Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Answer the question, when did you last see something like that happen?

My mistake I should have said reviews don't look at umpiring decisions. They look at if the ball was touched and where it went through.

The fact the ball was out of bounds when it was kicked is out of the scope of the review. It is only looking at what happened once it was kicked.
I suspect you're right on the review, but it throws up an unanticipated ambiguity. The review system was meant to eradicate the clanger, it hasn't. I'm not saying it should be expanded, but it really highlights the problems with it.

I don't have a bot memory, but what's it got to do with a simple obvious mistake that could've been witnessed by 3 other umpires and overturned? They had time while Cameron was ready to kick.

You realise it is the boundary umpire who calls it out of bounds, not the central umpire? At most he could ask the boundary if he was sure and the other three centrals have nothing to do with it.

When the handball was given the the central called play on, the boundary should have blown his whistle and called out of bounds.

My point is I don't remember anything like that ever happening before, it's a very unusual situation. Yet you expect an umpire, who has more than likely never seen that situation before, to have something unexpected happen in real time and in that split second make the right decision. And yet you claim a 5 year old could get it right. Because we all get things right the very first time obviously.

Surely you must see that your irrational hatred of umpires makes you hopelessly compromised.

I suspect you're right on the review, but it throws up an unanticipated ambiguity. The review system was meant to eradicate the clanger, it hasn't. I'm not saying it should be expanded, but it really highlights the problems with it.

Where do you stop that though? That was an error a possession before the goal, what if it was 5 possessions before? or 10?

Are we going to have the review watch the entire passage of play before the goal and look for any missed free kicks?

You realise it is the boundary umpire who calls it out of bounds, not the central umpire? At most he could ask the boundary if he was sure and the other three centrals have nothing to do with it.

When the handball was given the the central called play on, the boundary should have blown his whistle and called out of bounds.

My point is I don't remember anything like that ever happening before, it's a very unusual situation. Yet you expect an umpire, who has more than likely never seen that situation before, to have something unexpected happen in real time and in that split second make the right decision. And yet you claim a 5 year old could get it right. Because we all get things right the very first time obviously.

Surely you must see that you irrational hatred of umpires makes you hopelessly compromised.
'The central called play on'.....just shows how stupid they are. Obviously didn't realise 2 players with ball OOB!!!!

Where's the cohesion between these morons!! Tons of time to stop game, discuss, review, explain to Cameron and then throw back in.

This is my point, you don't understand the rules. The central calls play on if the player plays on. It doesn't matter if he is in bounds or not, that's for the boundary umpire to decide.
and that's what has to be fixed!!! Why couldn't the boundary umpire call it back? What's with all the screaming and yelling of supporters in the background??? WAKE UP!!

You clearly have no respect or regard for the complexity or the difficulty of the role so it is pointless even discussing it with you.

I'd love to see you have a go at it.
I’ve umpired, I’ve never been the same since.
I can say I never made a mistake (dunno whether that’s true but I can say it)
After a week of getting self inflicted uppercuts I woke up to myself and decided I’d leave it up to the aliens to blow whistles.

That statement really excludes you from being able to have any perspective at all on the topic.

Any even slightly fair minded person would acknowledge AFL umpiring is right at the top end of the most difficult and complicated sports to officiate on anywhere in the world.

If you can't get to that position then your opinion is never going to be valid.
Oh really. And where are you pulling that cliched bit of information from?

It’s the bloody AFL - it’s not a World Cup Final watched by more than 5 billion people around the world.

Football is not a complicated game to umpire - unless of course you approve of the morons in AFL House adding, subtracting rules of the game and complicating the officiating of the game every year. Adding extra umpires that add another level of confusion.

Clearly you are an AFL apologist or a Geelong supporter :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Where do you stop that though? That was an error a possession before the goal, what if it was 5 possessions before? or 10?

Are we going to have the review watch the entire passage of play before the goal and look for any missed free kicks?
Yeah that's a slippery slope argument, and I hear it, but surely having the review to include checking if ball was kicked in the field of play, like they kind of already do when checking if kicked before crossing the goal line, is not that outrageous?

