Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

We won 5 free counts, lost 17 this year for a net result of -85. Our wins were
17-16, 21-17,15-13, 19-13, 19-11 and 3 of those wins were in the last 7 games.

For comparison, next lowest GWS (haven't played yet) -52. At other end of the scale Bombers top +62.

It's a disgrace really. Rooted year after year.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
We never get holding to our forwards.
Mansell was held
Bauer was blocked and then held.
Kosi shouldve got 1 in the 3rd, the gc player was holding him high

I saw one from my seat, a Richmond forward held around the midriff as the ball is coming in - plain as day and I could see it from the stand. How can 4 umpires miss this?

The answer is, they don't miss it, they just don't pay all the infringements they see, which is precisely why the umpiring is incredibly inconsistent.

It should be quite simple - pay a free every time you see an infringement of the rules as written. The free kick count will go through the roof and quickly come down again as players adjust. Plus, the game will be a lot less congested when players can go for the ball without being held before they have it, can go for marks without being held etc.

While we get the rough end of the stick, every team, and moreso the game, suffer as a result of the frees which umpires do see but do not pay.

DS

Reactions: 6 users
i sincerely hope during the off-season the AFL and the umpires association take a close look at a few things:

these include:

the inconsistencies that are seen from week to week in all games, in all quarters .. ie: quality control
reducing the number of field umpires to 3 .... 4 is mind-numbingly wrong and the cause of inconsistency.
the constant "Stand" and "Outside five" calls that permeate every game - is it necessary?
etc etc etc

Reactions: 2 users
Frees yesterday, 23 to GCS, 16 to us. How when it’s a home MCG and the “noise of affirmation “?

Anyone know what our seasons free kick differential was?

Reactions: 1 users
Frees yesterday, 23 to GCS, 16 to us. How when it’s a home MCG and the “noise of affirmation “?

Anyone know what our seasons free kick differential was?

Remember the Hardwick game plan was what contributed to the free kicks against Richmond all these years. The Suns must be suffering badly as well this year - NOT!!!

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
I saw one from my seat, a Richmond forward held around the midriff as the ball is coming in - plain as day and I could see it from the stand. How can 4 umpires miss this?

The answer is, they don't miss it, they just don't pay all the infringements they see, which is precisely why the umpiring is incredibly inconsistent.

It should be quite simple - pay a free every time you see an infringement of the rules as written. The free kick count will go through the roof and quickly come down again as players adjust. Plus, the game will be a lot less congested when players can go for the ball without being held before they have it, can go for marks without being held etc.

While we get the rough end of the stick, every team, and moreso the game, suffer as a result of the frees which umpires do see but do not pay.

DS
Be great if they’d do it, DS. If the free kick count went through the roof it would come down, but not because the players adjusted, though. It would come down, because the AFL would again manipulate the rules to reduce it.

Last edited:

DS
Couldn’t agree more. How can it be a fair game when only some of the free kicks are paid. It was an AFL directive to reduce the number of free kicks per game - to make the game flow. Now they have introduced another umpire to pick up all the behind play frees and pick up more infringements like throws and holds and blocks - absolutely hasn’t happened. It’s a Farce.

I would love to see the free kick differential of Richmond games in the second half of each game over the last 8 years! If anyone can somehow pull that up, this will be the true stat that tells the story!

The most damning stat every single week is the free kick count in the second half! Yesterday was a prime example. Richmond was winning the free kicks by either 5 or 6 at half time. I told my mates near me, just watch, it will be like every week and we will end up losing the free kick count by at least 10 in the second half. Low and behold from leading the frees by 5 at half time, Richmond lose the free kick count by 8 (23 to 15), hence losing the frees in the second half by a whopping 13! Lets not forget this is against a team with no support here in Melbourne too!

This happens every time. Last year I remember playing Melbourne. Richmond getting a reasonable run with the umpires in the first half. Not winning them by much but winning the frees by around 5 in a what was a low free kick count up until then. The second half the umpires decide to become monsters and award Melbourne countless free kicks and Richmond pretty much 0 for the whole half. That was the game that flog Viney was lying on the ground "hurt" in the second half. The game stops for about 2 minutes. A trainer goes up to him to get him off the ground. He jumps up off the ground and starts being a tough man. In the next piece of play he grabs a Richmond player who didn't even have the ball and lifts him off the ground. As the umpires weren't giving Richmond any frees due to the second half syndrome, even this was not deemed a free kick.

Today a Carlton mate who knows we get shafted joked to me that Carlton was getting the Richmond treatment as they were losing the frees 11 to 1 at half time. I told him, wait and see, the key is the second half when the game is on the line. I told him I bet they even them up for Carlton by the end. Sure enough, there was only a difference of 1 free kick by the end of the game.

The fact of the matter is, when all is said and done..... Richmond is lucky to be ahead of the free kick count by half time of each match, but it actually does happen occasionally, The umpiring is actually fairly reasonable up until half time a lot of the time. However, whether they are winning or losing the frees at half time, in the second half of each game, Richmond always get completely screwed by the umpiring and even more so in the last quarter of each game too. This really should be what gets investigated because to me this is match fixing. The umpiring should at the very least be consistent for the entire game or at the very least Richmond get the rub of the green every now and then too which never happens! 8 years of this crap umpiring, we just want a fair go!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If we are -85 free kicks this year, as per the previous shown chart, then as from 2016 we are now -606 free kicks. A very concerted effort by the AFL - bravo you flogs AFL, I hope you are happy with your corrupt little selves

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not one free in the last qtr for the saints. Amazing.
The first quarter wasn’t much better. 7-1 st kilda’s way. I watched the game and the standard of umpiring was very very ordinary. Thought the umps didn’t look at stats at half time…..yeah right.