Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Suggest you watch the 2.41mins to go in last nights game and tell me why the below the knees wasn’t paid
Thought it was a trip myself. Regardless another basic free kick missed at a crucial stage of the game.

Reactions: 2 users
You are a closet Geelong supporter ain’t you?

So in other words, no you don't have any evidence whatsoever.

Suggest you watch the 2.41mins to go in last nights game and tell me why the below the knees wasn’t paid

One bad decision doesn't say any more about the standard of umpiring than one good one does.

The point was asserted that the standard of umpiring is abysmal. So far all that is based on is I watched a game and saw a bad decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Just watched the replay of the Melbourne Carlton game. I don't think he touched it, but the soft call was a goal so I suppose its justifiable and they followed due process, which is what you'd expect a professional top level organisation to do, hang on, they DIDN'T DO THAT WITH US IN THEBLOODY EF LAST SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just watched the replay of the Melbourne Carlton game. I don't think he touched it, but the soft call was a goal so I suppose its justifiable and they followed due process, which is what you'd expect a professional top level organisation to do, hang on, they DIDN'T DO THAT WITH US IN THEBLOODY EF LAST SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post something very similar just then in another thread TS.

What made me laugh is that with the Cameron mark the AFL stated the boundary umpire was in the best position to make the call. Interesting when you compare this comment to the Lynch non goal against Brisbane. Surely the goal umpire was in the best position to make the call.

I think that's a big generalisation without evidence to support it.

In the past umpires have consistently been audited at about 80 odd % accuracy on the whistle and 70 odd % in total. Would be interesting to see what those numbers look like this season with 4 operating.
I think most would agree a lot of the calls the umps make can be called "right", but a big issue is the greyness, and the 2 very similar actions can be called 2 different ways.
I remember you arguing earlier in the year that the dissent that cost Carlton a game was clearly dissent, but then when Cameron was given the mark, the 2 Pies were waving their arms around for hours. Dissent is now never paid. Until it is.

You claim the "deliberate" rule is clear, and that players know what they are doing, then you watch 2 layers kick it out in the same manner and 1 is called.
Sometimes players are called back to the 9mt line when a defender takes a mark, sometimes it is 50 straight away.
Sometimes players are called play on for moving slightly off their line, other times they go metres before any call is made.
Players are held consistently without the ball, sometimes, but rarely it is paid.
PLayers duck into tackles all the time. Sometimes it is too high, sometimes it is holding the ball, sometimes it is a ball up.

A reasonable question is whether the 4th umpire contributes to these inconsistencies, and whether that contribution outweighs the benefit of the extra set of eyes.

Reactions: 3 users
I think most would agree a lot of the calls the umps make can be called "right", but a big issue is the greyness, and the 2 very similar actions can be called 2 different ways.
I remember you arguing earlier in the year that the dissent that cost Carlton a game was clearly dissent, but then when Cameron was given the mark, the 2 Pies were waving their arms around for hours. Dissent is now never paid. Until it is.

You claim the "deliberate" rule is clear, and that players know what they are doing, then you watch 2 layers kick it out in the same manner and 1 is called.
Sometimes players are called back to the 9mt line when a defender takes a mark, sometimes it is 50 straight away.
Sometimes players are called play on for moving slightly off their line, other times they go metres before any call is made.
Players are held consistently without the ball, sometimes, but rarely it is paid.
PLayers duck into tackles all the time. Sometimes it is too high, sometimes it is holding the ball, sometimes it is a ball up.

A reasonable question is whether the 4th umpire contributes to these inconsistencies, and whether that contribution outweighs the benefit of the extra set of eyes.

Ill stand up for Big Rich on the deliberate rule

After many arguments I have to admit when I watch the rule as he describes it I can count on one hand the number that dont match up

Far too much sense in this post for this thread.

As usual the hysteria and hyperbole from fat blokes on couches is ridiculous.

