Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Then later he tackled Carroll who threw the ball away - play on.
KMac threw the ball, and got pinged. About 30 other players threw the ball and didnt.

It was like they talked at 1/4 time and realised we might actually win if they give us frees.

Reactions: 6 users
It’s obscene how quickly these maggots blow their whistle when paying frees or 50m penalties against us. And on the rare occasion we do get a free, we have to wait for an eternity for the whistle to blow. This corruption against us knows no bounds.

Reactions: 1 users
KMac threw the ball, and got pinged. About 30 other players threw the ball and didnt.

It was like they talked at 1/4 time and realised we might actually win if they give us frees.
KMac got pinged right in front of their goals. Then in the last quarter about 10 metres from where that happened, Cripps threw the ball out to Folding Cerra who goaled.

Dusty pinged HTB when tackled immediately. Cottrell picked the ball up, took three steps while changing direction twice then dived into a tackle, ball-up.

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users
It’s obscene how quickly these maggots blow their whistle when paying frees or 50m penalties against us. And on the rare occasion we do get a free, we have to wait for an eternity for the whistle to blow. This corruption against us knows no bounds.
Those 50s, just like the Grimes one last week, clearly shows a different agenda on us. Who knows if there is a cold war bubbling under the surface with Benny and the AholeFL.

Those 50s, just like the Grimes one last week, clearly shows a different agenda on us. Who knows if there is a cold war bubbling under the surface with Benny and the AholeFL.
Instruction from the AFL
"We will continue reaming your club until you leave and look after Tassie for us and bow to all our wishes"

Hopefully more heat from outside Richmond will start to gain some traction as Grant Thomas was scathing of the umpiring as well.

The 50 was awful. For the last 2 weeks I have watched opponents come late and give us a deliberate push after we mark- (we probably do the same)- no 50. Baker was running diagnally away from the mark, and DeKoning was runnning on a 45deg angle from the mark. Not Baker's fault.

Then the 50 was way too long, which as it happened gave him a comfortable shot at goal, rather than a kick from 60 out.

Reactions: 8 users
The 50 was awful. For the last 2 weeks I have watched opponents come late and give us a deliberate push after we mark- (we probably do the same)- no 50. Baker was running diagnally away from the mark, and DeKoning was runnning on a 45deg angle from the mark. Not Baker's fault.

Then the 50 was way too long, which as it happened gave him a comfortable shot at goal, rather than a kick from 60 out.
What was the free kick count?

Including a goal from dead in front when Cripps rugby style threw the ball out. Carlton fans around me were laughing about how he got away with that one. Guess they don't watch Richmond every week then

Reactions: 4 users
A blues fan near me was complaining about the umps in the first qtr saying the AFL and the umps love Richmond. Didn't mention the umps after that.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

The 50 was a joke in terms of length. I've just seen it back. It happened 1m off the back of the square. The square is 50m, so Baker should have been positioned around 1m off the back of the square or outside 50. Like you say that would have meant De Koning would have had to kick from 50, instead of just inside the 50m arc as Baler was set back 5-6m inside 50. I don't get how its that hard to measure. This should have been the easiest 50 to measure out due to where it happened and with the centre square being 50m in length.

Reactions: 1 user
A blues fan near me was complaining about the umps in the first qtr saying the AFL and the umps love Richmond. Didn't mention the umps after that.

Still even with the 1st quarter, the 1st Lynch free from the ruck contest was definitely there, 2 hands in the small of the back and he pushed, its a free every day of the week. The 2nd Lynch one I felt we got away with, Young definitely turned his back and put his arm across Lynch which is what the ump would have seen but it was MRJ that knocked him over, I shouted out Maurice in frustration at it and I was behind the Punt Road goals.

The other 3 they went nuts about were the Balta in the back, they seem to have forgotten that you can have your arm in the back, you just can't push, I didn't see any pushing action from Balta, he just used his body to position them away from the ball, the Short free that he goaled from when his shorts were nearly pulled off him they were screaming about, Carlscum supporter behind me called it ridiculous, but you know if that was them they'd be screaming blue murder, and the other one was the mark that clearly hit the ground, they even showed it hitting the ground on the big screen.

So 1 free that was a bit dodgy was what they were complaining about. We can easily top that.