Aah the Big Noter is back and defending the indefensible.

Mind you, I am impressed by the patronising tone when he claims things like that the field umpire cannot call the ball out of bounds, let's look at the rules as devised and published by the AFL shall we:

Under Duties, section 8.2 it states:

8.2.1 Field Umpires
The field Umpires shall have full control of and officiate a Match in accordance
with these Laws.

So, yes, the field umpire can call it out of bounds. Learn the rules.

As for the decision, seriously, how complicated can it be when the ball is clearly out of bounds? How many umpires missed it? Ridiculous incompetence.

If this is the standard which is acceptable at the highest level of the game no wonder there are issues. Of course, we can sit back and accept incompetence or we can call for improvement. I choose to call for improvement, some clearly see no problem with gross incompetence.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Mind you, I am impressed by the patronising tone when he claims things like that the field umpire cannot call the ball out of bounds, let's look at the rules as devised and published by the AFL shall we:

As for the decision, seriously, how complicated can it be when the ball is clearly out of bounds? How many umpires missed it? Ridiculous incompetence.

If this is the standard which is acceptable at the highest level of the game no wonder there are issues. Of course, we can sit back and accept incompetence or we can call for improvement. I choose to call for improvement, some clearly see no problem with gross incompetence.

DS
Too much European sun got to him.

DS
He’s just an umpire sycophant.

DS

I've seen games & played in games where the field umpire has ruled that the ball was oob. Some of those have actually been in AFL games.

Reactions: 1 users
and that's what has to be fixed!!! Why couldn't the boundary umpire call it back? What's with all the screaming and yelling of supporters in the background??? WAKE UP!!

Are you just saying this stuff to try and wind me up or is this what you actually think?

So to get it straight you want the boundary umpire to know he has made a mistake and call it back because the fans are yelling?

I assume you barrack for Collingwood because under that logic they are going to win every game from now until the end of time.

Far too much sense in this post for this thread.

As usual the hysteria and hyperbole from fat blokes on couches is ridiculous.

'How can they possibly miss that, 4 umpires blah blah, professional game, will cost someone a flag one day dribble dribble'.

It's like their tiny little minds are incapable of realising these things happen in real time with one look and mistakes are easy to make. Have a look at the absolute rubbish that gets reviewed in a game of cricket and see how easy it is for people in the moment to see everything correctly.
You saying I am fat ? Interesting

• Haha
Oh really. And where are you pulling that cliched bit of information from?

It’s the bloody AFL - it’s not a World Cup Final watched by more than 5 billion people around the world.

Football is not a complicated game to umpire - unless of course you approve of the morons in AFL House adding, subtracting rules of the game and complicating the officiating of the game every year. Adding extra umpires that add another level of confusion.

Clearly you are an AFL apologist or a Geelong supporter :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, they only have to have the fitness and athleticism to run 10-15 km and position themselves around a huge field, with 44 players on it, and make decisions on a 360 degree game with a large set of complicated rules containing many points of interpretation.

If you don't think it is amongst the hardest games to umpire you don't know sport.

Are you just saying this stuff to try and wind me up or is this what you actually think?

So to get it straight you want the boundary umpire to know he has made a mistake and call it back because the fans are yelling?

I assume you barrack for Collingwood because under that logic they are going to win every game from now until the end of time.
I'm trying to understand this logic.

A clear error is made. 2 field umpires + 2 boundary umpires there to see it. Collingwood players disputing it. Discuss. Fix it. If Geelong won last night, this would be a massive issue in the media.
1691827812240.png

Reactions: 2 users

Can always rely on old David Dunning-Kruger to arrive on cue.

Yes, DDK, the umpires officiate the match in line with the rules and if you read the next paragraph, the rules say:

1. Unless otherwise determined by the relevant Controlling Body, the duties
    of a boundary Umpire shall include without limitation:
    1. (i) judging whether a football is Out of Bounds or Out of Bounds On the Full and signalling to the field Umpire when that has occurred;

So no, a field umpire can't call it out of bounds, it is the boundary umpires job, without limitation.