Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

2 is probably the right number or 3 at a pinch.

I don’t thing it is 100% of grabs and holds off the ball, I think it is 98% and that to me is more frustrating. How do they pick the 2% ? It’s random
Yeh, the Weightman high "brush" happens heaps of times. And he tried to contribute to the contact and accentuate it. Why didn't the umpire apply common sense and let the play 100m away continue. It had no bearing on the action nor Weightman's ability to lead etc. Weightman was trying to draw a free. Why reward that on this occassion? As you say, that sort of contact is constant.

And Bevo defending Weightman on 360 like he is some sort of victim and an outstanding courageous ball player was hilarious. I was surprised he didn't call for Archer to be suspended for the vicious hit. *smile* I hate Bevo.

Yeh, the Weightman high "brush" happens heaps of times. And he tried to contribute to the contact and accentuate it. Why didn't the umpire apply common sense and let the play 100m away continue. It had no bearing on the action nor Weightman's ability to lead etc. Weightman was trying to draw a free. Why reward that on this occassion? As you say, that sort of contact is constant.

And Bevo defending Weightman on 360 like he is some sort of victim and an outstanding courageous ball player was hilarious. I was surprised he didn't call for Archer to be suspended for the vicious hit. *smile* I hate Bevo.
Unfortunately the words common sense and umpiring appear far too little in the same sentence unless prefaced by "no" or "little".

What it does also is allow for the statements we always get which is the decision was correct. Maybe it is but what about the 99 other times it was correct and not given!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Reduce the number of umpires and at least you will get more consistency in interpretation. Is it really that physically demanding for 2 guys?
Easily fixed.
Have two umpires.
They sit in an elevated chair like in tennis. One faces forward, the other faces backward.
Just throw the ball up instead of a centre bounce. Most can’t bounce it anyway.
If any player runs into the chair, bad *smile* luck.
They won’t get fatigued. We won’t have to listen to them rant and rave.

Get rid of every poxy grey area rule.
No ruck nomination rule, it’s not *smile* kindergarten
No prior opportunity rule, get rid of it or you're gone
No stand rule. most stupid, immature rule ever devised
No 3rd man up rule, means the opposition still have a man spare at the contest
No dissent. Get *smile*, umpires give the players the *smile* or make a bad call, let them know about it.
No 9m rule.
No protected area if you aren’t directly interfering
No 30 m kick out from a behind
No 50m penalty. 25 m is enough.
Change not enough intent to keep the ball in to last touch. Works well in SA.
No umpire allowed to wear hair product
No male umpire allowed to wear makeup or lipstick.
No flick pass/throw instead of the proper handball
Any duckers that hold their head gets sent for a SCAT 6 assessment. If the player refuses to come off. The club is deducted 2 match points. The player (if it’s Jizza) gets a 3 week suspension.
Any other *smile* rule. Please feel free to add them in.

To be considered.
BT to be told to *smile* off.
JB to be told to *smile* off
Jobe to host kids football channel. With Tim. F/S selection
If any TV channel shows sHocking on screen live, they are banned from bidding on the next media rights
Kardia Park to be reconfigured with wings. At Geelong s expense. 30% of seating to be available to opposition clubs up to 24 hrs before a game. Until this happens, Geelong s home ground will be Marvel Park/Oval whatever it’s called.
Collingwood to travel interstate at least 8 times per season. 9 when Tassy come in.

Any others you want considered just chuck them in as well. I will be sending this to AFLDumkopf House

Reactions: 2 users
Not tennis chairs, Willos. Rig 'em up to the spider cam wires.

Flying umpires. Could be sponsored by Cirque de Soleil.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
SCOTT: ‘GREY’ CLOUDS CLARITY

Ed Bourke
Brad Scott says there’s “too much grey” in the game to analyse every umpiring error as he defended the AFL’s decision not to publicly explain contentious decisions in Essendon’s loss to Geelong.
The Bombers coach on Monday revealed on AFL360 that he had spoken extensively to league umpiring officials who had admitted mistakes were made in Saturday’s clash.
Despite the private admissions, the AFL has declined to post a video explainer of the decisions on its website. Interviews with football department leaders Laura Kane and Josh Mahoney to explain controversial umpiring decisions have become almost weekly, but the league said it would only use the platform for umpiring calls late in games that had an effect on the result.
Scott said he could understand Bombers fans’ frustration over the lack of a public explanation from the AFL but warned that focusing on decisions midway through games was a slippery slope.
“(A video) is probably the simple answer (for agitated fans),” Scott said on Tuesday.
“You can make a bit of a rod for your own back though, in terms of is this going to be a weekly Monday morning explainer of every single decision that people want clarification on? I’ve said before, people generally only want the explanation they agree with, and we do deal with shades of grey in our game. I understand fans’ frustration and I think the concern for the game more broadly is that there are people who have been involved in the game all their lives who didn’t have a clear understanding of how the rules are adjudicated.
“If that’s the case, what hope is the fan who’s sitting up in the bleachers or watching at home on TV got? So the more we can be transparent and explain things, probably the better, without going down the rabbit hole of nitpicking every decision through every game.”
Scott said the Bombers had a “really productive couple of hours” with umpiring bosses, but reiterated he had been more disappointed with his players’ response to the frustrating decisions in the loss.
But Laura said the fans love the grey.

• Angry
They should do public stats developed by an independent 3rd party not part of AFL ecosystem who provide a view based on the AFL's own criteria / standards - and seek what the factors are for the 'grey' interprestations.

Include missed frees, paid frees and %ge correct.
Highlight rules that need fixing due to no discernible clarity of criteria. i.e. "prior opportunity" to be strictly defined.

Will never happen. I was laughing while writing this.
Nah, i actually reckon they should just shut the hell up.
Maybe Scott can clarify how many of his players called him to admit to their mistakes- the ones that actually cost the Bombers the win. and the same ones they mean they havent won a final for 50 years.

What the media should be asking this week is why did Gray call Scott- the ex-AFL employee- and how often does the AFL call clubs to admit to mistakes- because if they do it they should be calling every club every week. It sounds a little like preferential treatment for Scott. Why?

Not tennis chairs, Willos. Rig 'em up to the spider cam wires.

Flying umpires. Could be sponsored by Cirque de Soleil.
That’s a far better suggestion than mine. :giggle:
You could swing it so the afl could make some money. Auction off being the spider cam wire operator each quarter
*smile* I’d love doing it for a quarter. They’d be lucky to get a whistle to their mouths

• Haha
See Karen has an article in the Age where he is saying the ‘whingefest’ about the AFL has to stop.

What a bloody hypocrite, the ultimate Karen saying being a Karen has to stop.

Maybe the AFL needs to acknowledge the problems with *smile* grey rules and go back to basics and acknowledge when they have got things wrong instead of gaslighting those voicing issues.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
See Karen has an article in the Age where he is saying the ‘whingefest’ about the AFL has to stop.

Maybe the AFL needs to acknowledge the problems with *smile* grey rules and go back to basics and acknowledge when they have got things wrong instead of gaslighting those voicing issues.
Karen’s upset because that’s his job.

Unfortunately not going to happen.

I like the idea of flying umpires, we just need one new rule - they get dropped from the trapeze when they make a mistake. Reckon we'll be out of umpires after about 30 seconds.

DS

• Haha