Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

No Way What GIF

Reactions: 1 user
50m against Zorko has fallen into the mists with the 10 goal mauling.

What an absolute shocker.

Later in the game the correct thing was done and the player got told to go back 10cm.

Reactions: 7 users
50m against Zorko has fallen into the mists with the 10 goal mauling.

What an absolute shocker.

Later in the game the correct thing was done and the player got told to go back 10cm.
Yeah a real doozy. He didn't go over the mark, and half a dozen much worse ones not paid, even if he did go and inch over. Unacceptable to gift goals in a GF

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
its not umpires,

but the lightweight Norm Smith Voting panel

JR, shaun Burgoyne, Rory Sloane ....... tick

Riley beverage (AFL), Anna Harrington (AAP) (who?) ....... hmmmmmmm

call me old fashioned, but I reckon the panel for the most prestigious award in footy, should all have unquestionable standing in the game.

Daisy Pearce? Peggy O'Neil? Erin Phillips? Bec Goddard?

having said that, I think they got it pretty right, although josh Dunkley pretty stiff not to get a vote.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't mind R Beverage, but he's an in-house junior reporter. To put your in-house junior reporter on the voting panel for a very prestigious award is just more evidence of the AFL being insular, nepotistic and out of touch. Taking the *smile* by any measure outside those of the AFL. Which is all par for the course.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's see if St Kilda goes straight to bottom of AFL free kick ladder from next year

What they are speaking is the truth, although I don't think it is fair to anyone to change rules within a season given clubs have already planned around existing rules.

Let's see if St Kilda goes straight to bottom of AFL free kick ladder from next year

What they are speaking is the truth, although I don't think it is fair to anyone to change rules within a season given clubs have already planned around existing rules.

He has a point. I've always thought it was the Northern academies holding the Saints back from winning their 2nd premiership. (Tho I'd have to double check what his view was when the Saints benefited from their NGA.)

• Haha

Bet he's happy to put the hand out n cop the extra funding compared to some of the other clubs when the AFL does it's annual end of year handout.
Father son rule has been in place I think since the draft system was established. Used to be a completely free gift to clubs n then it gradually got tapered to a 20% discount, from next year it's down to 10% as it was to disruptive to the system to change it without warning.

St Kiddenme's only problem with F/S is that their blokes keep churning out girls or spud players, every club gets the same opportunity.
Been an over rated mediocre club run by mediocre management ever since I've been following footy. Maybe it's time for Freddy Bassat to find another bone to chew n let the next the next mediocre mob have a crack at running the club.

Whilst most of what he says is right the complaint about it not changing this year is just self interest imo.
The reason it wasn’t changed was very logical ie. when you have a rule that effects 2 years you have to let the 2nd year happen before changing it or you are disadvantaging those who used it in good faith.
But whilst we are on st kilda they are going to benefit from another stupid rule that should be changed and that is free agency compensation. The compensation should not be attached to ladder position and should be (say) middle of the round in question. For them to get a top 10 pick for Battle just because they underperformed this year is just plain wrong.
Didn’t hear him talking about that

Reactions: 2 users
Whilst most of what he says is right the complaint about it not changing this year is just self interest imo.
The reason it wasn’t changed was very logical ie. when you have a rule that effects 2 years you have to let the 2nd year happen before changing it or you are disadvantaging those who used it in good faith.
But whilst we are on st kilda they are going to benefit from another stupid rule that should be changed and that is free agency compensation. The compensation should not be attached to ladder position and should be (say) middle of the round in question. For them to get a top 10 pick for Battle just because they underperformed this year is just plain wrong.
Didn’t hear him talking about that
Regardless of whether or not any of what he says is true, the Saints didn't finish 12th because of the northern academies and some F/S picks. And they haven't failed to really contend in the last 20 years because of the northern academies and some F/S picks.
If I read a Saints fan I would hope the club also took some accountability while having a whine at the B&F.
A poorly timed attempt at deflection IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Regardless of whether or not any of what he says is true, the Saints didn't finish 12th because of the northern academies and some F/S picks. And they haven't failed to really contend in the last 20 years because of the northern academies and some F/S picks.
If I read a Saints fan I would hope the club also took some accountability while having a whine at the B&F.
A poorly timed attempt at deflection IMO.
Yep. As always, it wasn't me it was someone else's fault.
One of the first things that really struck home when Benny took over. Couldn't find any of the old 5 year plans lying around the club, so he made his own and then he insisted we didn't need any handouts or help from priority picks etc. We'd do it ourselves. Even with all the draft pillaging going on re Gee Whizz n Mould Coast.