Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Footy was a very different game prior to the late 80s though- a lot more space around the ball meant the player winning the ball was more likely to be able to dispose of it if they wanted.
Fair enough, I could be wrong. I disagree, it would make things simpler and the players would adapt in a heartbeat. I understand the argument, and you may be correct. I agree with Bucks, as he said re prior opp, its created more problems than its solved. He's been saying it for years.

Reactions: 1 user
Players hovering to tackle would (to an extent) be balanced by umpires paying “in the back” for poor tackling technique.

We watched the colour version of the ‘73 GF the other night on YouTube and it was amazing to see one umpire paying 76 (I think I read) free kicks without really slowing the game down, when 4 umpires can barely find 30 free kicks in the same time.

Saw more “in the back” frees in the first half than all of last season.

Reactions: 2 users