Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

With 6 points in it, JHF is spun 720 only to incorrectly dispose of it. They go up the other end & score..wow.
There seemed to be a lot of examples of this yesterday, player holds it for an eternity, assesses multiple options while tackled, eventually drops it, play-on. Surely, scrutiny to ensure that disposal is legal would increase the longer the player is given? Apparently not.

Reactions: 1 user
Laura Kane taking over permanently Brad Scott’s role at the afl. Has been in the job as interim GM of football this year. That is working well with umpiring standard and rules of the game.

• Haha
I hear Laura Kane saying she’s going to be looking into goal line technology, what other codes are doing, ball tracking technology.

Hate to tell you this Laura but the AFL has been “looking into” all of the above for about 10 years now. Not that it’s all that important or been an issue in the past or anything…..

Maybe instead of “looking” Laura you could finally start “doing.”

Reactions: 2 users
I hear Laura Kane saying she’s going to be looking into goal line technology, what other codes are doing, ball tracking technology.

Hate to tell you this Laura but the AFL has been “looking into” all of the above for about 10 years now. Not that it’s all that important or been an issue in the past or anything…..

Maybe instead of “looking” Laura you could finally start “doing.”
She has been in the role this season. Going well.

• Dislike
Some of the umpiring in the Pies -vs- GWS game last night was farcical to my eyes, and even whilst taking into account that the umpires usually let the game flow more in finals games. (especially in the last Qtr)

Some on PRE thought the umpiring was fine; below are some of Leigh Matthews views on last night.

(You can listen to his thoughts in more detail on the 3AW site)

“Leigh Matthews has launched a scathing review of the umpiring from the preliminary final between Collingwood and GWS.

Matthews said only 24 free kicks paid, 12 either side, was “ridiculously low” for what was a high pressure game.”

“Last night’s total failure to protect the player with the ball, even by modern standards, I reckon was appalling,” Matthews said on 3AW Football.

Why did it happen that four umpires, four of the good umpires, went to a game and decided just not to pay free kicks, not to protect the player with the ball?”

Reactions: 5 users
Some of the umpiring in the Pies -vs- GWS game last night was farcical to my eyes, and even whilst taking into account that the umpires usually let the game flow more in finals games. (especially in the last Qtr)

Some on PRE thought the umpiring was fine; below are some of Leigh Matthews views on last night.

(You can listen to his thoughts in more detail on the 3AW site)

“Leigh Matthews has launched a scathing review of the umpiring from the preliminary final between Collingwood and GWS.

Matthews said only 24 free kicks paid, 12 either side, was “ridiculously low” for what was a high pressure game.”

“Last night’s total failure to protect the player with the ball, even by modern standards, I reckon was appalling,” Matthews said on 3AW Football.

Why did it happen that four umpires, four of the good umpires, went to a game and decided just not to pay free kicks, not to protect the player with the ball?”

This is a very salient point. The umpires don't protect the players.

I would say that one day we will see a player knocked out and the umpires take no action, but we all know this already happens - from memory there was no free given when Prestia was ironed out in 2022. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

It is a disgrace.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
This is a very salient point. The umpires don't protect the players.

I would say that one day we will see a player knocked out and the umpires take no action, but we all know this already happens - from memory there was no free given when Prestia was ironed out in 2022. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

It is a disgrace.

DS
Flossy in the 2020 granny was no free kick for a head high forearm that near on decapitated him. Accidental or not it was still a free kick every day of the week.

The umpiring for the prelims has been appalling. Whoever umpires the GF will be a very lucky to get there. I understand the 'let it go' approach during finals - it is far preferable to the home and away call anything and everything approach. However the AFL has messed with their heads - after a season where the head must be protected at all costs - they are now letting a string of blatant head high tackles go. I often wonder if the AFL hierarchy is either corrupt or incompetent, but they are clearly both.

Reactions: 4 users
The umpiring for the prelims has been appalling. Whoever umpires the GF will be a very lucky to get there. I understand the 'let it go' approach during finals - it is far preferable to the home and away call anything and everything approach. However the AFL has messed with their heads - after a season where the head must be protected at all costs - they are now letting a string of blatant head high tackles go. I often wonder if the AFL hierarchy is either corrupt or incompetent, but they are clearly both.
Both I would have thought and there is oodles of evidence to back up that assessment of the useless (#uck everything they touch) AFL administration.

Delayed free kicks never used to happen, you see at least half a dozen a game now. Umpires are waiting for one of the other umpires to pay a free kick, which results in a a free kick being paid 2 or 3 seconds after the incident, or on a lot of occasions no free kick being paid at all.

Having four field umpires has been an abject failure.

Especially when 4 can't see a Brisbane guy get his head ripped off but then pay the same thing at the other end 39 seconds later. If ever a "captain's challenge " is warranted it was with that one incident alone. That could've been a 12 point turnaround just on 3/4 time.

Thank god for Leigh Matthews.
He should be the head of football.
What an absolute disgrace, umpires missed free kicks this weekend which wouldve been paid in the 80's when there was only 2 umpires.
Gilligan has torched the comp

Last edited:
Delayed free kicks never used to happen, you see at least half a dozen a game now. Umpires are waiting for one of the other umpires to pay a free kick, which results in a a free kick being paid 2 or 3 seconds after the incident, or on a lot of occasions no free kick being paid at all.

Having four field umpires has been an abject failure.
Or waiting for someone (Gill) to yell at them through their earpiece to pay a free