Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The field umpires are in control of the game, the rules say so.

DS
But the AFL clearly don't hold them accountable or responsible. Despite them having the written authority. What a shitshow the AFL run.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Not the only problem, yes, the goal ump got it wrong, but so did all 4 field umpires because none of them called for a review, which they should have, instead, one of them must have called all clear which was wrong. The field umpires are in control of the game, the rules say so.

DS
thanks DS, I didn't realise they could do that with the ball possibly hitting the post, I thought the goal umpire would say, 'I believe it was a behind..' and then ask the field umps to ask (f)ARC..

Reactions: 1 user
With 4 umpires on the ground, how hard would it be for an umpire to stand 20 metres behind the player taking the kick for goal, and if they deviate off the line, immediately call play on.

2 umps close to goal looking for infringements and helping the goal ump out (if the ball is close to the post, or touched close to goal line...call for a review), 1 ump on the mark, 1 ump behind the goal kicker.

This would be applicable with or without the stupid stand rule.
Wasn’t the whole point of bringing in another umpire was so that they can position themselves better to see everything? Worked out well. I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve seen 1 umpire all the way back at the other end of the ground and the other 3 flogs all on one side of the play, thereby missing obvious throws, dropping the ball , holding the man etc. it’s either bad coaching of the umpires or just stupidity of the umpires

Reactions: 5 users
thanks DS, I didn't realise they could do that with the ball possibly hitting the post, I thought the goal umpire would say, 'I believe it was a behind..' and then ask the field umps to ask (f)ARC..

Field umpires have the final say so they can ask for a review and 1 field umpire has to call all clear or the score is not registered.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Field umpires have the final say so they can ask for a review and 1 field umpire has to call all clear or the score is not registered.

DS
interesting.. and kinda doesn't make sense.. for instance, how does a field ump make the call in the Crows/Swans game
that he thinks it might be a goal? in that case it seemed like they went with what the Goal Ump said.. ?

Yes, we all wish the AFL was run by FIFA, that would clean up the game quick smart.

We are all still waiting for your examples of results being overturned after the finish due to an in game umpiring error?
You do like the sound of your own voice don’t you. By the way the clubs in Seria A have more autonomy than the clubs that make up the AFL.

I’ll let you do the research to answer your own question. We are curious what you come up with!

So obviously the goal umpire doesn't have to ask for a score review for the ARC to review a decision.

The teflon AFL hanging the goal umpire out to dry.
ARC only reviews the goals to make sure there's no mistake. Games already stopped and resetting so there's time for a quick sneaky peep at the footage. This time it was just a point so play restarted immediately with no time for a quick peep.
*smile* hit the fan when some fool noticed that it was indeed actually a goal and not a point. Thereby requiring poor old mate Gilligan to have to front the media n do the old Sorreee, my bad, but *smile* happens so just suck it up.

Pathetic thing about this incident and so many other issues with AFLHQ is that they cover up, deny, deflect over and over then occasionally get dragged into an apology over the stuff ups. But the bastards never actually do anything to rectify the causes of the stuff ups. They just somehow imagine that these stuff ups are just random one off events that will never occur again and just fade away into some sort of blurry nether world of irrelevance.

They had the perfect opportunity with Gilligan's two year retirement tour to actually put the dunny brush through HQ. Thoroughly clean out the skid marks and completely refresh the place, but in typical AFL fashion they retained a skid mark that's been a large part of the stink for a dozen years or so. Simply carry on full steam ahead with the same crap they've been dishing up for ages.

Reactions: 6 users
interesting.. and kinda doesn't make sense.. for instance, how does a field ump make the call in the Crows/Swans game
that he thinks it might be a goal? in that case it seemed like they went with what the Goal Ump said.. ?

True, the goal umpire adjudicates on whether it was a goal or a behind, but the field umpire still has to give the all clear and still has the option to call for a review.

It was a close one, and I've seen field umpires call for reviews when the goal umpire has made a call they are confident of.

I think we will see more reviews of behinds now, not that this will sort it out as we saw what happened last year in the Elimination Final.

