Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I really don’t understand why that was a free as I thought it satisfied the criteria to be allowable.
Can someone explain it ?
He took possession within 9 metres, he was under pressure within 9 metres, so on the basis of last few years I can’t explain it.
Oh hang on yea I can - yellow and black were making a come back..!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Watching the replay, O'Gormless really wanted to punish Grimes. He looked ready to pounce as soon as he said get up to Grimes after he was pushed after marking. It could have been 50 as the opponent was not in the marking contest and pushed Grimes. Did Grimes deliberately go to ground?
But then Berry runs at Grimes and all he does is flop when Grimes pushes him? Where is the difference? Why didn't O'Gormless tell him to get up? He was the aggressor at Grimes?

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
He took possession within 9 metres, he was under pressure within 9 metres, so on the basis of last few years I can’t explain it.
Oh hang on yea I can - yellow and black were making a come back..!
I assume the umpire adjudicated he had time and space to dispose of the football before the pressure.

But I've never seen one like that paid before.

Reactions: 2 users
Talking of umpiring in general, did anyone see the Collingwood - GWS game?

The number of score reviews was absolutely ridiculous.

Umpires getting too scared to make a decision in case they are wrong.

• Haha
Watching the replay, O'Gormless really wanted to punish Grimes. He looked ready to pounce as soon as he said get up to Grimes after he was pushed after marking. It could have been 50 as the opponent was not in the marking contest and pushed Grimes. Did Grimes deliberately go to ground?
But then Berry runs at Grimes and all he does is flop when Grimes pushes him? Where is the difference? Why didn't O'Gormless tell him to get up? He was the aggressor at Grimes?
The worse one was about 2 mins later McIntosh is pushed to the ground after he takes a clean mark on the forward 50. The player who pushed him was about 2 meters away when Macca took the mark and din't need to touch him. Cost us a goal. No consistency at all.

• Angry
The worse one was about 2 mins later McIntosh is pushed to the ground after he takes a clean mark on the forward 50. The player who pushed him was about 2 meters away when Macca took the mark and din't need to touch him. Cost us a goal. No consistency at all.
It stood out across the four games. Its something that has stuck in my craw for years. This should be simple. If your late to the contest, no punches or pushes, just pay a 50 and it disappears. Easy. They get convoluted and confused and stuff up things endlessly, prior opp/ spilled out in tackle and HTB, stand rule, but they can't get the simple, basic stuff right. Its an ugly part of the game that should be easy to eradicate. If it did get controversial, they'd probably come up with some crap new sub-rule rather than just enforce the existing one.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It stood out across the four games. Its something that has stuck in my craw for years. This should be simple. If your late to the contest, no punches or pushes, just pay a 50 and it disappears. Easy. They get convoluted and confused and stuff up things endlessly, prior opp/ spilled out in tackle and HTB, stand rule, but they can't get the simple, basic stuff right. Its an ugly part of the game that should be easy to eradicate. If it did get controversial, they'd probably come up with some crap new sub-rule rather than just enforce the existing one.

You are so right. So many rules open to interpretation which were brought in to make up for the inadequacies of a prior rule change. It is a joke.

I expect this sort of rubbish from the amateurs running the AFL, still bloody irritating though.

DS

• Haha
I assume the umpire adjudicated he had time and space to dispose of the football before the pressure.

But I've never seen one like that paid before.
Yeah. I looked at it this way. He had 3 options.
1. He had to dispose of the ball straight away
2. He held on to the ball and hoped to be tackled and pushed over the line for a behind
3. He did what he did and draw the opponent close enough to him for him to rush a behind

He didn’t go for option 1 because he obviously didn’t see a good opportunity to clear the ball to our advantage
If he went for option 2 the umpire would have paid a free against him for holding the ball even if he went over the line first
He went for option 3 and we all saw the result

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
about 5minutes before the Grimes 50, Witts grabbed Vlastuin high before a boundary throw in- the ump said dont get in his way and he wont grab you high.
Then Grimes got pushed over after he marked - the ump said get up.
Then Grimes grabbed the Sun after the Sun ran over to him- the Sun dived backwards and a 50 is paid.

3 decisions. in some ways all 3 can be justified. But of course only one was paid- and it gave the Suns an easy goal at a time we were pressuring them.

The Broad one again can be justified, and Im sure next time a similar one occurs it wont be paid and again it will be justified.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
about 5minutes before the Grimes 50, Witts grabbed Vlastuin high before a boundary throw in- the ump said dont get in his way and he wont grab you high.
Then Grimes got pushed over after he marked - the ump said get up.
Then Grimes grabbed the Sun after the Sun ran over to him- the Sun dived backwards and a 50 is paid.

3 decisions. in some ways all 3 can be justified. But of course only one was paid- and it gave the Suns an easy goal at a time we were pressuring them.

The Broad one again can be justified, and Im sure next time a similar one occurs it wont be paid and again it will be justified.
Exactly - the Vlastuin one especially irked me after it was pointed out to me.
They don't like Vlastuin at all, and no doubt chat about him over tea and tic-tocs..

• Haha
Exactly - the Vlastuin one especially irked me after it was pointed out to me.
They don't like Vlastuin at all, and no doubt chat about him over tea and tic-tocs..

Yeah, that's because he dived when he assaulted Dangerflogs forearm in the 2020 GF

• Angry
  • Haha
Lots of sneaky holding going on by the Sun$.

Who would blame oppo for doing that? Free kicks for us is like getting blood out of a stone. I'd try it on too.

As ever, it's the ones we don't get.

Reactions: 7 users

Who would blame oppo for doing that? Free kicks for us is like getting blood out of a stone. I'd try it on too.

Maybe that was dimmas key intel for this game.

Blatantly infringe off the ball near ogorman and he won’t pay anything as he hates the black and yellow.

Dive near ogorman and you will get 50.

Voila.

Yet they got a few holding frees in the middle (at least 2 to Rowell IIRC)

I have always wondered why doesn't Dusty get more frees for this? He is constantly impeded off ball.

Yet they got a few holding frees in the middle (at least 2 to Rowell IIRC)

I have always wondered why doesn't Dusty get more frees for this? He is constantly impeded off ball.

Holding the Man, it's a rule, but you wouldn't know it. Maybe paid 10% of the time if I'm being generous.

They could fix a lot of the congestion issues if they just enforced this one little, and very old, rule. But they don't and they have wrecked the game.

Watch some old footy, listen to Lou Richards as he commentates about how the pursuing player has to be so careful not to grab the player about to get the ball until they actually get their hands on the ball. Back in the old days they paid this rule and footy was much better for it.

Now, I know some will say there will be too many free kicks. Well, if they only enforce the rules some of the time what you end up with is a absolute mess, which is precisely what we see now. Umpires have way too much influence because they are told to ensure that there are not many free kicks paid. The AFL have often stated that they don't want so many frees paid - this is a recipe for inconsistent adjudication of the rules and this is what we see. If they started paying holding the man the players' behaviour would change and it would change very quickly.

DS