'How can they possibly miss that, 4 umpires blah blah, professional game, will cost someone a flag one day dribble dribble'.

It's like their tiny little minds are incapable of realising these things happen in real time with one look and mistakes are easy to make. Have a look at the absolute rubbish that gets reviewed in a game of cricket and see how easy it is for people in the moment to see everything correctly.
As usual, the worlds most famous umpire masseuse, total body rub, comes in with his trolling put downs.

You've managed to introduce a couple of new insults - fat and tiny little minds.

Unsure why a self-declared wealthy, connected and highly intelligent individual continues to waste his time dealing with the plebs of PRE?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Ill stand up for Big Rich on the deliberate rule

After many arguments I have to admit when I watch the rule as he describes it I can count on one hand the number that dont match up
Yeah, most that are paid can be justified. But plenty aren't paid.
They let guys walk over the line unpunished, but at least that is consistent. Likewise forwards generally don't get called for doing exactly as mid or defenders do, but again that is consistent.
But rushed kicks and skill errors Sometimes get called and sometimes don't.

Yeah, most that are paid can be justified. But plenty aren't paid.
They let guys walk over the line unpunished, but at least that is consistent. Likewise forwards generally don't get called for doing exactly as mid or defenders do, but again that is consistent.
But rushed kicks and skill errors Sometimes get called and sometimes don't.

I wouldnt say plenty I find I can call it before the whistle goes 8 or 9 times out of 10 so you cant ask much more than that

Trick is just look if there is a team mate close enough to where the ball goes out thats pretty much all they go on

So in other words, no you don't have any evidence whatsoever.

One bad decision doesn't say any more about the standard of umpiring than one good one does.

The point was asserted that the standard of umpiring is abysmal. So far all that is based on is I watched a game and saw a bad decision.
Seems you like the sound of your own voice and I for one find it something of an annoying drone like background noise.

Pull you head out of your ars###% and listen, watch and read what people - lots of people, are saying about the standard of AFL umpiring. Across the country and from all supporter groups, including former players and coaches.

Oh and your number of k’s supposedly run by AFL umpires, must be heavily reduced by the introduction of a 4th umpire this year!

I’ve also heard around the traps that next year the AFL will make it compulsory for all umpires to carry a white cane and wear Roy Orbison type dark shades to provide the perfect excuse for all their on field mistakes and blunders :ROFLMAO:

Seems you like the sound of your own voice and I for one find it something of an annoying drone like background noise.

Pull you head out of your ars###% and listen, watch and read what people - lots of people, are saying about the standard of AFL umpiring. Across the country and from all supporter groups, including former players and coaches.

Oh and your number of k’s supposedly run by AFL umpires, must be heavily reduced by the introduction of a 4th umpire this year!

I’ve also heard around the traps that next year the AFL will make it compulsory for all umpires to carry a white cane and wear Roy Orbison type dark shades to provide the perfect excuse for all their on field mistakes and blunders :ROFLMAO:

If your hearing voices that might be on you chief last time I checked theres no sound here

If you are standing and then try a duck a tackle you are supposed to lose your prior right?

Ross ducked under a Pickett tackle and got a free. Umpires are contributing to future concussions with this poor form.

We had 2 incidents where our player had he’s head over the ball got head contact , we got pinned, but that stuff happens.

Geez I dislike the rules and umpiring nowadays.

Thats just pathetic, maybe we need 15 umpires to spot those types of frees

As usual, the worlds most famous umpire masseuse, total body rub, comes in with his trolling put downs.

You've managed to introduce a couple of new insults - fat and tiny little minds.

Unsure why a self-declared wealthy, connected and highly intelligent individual continues to waste his time dealing with the plebs of PRE?

Bit ironic when your own post is full of trolling put downs there chief

We were terrible but these guys weren’t far behind. 7-20 midway through the third. Think it end up 12-23. Half a dozen frees just completely missed for us and everything paid to the saints.

Reactions: 4 users