DS

The AFL is the most amateurish sporting organisation in the world.

They confirm it just about every week.

Reactions: 7 users
You do like the sound of your own voice don’t you. By the way the clubs in Seria A have more autonomy than the clubs that make up the AFL.

I’ll let you do the research to answer your own question. We are curious what you come up with!
If you heard me sing you would like the sound of my voice too, but that is irrelevant here.

I have spent the last 18 hours researching- no sleep last night- and I cannot find any evidence, anywhere, to back your claim that other leagues, or other sports, have changed the result of a game due to an in game officiating error.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
If you heard me sing you would like the sound of my voice too, but that is irrelevant here.

I have spent the last 18 hours researching- no sleep last night- and I cannot find any evidence, anywhere, to back your claim that other leagues, or other sports, have changed the result of a game due to an in game officiating error.
They might have changed the rules since this happened but st Kilda won their first game after the vfl changed the result. It was 1900 and had something to do with the 3/4 time siren. Round 1 against Melbourne. I’m trying to find an article detailing the circumstances surrounding it

Keep looking - impressed by the 18 hours of research. Is that figure quantifiable?

And to be clear look for the administration of a particular league changing the result when the same administration post game declared the umpire(s) got it wrong.

And its not just the play on call that is a "variable".

It's the variation in time it takes them to say "stand". Which means a player may well be trying to creep back outside 5. And the ump calls stand and the player may be moving which is a 50. Unless it's not and then the ump says "outside 5".

Or the case where the player deliberately encroaches an extra 2-3m over the mark by pointing at the ground. And some umps call him to "come back 2m". And some don't. And some pay 50 for going over the mark and holding up play, and some don't.

And all the while they have to keep a mental note of how long the player has had the ball because they need to call play on at some point. And in the last 2 minutes that time is shrunk because we want to add to the excitement by giving the opposition time to get the ball back.
The solution is so simple. Dump this ugly, uncompetitive, subjective, blight on football.
Revert back to the mark rule. A player moves off the mark it is play on.

Reactions: 4 users
They might have changed the rules since this happened but st Kilda won their first game after the vfl changed the result. It was 1900 and had something to do with the 3/4 time siren. Round 1 against Melbourne. I’m trying to find an article detailing the circumstances surrounding it
Plenty of timekeeping incidents in the ‘similar incidents’ section here were results were changed. All a long time again though.

Has it been discussed

That the adelaide goal debarcle,

Mathematically also excluded richmond from finals?

Maybe as redress, we could seek a downgrade in Tyler Sonsies AFL 360 charges of on-field aggravated necrophiliac orbital sodomy with intent,

To careless conduct?

• Wow
Has it been discussed

That the adelaide goal debarcle,

Mathematically also excluded richmond from finals?

Maybe as redress, we could seek a downgrade in Tyler Sonsies AFL 360 charges of on-field aggravated necrophiliac orbital sodomy with intent,

To careless conduct?
Nope they have decided to go for the full rogering and ask for more weeks! When have they ever did anything for Richmond’s benefit? We would never have even got an admission that the decision was wrong, it would have been signed off in an instant.

Watching the Port V Richmond game, the HTB/ Incorrect disposal/ spilled out in the tackle situation is completely stuffed.

I've never been able get a satisfactory explanation of what SOITT actually is. Does it only apply if it happens quickly? Where does SOITT stop and ID start?

There have been half a dozen examples so far this game where players have been tackled, have prior op, sum up a few options and deciding against them before being swamped, ball spills, play on.

Only once has a player been penalised, Jack Graham, when he made an attempt to HB. Its clear to me you are more likely to be penalised if you make an attempt to legally dispose of the ball, you're better off just letting it loose from your grasp.

Reactions: 4 users
I have never ever criticised umpires
BUT
Eleni Tee is purely guessing free kicks today
She can come and turn on my dishwasher and empty it after the cycle has finished
Seriously terrible Eleni today
And I stick up for umpires!!!!

BUT
She can come and turn on my dishwasher and empty it after the cycle has finished
As l said on another stream, she is very pedantic and unsure of herself

BUT
But not women clearly……….