Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

They can get *smile*.
It's hard.
Last week they stopped our come back.
With the free kick to King and then Broad pinged.
And in tonight's game they played everything Carlton expected to get and we got absolutely reamed.

Gale regardless if he staying or going needs to bring this up.
It's turning people off the game.

And to compound things even more
You have commentators that laugh off the incidents
KINGY ' the umpire can use the centre square as a reference as to how long 50metres is"
Dunstan "Umpires are human they make mistakes"

Reactions: 3 users
I bet the media will make more from the 2 free kicks paid to Lynch then the half a dozen specials Carlton got especially in the last qtr.

Reactions: 5 users
It's hard.
Last week they stopped our come back.
With the free kick to King and then Broad pinged.
And in tonight's game they played everything Carlton expected to get and we got absolutely reamed.

Gale regardless if he staying or going needs to bring this up.
It's turning people off the game.

And to compound things even more
You have commentators that laugh off the incidents
KINGY ' the umpire can use the centre square as a reference as to how long 50metres is"
Dunstan "Umpires are human they make mistakes"
Sure umpires can make mistakes but when the majority of their mistakes are an obvious bias against a certain team, their performance has to be questioned at the highest level. Last years stats prove that bias

You can't pay HTB if there isn't a tackle. There is no rule to stop a player from standing dead still and just holding the ball. There is no difference between that, in the rules, and sitting on the ground hatching the ball. There has to be a tackle before the ump can blow his whistle. Obviously in this case the ump should have been counting the entire time Carlton were hatchimg it as "prior opportunity" and so as soon as a Richmond player (Baker) even just touches any of the Carlton players, the should have called HTB due to prior opportunity. That is one of the biggest issues with the way we get umpires. The umps.always judge us to have had PO whenever we get tackled, but seem to give our opponents much more leeway to hold the ball and no judge it as PO.

Interesting, I thought this may not be the case, but, yes, you do have to tackle a player in order to get a holding the ball decision.

So, I wondered if this has always been the case, seems it has, I referred back to the rules from 1970.

What really caught my eye though was some other aspects of the rules in 1970, as follows:

If a player is bumped and ball falls from his hands - play on.
When a player has the ball held to his body by another player - ball up.
When a player is knocked on arm or elbow, causing him to drop the ball - play on.
When a player has his arms pinned to his sides causing him to drop the ball - play on.
Subject to the provisions of Law 13 (a), a player pulled by one arm or slung - ball falls from hand - play on.
The spirit of the rule is to keep the ball in motion.

Seems that the idea of keeping the ball in motion is no longer a priority for the AFL. What a mess they have made of the game, wonder when these rules were changed.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Same. Its funny I felt we were getting the rub of the green in the 1st qtr. But the reality was we were getting the frees thst were there. Didn't ladt long snd again arguably codt us thr game.

I cannot stand how many throws cripps gets away with. He is the new Treloar, throws it more than he handpasses.

Funny it was 5 frees to 5 them at qtr time yet if u listened to Blues supporters you would think they were getting reamed.

Normal service resumed after that.
We are All paranoid apparently. This from the fox sports article...
The umpiring decisions evened themselves out as the game went on

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
We are All paranoid apparently. This from the fox sports article...
The umpiring decisions evened themselves out as the game went on
This is true because as we know a -10 free kick deficit to Richmond is even.

This is 3 games off the top of my head in the last 5 games.
The umpires have directly influenced the result..
Port game when Grimes was legged he paid holding the ball, last week the shiit we copped in the last qtr was just laughable, kings free kick against Young was close to the softest free I've seen.
And last night especially the last qtr wad beyond a joke.
They blew the whistle with excitement.

P.s we are the 1st to be penalised for a block but I cannot remember ever any of our forwards getting a free kick.
Newman at times had his back to the ball.

8 points up 3 quarter time, I just knew these pricks would have a big say in the result. It;s so *smile* obvious.

Reactions: 1 user
Might be time for the coach to not only work the players on their ball skills and decision making but also on their tackling and blatantly stupid 50 metre penalties. We're our own worst enemies at giving up cheap free kick and 50 metre penalty goals in the comp.

Apart from some appalling decision making and execution in our forward half during the game that cost us multiple goals we again gave away several cheap goals to Carlscum from stupid penalties.

Reactions: 1 user
The first holding the ball early against Dusty killed me - he just looked at the Ump on disbelief. He gets umpired differently

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Here come the umpires……..
I’m not really sure why I couldn’t wait for the footy to start, it’s only round one and I’m already over it.

The first holding the ball early against Dusty killed me - he just looked at the Ump on disbelief. He gets umpired differently
Me too. He gets crucified. Never given any time to get rid of it and an assumption is always made that he’s taken on the tackler even when it’s clear he hasn’t.

Reactions: 2 users
Might be time for the coach to not only work the players on their ball skills and decision making but also on their tackling and blatantly stupid 50 metre penalties. We're our own worst enemies at giving up cheap free kick and 50 metre penalty goals in the comp.

Apart from some appalling decision making and execution in our forward half during the game that cost us multiple goals we again gave away several cheap goals to Carlscum from stupid penalties.
It's time for the coach to teach the players how to cheat and play for frees like most other clubs do

Apperently even Wayne Carey thought we were reemed last night - especially the 70m advantage for the 50 which was soft according to several commentators on radio. Just wait though the AFL fan boys like Whately and Robbo et el will cover it up by showing the Lynch free kicks..... So will the likes of Cornes on Sunday Footy show.

Same. Its funny I felt we were getting the rub of the green in the 1st qtr. But the reality was we were getting the frees thst were there.
Was at the game and my mate said at the time that this feels weird. I said don’t worry, they’ll make up for it and screw us over the rest of the game. If only picking the right powerball numbers could be as predictable.

What stood out for me was the number of times we got the ball, had possession for milliseconds and got pinged for holding the ball, yet I can recall at least a couple of instances where scum players got the ball, took steps, got tackled, did 360’s and still managed to be allowed to get rid of the ball with no penalty. I guess the Chris Judd rule is a birthright at that *smile* of a club