston to get one. Are they finally getting this right?

Sooo true Jack.

Port are near AFL worst at defensive ground ball. Have been all year.

As you say, bad structure (coaching), bad recruiting, bad selection.

Found out against the near best small forward group in the land - At $3.30 at the jump num num num.

Rest of the finals are interesting. Gunna post more tomorrow.

But the Sydney/GWS game interests.

GWS are easily the best pressure team in the country. Historically it wins finals. But they don't have a lot else.

Sydney have armory. Best weapons in the land to seek and destroy. GWS have pressure and lots of it to disarm.

But always back pressure therefore chaos in finals - especially at odds against.

Reactions: 1 users

Rozee is not physical enough for finals- see Cotchin, Hodge,Selwood. Horne-Francis is relatively ok