Victorian Election 2010 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Victorian Election 2010

mb64 said:
Standby for 3-4 years of disaray

Time might prove you right. But Brumby has alreay provided us with this.

Stating in his victory (shows how delusional he is) speech, he said how proud he was that even with the GFC that we still had an AAA credit rating. I think we all know that we have Federal Government past coalition and labor to thank for our credit rating as they funnel money to the states in order for them to survive.

If we didn’t have Myki, and the North South pipeline built millions of dollars over budget or not built them at all we could have directed more funds to fix the real issues, and Brumby would still be in power.

So to all the Brumby apologists out there, acknowledge that he didn’t do a good job. Time to see if Ted can. If he can’t do a good job with such a small margin he will be a one term wonder.

Tiger74 said:
the TV stations are all making assumptions on the pre-polls/postals, which is risky at the best of times, dangerous now when they are increasing in number so much.

they normally work on how the split normally occurs, and then see how the various booths have performed (in terms of votes cast and how the split has moved). then they will estimate how these changes may effect the dynamic of the pre-polls/postals

with regards to Bentleigh and Eltham, I've read/heard nothing since last night, so its tough to comment specifically. I can only guess that ALP or LIB booths may be down for each, and they are punting that the pre-polls/postals will favour accordingly

on the recount Zero, if its close you always hold. the AEC/VEC officials are a real mixed bag. Some booths get a decent squad (I know the group at my booth yesterday were really good), and others get kids only interested in a paycheck. One election I remember the mob we had were hopeless. Spent half the night challenging ballots for basic errors they should have picked up (i.e. wrong pile, missing numbers, etc).

T74, they started counting the prepolloing votes for Bentleigh today at 4.00pm. The gap was widening.

MB78 said:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/ted-baillieu-ready-to-plan-liberal-partys-transition-to-power/story-fn5kmqy2-1225962373651

But it was the Coalition's decision during the campaign to preference the Greens last across the board that was the game changer.

Despite providing Labor with a lift in the inner city, the Coalition's choice was a vote winner with the key demographics of disillusioned males aged 30-55 in the outer suburbs that have taken Mr Baillieu to the doorsteps of power in Spring Street.

"It showed voters that Ted has balls," a senior Liberal MP said. "And this was the turning point as voters really started to respond."

Fellow ex-Labor premier John Cain said the party had lost its legitimacy to rule after polling below 40 per cent.

I have found this very interesting. What are labour going to do about the Greens?
Fair comment I think that the turning point was the Libs preference announcement. LOL at the greens sooking at that, especially when they preference the libs last anyway. And lol even more at the greens clown on tv saying that he had his own polling and that Antony Green was wrong and that they had in fact had a good election.

Tigerbob said:
Can be no worse than the disaray we have just been put through. When Labor was elected through Bracks they had a massive platform to work off. Kennett got us to the top. They then slowly ripped it all apart.

Tough job the Libs have if they indeed do win government, cleaning up Labors vast array of costly mistakes while trying to move our great state forward. They have done it before and I'd rather put my hopes in them doing it again, than having Labor rip us up to shreds moreso.

Good luck Ted.
Yep You,ll need it Ted Bullpitt.No assets to sell this time around.Jeff seen to that.

The Greens are a very dangerous proposition. This election has made it more obvious to even the part time government watchers.

Tigerbob said:
Can be no worse than the disaray we have just been put through. When Labor was elected through Bracks they had a massive platform to work off. Kennett got us to the top. They then slowly ripped it all apart.

Tough job the Libs have if they indeed do win government, cleaning up Labors vast array of costly mistakes while trying to move our great state forward. They have done it before and I'd rather put my hopes in them doing it again, than having Labor rip us up to shreds moreso.

Good luck Ted.

Maybe true Bob but I am not inspired by Ted or anything the Libs have done. Espically not getting all his policy promises costed. That reeked of having not done the homework. Getting rid of the Greens on the preferences was the only thing that impressed me. Made it us vs them.

As for shooting holes in the shoddy work of Labour, I didn't feel that the Libs actually showed me something new, just a lot of we won't do that. There is a lot of clean up work to be done for sure but it wasn't as cut and dry as it should be. I have voted both ways over the years and this year it was so hard.

MB78 said:
So to all the Brumby apologists out there, acknowledge that he didn’t do a good job. Time to see if Ted can. If he can’t do a good job with such a small margin he will be a one term wonder.
I tend to agree.I think Brumby Lost the election moreso than Bullpitt winning it.In fact i think if Bracks was still head honcho,Labor would be back in office.Time for Labor to lick its wounds and learn from this,Find a new leader and start afresh.Ond great result from the election was the fact no Greens got a seat. :clap :clap :clap

SCOOP said:
Maybe true Bob but I am not inspired by Ted or anything the Libs have done. Espically not getting all his policy promises costed. That reeked of having not done the homework.
This doesn't get done because the treasury is run by the government, therefore they have to get their policy promises costed by their opponents. Same reason why it wasn't done at Federal level.

As for shooting holes in the shoddy work of Labour, I didn't feel that the Libs actually showed me something new, just a lot of we won't do that. There is a lot of clean up work to be done for sure but it wasn't as cut and dry as it should be. I have voted both ways over the years and this year it was so hard.
Pretty sure that the coalition has a far better track record at running projects on budget than Labor, hard to do worse though

Hopefully the Libs will reform stamp duty. Biggest rort of all time.

Eltham will probably go to the Libs as well.

mld said:
So, how long will it be before Baillieu is knifed by the Kroger faction?
Ballieu had the party split because they didn't think he had what it takes to win an election
Now that he has won they have nothing to base this on anymore
There was even a big story about staff at the Victorian Liberal party office running anti-Bailleu blogs and leaking information, but that was a couple of years ago now.

Having pulled off an unlikely victory, I believe they'll quickly fall into line to support him now. Otherwise they are just sabotaging their own chances of getting re-elected

evo said:
Hopefully the Libs will reform stamp duty. Biggest rort of all time.

Eltham will probably go to the Libs as well.

I just can't understand why there is no focus on Eltham when the margin is closer than Bentleigh.

I suppose it's just to make it a more exciting story. ALP need to win both but they are already ahead in Eltham.

so Bumbly loses another election as party leader. Wonder how many of the former government will now retire for 'personal' reasons and cause costly by-elections to be held?

Yep, it's all over
Bailleu should be at the governers office right now to announce he has the numbers to form government

Legends of 1980 said:
so Bumbly loses another election as party leader. Wonder how many of the former government will now retire for 'personal' reasons and cause costly by-elections to be held?

They should have to compensate some of the costs from their hefty super/pensions.

ZeroGame said:
Yep, it's all over
Bailleu should be at the governers office right now to announce he has the numbers to form government

Sanity prevailed.

ZeroGame said:
This doesn't get done because the treasury is run by the government, therefore they have to get their policy promises costed by their opponents. Same reason why it wasn't done at Federal level.
Pretty sure that the coalition has a far better track record at running projects on budget than Labor, hard to do worse though

Well said.