Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

There was a doozy in the last Q Bris v Crows. Bailey got the ball in a pack, bent over and launched at his nearest opponent with his bowed head, billy goat-style.

I'm not sure if he was trying to drag a free, or just trying to bust out of the pack. If he was trying to drag a free it was comical, but it worked.

Reactions: 1 user
Are we the only sport in the world that has the majority of its rules adjudicated on interpretation ?
I reckon the threshold for what gets you a penalty in soccer is pretty rubbery and broad. I reckon debate and scrutiny of what should and shouldn't have been a penalty is flogged more than anything in aussie rules.

Are we the only sport in the world that has the majority of its rules adjudicated on interpretation ?

Oh, I don't think so, would be more accurate to say the sport is adjudicated on misinterpretation.

How else can you interpret shoving someone in the back as play on, grabbing a player without the ball as not holding the man, dropping the ball like a sack of spuds as a legal disposal, throwing the ball while glancing the other hand as "hitting" the ball?

Absolute mess the adjudication: a combination of the AFL's obsession with less free kicks, ridiculous rule changes, equally ridiculous re-interpretations of rules and umpire incompetence. This is good enough for a professional sport?

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users
The MRO has stepped in and banished John Setka for life.
Michael Christian quiveringly told head garbage dipper Damian Purple Parrot, “the potential to hurt the afl’s finances has seen Andrew Kane and Laura Dillon instruct me to issue Mr Setka with this penalty. Effective immediately. He must also resign from the CFMEU.
He will no longer be able to set foot on any afl building sites. But to show how fair we are we have issued him with an afl members ticket in perpetuity.”

McBurney must have given Setka a good flogging.

• Love
Anyone else notice yesterday that the umpire called play on when Taranto still had 30m to go before he could get off the field and we could get Baker on in his place ?

We were a man down when he re started play, right across the other side of the ground.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
We won the free kicks 15-13. I think this might be the 3rd week running we haven’t been violated by them.

Have they finally moved on from years of persecution?

We won the free kicks 15-13. I think this might be the 3rd week running we haven’t been violated by them.

They have finally figured they don't need to influence our games to get the result they want. (The obvious free to Baker directly in front late, instead of the barely there free to them from the throw in up the other end might have been nice though. )

1 week in a row we are in front of the free kick count
now only -70 for the year
FREES
FORAGAINSTDIFF
1516-1
1724-7
1323-10
2123-2
1120-9
1224-12
1120-9
1417-3
1223-11
1417-3
1920-1
1727-10
1516-1
245315-70

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
FREES
FORAGAINSTDIFF
1516-1
1724-7
1323-10
2123-2
1120-9
1224-12
1120-9
1417-3
1223-11
1417-3
1920-1
1727-10
1516-1
245315-70

we should appoint one of the Scott Bros or Donkey *smile* Longmire coach just to really test how much they really hate us.

• Haha
FREES
FORAGAINSTDIFF
1516-1
1724-7
1323-10
2123-2
1120-9
1224-12
1120-9
1417-3
1223-11
1417-3
1920-1
1727-10
1516-1
245315-70
Yeah but I was referring to the most recent form where we have been doing ok from the umps (numbers wise anyway)

The last 4 games we are actually +6! Have they finally decided (now that we are last) that enough is enough? Time will tell I guess.

Remember when Dimma was labelled a whinger…

Here’s Brad Scott, again, commenting on umpires:

GIVE US HEADS-UP

Ed Bourke
Brad Scott wants a “heads-up” from the AFL umpiring department on which rule will be spotlighted this weekend before Essendon opens round 19 against Adelaide at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.
The Bombers coach agreed with his brother and Geelong counterpart Chris Scott that there was an obvious crackdown on the 15m rule last week – and he said clubs should have been made aware in advance.
Scott said the communication with umpires had been great when Essendon had “initiated” contact, but he wanted the league to be on the front foot with clubs about how umpires were being coached.
“Umpires get coached like players get coached, and the key component in there is we would like a bit more information as to what the umpires are being coached on,” Scott said on Tuesday.
“Generally, what you coach is what you get. All games of footy across the weekend, when the ball was kicked 14m, it was called play on – the week before that wasn’t happening.
“Clearly that was highlighted, clearly that was coached, but it wasn’t communicated to us.
“We’re the Friday night game this week … you generally take your cue from the way the Friday night game is umpired, so we wouldn’t mind a heads-up in terms of what’s being coached.”
Scott said the razor-thin margins between the second and 13th sides had been behind the fierce external heat on umpiring this season rather than a deterioration in performance.
“It’s really exciting, but it’s on a knife’s edge,” he said.
“It makes it so competitive and so tight – little things make big differences. The focus is more on umpiring because it’s so tight.
“If games were decided by big margins and there were big gaps between the best teams and everyone else, umpiring wouldn’t be a focus like it is.”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
waiting for Karan to come out and give him both barrels for sooking it up over the umpires.
...silence.

Remember when Dimma was labelled a whinger…

Here’s Brad Scott, again, commenting on umpires:

GIVE US HEADS-UP

Ed Bourke
Brad Scott wants a “heads-up” from the AFL umpiring department on which rule will be spotlighted this weekend before Essendon opens round 19 against Adelaide at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.
The Bombers coach agreed with his brother and Geelong counterpart Chris Scott that there was an obvious crackdown on the 15m rule last week – and he said clubs should have been made aware in advance.
Scott said the communication with umpires had been great when Essendon had “initiated” contact, but he wanted the league to be on the front foot with clubs about how umpires were being coached.
“Umpires get coached like players get coached, and the key component in there is we would like a bit more information as to what the umpires are being coached on,” Scott said on Tuesday.
“Generally, what you coach is what you get. All games of footy across the weekend, when the ball was kicked 14m, it was called play on – the week before that wasn’t happening.
“Clearly that was highlighted, clearly that was coached, but it wasn’t communicated to us.
“We’re the Friday night game this week … you generally take your cue from the way the Friday night game is umpired, so we wouldn’t mind a heads-up in terms of what’s being coached.”
Scott said the razor-thin margins between the second and 13th sides had been behind the fierce external heat on umpiring this season rather than a deterioration in performance.
“It’s really exciting, but it’s on a knife’s edge,” he said.
“It makes it so competitive and so tight – little things make big differences. The focus is more on umpiring because it’s so tight.
“If games were decided by big margins and there were big gaps between the best teams and everyone else, umpiring wouldn’t be a focus like it is.”
This whinge comes from a coach who’s side usually gets a dream run from the AFL manipulated umpiring fraternity.

How galling for Scott to have to sit in his gilded little box and watch umpires umpire to the rules. When a 14 meter kick is called play on (strange that), when his players get paid marks, particularly moving out of their defensive zone, for dinky 10 meter kicks!

He will have a bloody heart attack if the umpires start calling out throwing the ball !!!!!!!

The Sooks - Chris and Brad - think they can do whatever they want. Why? The AFL backs them. They’re one of their boys. Notice how NO journo criticises them. Not one.

Reactions: 1 users
Whats Gale doing? It's time to unleash
What were the 2 50's for???
And when we do something behind the play. It's automatically reversed.
It's like the opposition already know they can push, hold and even hit without any consequences.
Where's Healy? 2 of the goals from Dixon were blatant pushes in the back.
And 1 by Georgiadis

I’m not a fan of the sliding rule but to the letter of the law that was a free kick 25m out from goal to Steely every day of the year. At a crucial time in the game. Always the ones we don’t get.

Why do we get umpired differently Laura?

IMG_8081.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users