Reactions: 4 users
Still even with the 1st quarter, the 1st Lynch free from the ruck contest was definitely there, 2 hands in the small of the back and he pushed, its a free every day of the week. The 2nd Lynch one I felt we got away with, Young definitely turned his back and put his arm across Lynch which is what the ump would have seen but it was MRJ that knocked him over, I shouted out Maurice in frustration at it and I was behind the Punt Road goals.

The other 3 they went nuts about were the Balta in the back, they seem to have forgotten that you can have your arm in the back, you just can't push, I didn't see any pushing action from Balta, he just used his body to position them away from the ball, the Short free that he goaled from when his shorts were nearly pulled off him they were screaming about, Carlscum supporter behind me called it ridiculous, but you know if that was them they'd be screaming blue murder, and the other one was the mark that clearly hit the ground, they even showed it hitting the ground on the big screen.

So 1 free that was a bit dodgy was what they were complaining about. We can easily top that.
That is not a dodgy free posh!!! Learn the bloody rules. You cannot make front on contact when not watching the ball. He contacts Lynch without watching the ball. It doesn't matter what Rioli was doing. All that matters is Young contacted Lynch in a marking contest when not watching the ball.

It is the one rule the umps almost always get right because it is so bloody simple. It doesn't matter if the contact is slight, hard whatever. You must be watching and contesting the ball, if you are not and you make any contact it is a free. It wasn't "dodgy"!!!!!!!

So basically, no dodgy frees to us but a cacophany of boos from the opposition and a slight feeling of guilt from most Richmond supporters.

The AFL and their respect for umpires can get *smile*. These guys have been umpiring for years, they are not inexperienced kids. I cannot stand umpires at junior levels being abused, threatened etc. They are almost volunteers helping out. I don't expect them to be great (although most of them are more competent than the AFL umps) But the AFL umpires are basically professionals.They get coaching. They get performance management. They get a lot of assistance. Yet still get basic stuff wrong. Often. I have no respect for them.

Reactions: 6 users
If this were one of our players, I am sure we would have got pinged for interference. Maybe I am wrong, but you cant not touch the ball and take the body in a marking contest can you?

Aye, fact check yo:

MARKING CONTESTS

18.5.1 Spirit and Intention
The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

18.5.2 Free Kicks - Marking Contests
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player
where the Player:
(a) holds or blocks an opposition Player;
(b) unduly pushes or bumps an opposition Player;
(c) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player;
(d) makes contact to an opposition Player from front-on and
whose sole objective is not to contest or spoil a Mark; or
(e) makes an unrealistic attempt to contest or spoil a Mark
which interferes with an opposition Player.

18.5.3 Permitted Contact
Incidental contact in a Marking contest will be permitted if the Player’s sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark

So Grimey Grimes already had the ball in his hands and he was bumped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If this were one of our players, I am sure we would have got pinged for interference. Maybe I am wrong, but you cant not touch the ball and take the body in a marking contest can you?

Aye, fact check yo:

MARKING CONTESTS

The Player whose sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark shall be permitted to do so.

where the Player:

18.5.3 Permitted Contact
Incidental contact in a Marking contest will be permitted if the Player’s sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark

Yeah watching live it certainly looked like he run into Grimes back.

Then after the point to Curnow the ump let the Blue stand the mark at the edge of the goal square instead of 10 metres back. Considering the mark was moved back from 5mt out to 10 to allow teams to clear the ball easier that is a pretty big stuff up.

Aye, fact check yo:

MARKING CONTESTS

where the Player:

18.5.3 Permitted Contact

Even if it wasn't a mark, it certainly was a push in the back, which is a free kick everyday of the week. But obviously
not if you're a Richmond player.

Yeah watching live it certainly looked like he run into Grimes back.

Then after the point to Curnow the ump let the Blue stand the mark at the edge of the goal square instead of 10 metres back. Considering the mark was moved back from 5mt out to 10 to allow teams to clear the ball easier that is a pretty big stuff up.

Where he stood was correct. If it was signalled a behind you are right, he has to stand 10m back from the square, but as it was a paid a free for HTB then you only have to go back to the 9.

You have the same view as I did (and still do) over the non free to Grimes. It was there every day of the week. No idea hoe the flog can be no more than 15m away and miss it. I was livid, so stoked that Vlastuin was so engaged though that they didn't get a score.