Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Holding the Man, it's a rule, but you wouldn't know it. Maybe paid 10% of the time if I'm being generous.

They could fix a lot of the congestion issues if they just enforced this one little, and very old, rule. But they don't and they have wrecked the game.

Watch some old footy, listen to Lou Richards as he commentates about how the pursuing player has to be so careful not to grab the player about to get the ball until they actually get their hands on the ball. Back in the old days they paid this rule and footy was much better for it.

Now, I know some will say there will be too many free kicks. Well, if they only enforce the rules some of the time what you end up with is a absolute mess, which is precisely what we see now. Umpires have way too much influence because they are told to ensure that there are not many free kicks paid. The AFL have often stated that they don't want so many frees paid - this is a recipe for inconsistent adjudication of the rules and this is what we see. If they started paying holding the man the players' behaviour would change and it would change very quickly.

DS
Umps are poorly coached and taught.
Sometimes a player does not have possession and is running flat out, and taps the ball in preparation to pick it up - gets arm around him and knocked to the ground and impeded - play on - Shai got a real bad one of these late in the game.
Yet grab the jumper for a solit- second and don’t even impede the player - free kick.

Reactions: 1 user
Umps are poorly coached and taught.
Sometimes a player does not have possession and is running flat out, and taps the ball in preparation to pick it up - gets arm around him and knocked to the ground and impeded - play on - Shai got a real bad one of these late in the game.
Yet grab the jumper for a solit- second and don’t even impede the player - free kick.

Grimes got a worse one int he 1st half that directly lead to a GC goal. Ball came in towards Grimes, I think it bounced towards him, he fumbled, ball spills to ground and 1 of their players not realising this, tackles Grimes from front on and takes him to the ground. He was never in possession of the ball but was essentially taken out of the contest. Another Sun picks the ball up and either kicks the goal or was the 1 that was handed off to King to run into an open goal. One of the most blatant frees that should be paid, and 4 umpires didn't see it, but as you say, a tiny pull of the jumper that doesn't impeded would be paid.

I think King got paid a free against Young for a chop of the arms, when Young went to punch the ball over his shoulder, Kings arm didn't even change position so had no impact on his ability to take the mark but of course its paid, but the bigger instance of infringing is not paid.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Just read through each club's 'other games' forum on Big Footy for proof on what these FITH flogs did to us. Class action needed.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the *smile* ant free kicks they immediately pay to Carlton especially to Cripps.
And then it's the ones we never get.
In the last 30 seconds, 2 Carlton are lying on the ball NO RICHMOND player is on them but he calls for a ball up.
Cripps is allowed to barge through on coming players and is never ever pinged, Pickett does the same and is immediately pinged.
The Durdin free kick in the back was 1st holding the ball,. So the call shouldve been holding the ball.
Campbell gets his head crushed by an on coming Carlton player play on but McGovern does the same and is called high.
The 50 that turned out to be 60 is the biggest sign of cheating I've seen.
They were struggling and they played 4 free kicks in a row to Carlton to get them back into the game.
Last qtr goals Durdin free kick
50 to the Viking and Cripps throws the ball out to Cerra similiar to flappers in the 2nd qtr

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
When a game is in doubt you can rely on the umps to make sure the opposition wins

Reactions: 4 users
In the last 30 seconds, 2 Carlton are lying on the ball NO RICHMOND player is on them but he calls for a ball up.

You can't pay HTB if there isn't a tackle. There is no rule to stop a player from standing dead still and just holding the ball. There is no difference between that, in the rules, and sitting on the ground hatching the ball. There has to be a tackle before the ump can blow his whistle. Obviously in this case the ump should have been counting the entire time Carlton were hatching it as "prior opportunity" and so as soon as a Richmond player (Baker) even just touches any of the Carlton players, the should have called HTB due to prior opportunity. That is one of the biggest issues with the way we get umpired. The umps always judge us to have had PO whenever we get tackled, but seem to give our opponents much more leeway to hold the ball and not judge it as PO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Fisher destroyed us tonight.
I lost count how many times we were held or hit high and him and umpire 3 ignored it.
We are lucky Findlay was the emergency umpire in the 2020 GF.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't be tucked anymore
Same. Its funny I felt we were getting the rub of the green in the 1st qtr. But the reality was we were getting the frees thst were there. Didn't ladt long snd again arguably codt us thr game.

I cannot stand how many throws cripps gets away with. He is the new Treloar, throws it more than he handpasses.

Funny it was 5 frees to 5 them at qtr time yet if u listened to Blues supporters you would think they were getting reamed.

Normal service resumed after that.

Reactions: 7 users