Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I thought under the stand rule players couldn’t “.swap” over on the mark - the guy who was first there had to man the mark. Has that changed? It must have because swapping over happens all the time. Or is it the umps simply don’t worry about it now?

No two umps adjudicate 'stand', protected area, dissent , insufficient, unrealistic, not 15, or blocking the same.

(theres only really one new rule with any consistency: 666 and thats because the umps all count to 6 the same, when the game isnt in motion)

So the reaction of the AFL?

25%, 50% more umpires; 25%, 50% more variability

Within games.

I have absolutely no doubt the game would be better to play and watch

With one central umpire. Sure they may miss a few frees, but theyde miss them consistently,

And thats all any of us really want?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Yes, been going to QAFL games this year. The difference is pronounced. A couple of WTH? moments a game rather than half a dozen a quarter. And that is not just Tigers games, any AFL game the umpiring is inconsistent, confusing, disappointing and frustrating.

Its quite funny at first, because you're used to watching AFL, you will think, or say, 'YOU MAG....oh he's paid it, and the right way'. Rarely do you think bulldust when the oppo gets a free. Rarely do you think 'which way will this go?'

How do we explain it? Obvious one is game is slower, more think time for umps, only 2 umps helps IMO, less cameras/ viewers/ advertisers, and following that less heat and interference from head office.

Umpiring-wise it feels like footy used to be.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just had a look, amongst the Stand Rule changes in 2023 were -

The AFL has also refined the ‘stand’ rule, whereby players who elect to enter the protected marking zone will not be able to then retreat.

“An opposition player cannot run toward the mark (and enter the protected area) and then elect to change their mind and retreat outside of the protected 5m area,” the AFL said.

“Similarly, an opposition player cannot elect to leave the protected area and then change their intent and choose to come and stand the mark.

These changes are clearly not enforced. They happen all the time, every quarter, every game without penalty.

Get rid of the stand rule.

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone see the bris freo game. Ump yelling and gesticulating at Cameron 4 or 5 times to get on his line, Cameron ignored him, didn't move. Went on for ages. Just say it once, maybe twice, then call play on. Why do the basics have to be hard?

This. The stand rule is a blight on the game.
Watch how often player run right over the mark. Bris did it late against the dockers to slow things down. Players move until the umpires call stand. I actually feel sorry for the umps having to adjudicate such a ridiculous rule.

Anyone see the bris freo game. Ump yelling and gesticulating at Cameron 4 or 5 times to get on his line, Cameron ignored him, didn't move. Went on for ages. Just say it once, maybe twice, then call play on. Why do the basics have to be hard?
Yep, and why do they warn players when 25 seconds is up on a set shot? There's a big clock the players look at all the time. There should be no warning. After 30 seconds just call play on if the player hasn't started their shot.

Reactions: 2 users
My current pet peeve is the opposition grabbing a player who has had a mark stopping them from quickly running back to take a kick. If the AFL really want to speed up the game, this should be outlawed, or rather better policed.

Reactions: 7 users
Watch how often player run right over the mark. Bris did it late against the dockers to slow things down. Players move until the umpires call stand. I actually feel sorry for the umps having to adjudicate such a ridiculous rule.
Me too. They're all over the shop, and I struggle to see how it could be any other way. Used to be so simple, there's the mark, there's the line.

Yes, the old run a metre or 3 over the mark so the ump has to call you back has made a comeback. Its just a bloody ridiculous rule, and the idiots who introduced it, then introduced all the patch-ups, will lose face if they can it.

Reactions: 3 users
Get rid of the stand rule.
I was at the game on Friday night so the details might be clearer to those watching on tv. I think it was in the 2nd quarter around half back. A dogs player either marks or has a free. Cumberland is on the mark. The dogs player moves sideways off the mark. Cumberland looks at the umpire. Dogs player keeps moving sideways and forward. Cumberland is waving his arms pleading with the umpire to call play on. Dogs player is basically past Cumberland before play on is called. Cumberland is abusing the umpire with a what the *smile* was that, why wasn’t that play on when he moved off his line motion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I was at the game on Friday night so the details might be clearer to those watching on tv. I think it was in the 2nd quarter around half back. A dogs player either marks or has a free. Cumberland is on the mark. The dogs player moves sideways off the mark. Cumberland looks at the umpire. Dogs player keeps moving sideways and forward. Cumberland is waving his arms pleading with the umpire to call play on. Dogs player is basi past Cumberland before play on is called. Cumberland is abusing the umpire with a what the *smile* was that, why wasn’t that play on when he moved off his line motion.
yeah thats not uncommon. its crap.

Reactions: 1 users
They can’t even recall a centre bounce that goes 2m over the back of Soldo’s head and outside the circle by a mile (Melbourne) so how/why would they bother to call “play on”when an opposition player has run a mile off their line ?

The only time they call “play on” is when we get an opposition player HTB.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
In asking Richardson for an explanation for all the aerial frees that were paid to Geelong on Saturday night, it was revealed that one of the 4 umpires paid a total of 15 frees out of the 31 to Geelong on the night.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
In asking Richardson for an explanation for all the aerial frees that were paid to Geelong on Saturday night, it was revealed that one of the 4 umpires paid a total of 15 frees out of the 31 to Geelong on the night.
Umpire Hosking who wears #16 gave 15 frees to the Pussies
AFL should consider sacking him never to umpire again

I was at the game on Friday night so the details might be clearer to those watching on tv. I think it was in the 2nd quarter around half back. A dogs player either marks or has a free. Cumberland is on the mark. The dogs player moves sideways off the mark. Cumberland looks at the umpire. Dogs player keeps moving sideways and forward. Cumberland is waving his arms pleading with the umpire to call play on. Dogs player is basi past Cumberland before play on is called. Cumberland is abusing the umpire with a what the *smile* was that, why wasn’t that play on when he moved off his line motion.
Just another sample of maggotry in action.

The ump was hoping Cumbo would move so he could ping him 50 metres.

• Haha

Happens all the time, then a minute later a player walking straight along their line gets called to play on, then a player moves because their opponent who has the ball is already past them and gets 50 paid. It is a monumental mess.

But let's do a bit of a comparison. There was that Vlastuin one a week or two ago where he maybe went a couple of millimetres off his line walking back to take the kick and was called play on. How is that consistent with the Cumberland example above? The answer, of course, is that it is massively inconsistent.

They wonder why everyone is frustrated?

F**ckwits.

DS

Happens all the time, then a minute later a player walking straight along their line gets called to play on, then a player moves because their opponent who has the ball is already past them and gets 50 paid. It is a monumental mess.

But let's do a bit of a comparison. There was that Vlastuin one a week or two ago where he maybe went a couple of millimetres off his line walking back to take the kick and was called play on. How is that consistent with the Cumberland example above? The answer, of course, is that it is massively inconsistent.

They wonder why everyone is frustrated?

F**ckwits.

DS

As frustrating is that both interpretations seem to be considered correct by commentary teams. Emperors’ new clothes gets a weekly run.