Victorian Election 2010 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Victorian Election 2010

Legends of 1980 said:
I can see the difference. However being a politician, he is being deceitful to the end (

Did he say before the election that if the ALP lost he would stay on? If not then he isn't being deceitful.

IanG said:
Did he say before the election that if the ALP lost he would stay on? If not then he isn't being deceitful.

Yes - that is the whole point. He committed to staying on prior to the election, win, lose or draw.

IanG said:
Come on lan,he has to say that.For the party to move forward its best he's gone.When Peter Costello stayed on the backbenches for the Libs all it did was destabilise the party.

mb64 said:
Come on lan,he has to say that.For the party to move forward its best he's gone.When Peter Costello stayed on the backbenches for the Libs all it did was destabilise the party.

I think he should leave regardless of what he said prior to the election because of that. The by-election cost is just an unfortunate by product.

I'm actually in favour of allowing a Party to replace a retiring member shortly after an election. Its rare for a resigning minister or leader to hold a marginal seat, and the result is nearly always a forgone conclusion.

Tiger74 said:
I'm actually in favour of allowing a Party to replace a retiring member shortly after an election. Its rare for a resigning minister or leader to hold a marginal seat, and the result is nearly always a forgone conclusion.

Would make sense.

Tiger74 said:
Good point

ZeroGame said:
No idea, do you?
However given Labor spent so much money on building it, they'd look pretty stupid (more so) if they turned it off indefinitely. Perfect definition of a white elephant

I'll tell you what I do know. The pipe was temporarily stopped when Labor were still in power. Ted grandstanded by proclaiming the pipe plugged as soon as he became premier. The pipe was always going to flow again if those entitled wanted the water. It was fortunate timing for him that we'd had a lot of rain. The Government would have to justify millions they'd have to repay to companies who contributed to the scheme if they didn't allow them to have the water they were entitled to under their agreement.

Melbourne Water plowed $300 million in to the project. They mightn't need the water now but Ted might just have to let the pipe flow again if we have a dry summer. That water comes from savings, not water that was already existing. Murray Goulburn Water also contributed a large amount of money and are entitled to a large amount of water.

Interesting Ted announced the plugging of an already plugged pipe. He didn't decommission it though. I wonder why. The pipe will flow again when those entitled to it under their agreement want their water.