Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Just popping in to check the umpire's have maintained their usual stellar performance while I've been away.

Nice to see they have been excellent, as usual. Carry on.
Yep, their usual stellar *smile* performance
Excellent servants of the afl, not the game.
They can gfa goat. Send them to Tasmania

Just popping in to check the umpire's have maintained their usual stellar performance while I've been away.

Nice to see they have been excellent, as usual. Carry on.
If they were their usual stellar selves, then why would they need to have a crackdown on the stand rule?
If it’s been performed superbly, then why have a crackdown on anything?
Wouldn’t it be business as usual?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Catters tonight 31 Frees against Porters 19. Must fit the umps with night vision goggles when at Kardinyia.

Reactions: 1 user
Watched a qafl game live today - didnt notice the umps; an enjoyable good game of footy,

Then i watched cats port and gws swans

And both were a showcase of umpiring inconsistency

I didnt enjoy watching either AFL game; umpiring inconsistency loomed too large in the foreground.

The contrast was stark.

Footy is fine; The AFL is a *smile* shitshow

Reactions: 10 users
Watched a qafl game live today - didnt notice the umps; an enjoyable good game of footy,

I didnt enjoy watching either AFL game; umpiring inconsistency loomed too large in the foreground.

The contrast was stark.

So, are the rules different in lower leagues, or are the umpires at AFL level trained to adjudicate rules differently?

So, are the rules different in lower leagues, or are the umpires at AFL level trained to adjudicate rules differently?

The rules are essentially the same,

The umps seem to use discretion and keep it simple.

I reckon 90% of what ill call old school obvious infringements, in the back, too high, holding the man, dropping the ball,

Get paid - broadly speaking they pay the ones the crowd sees.

They also mostly dont pay tiggy touchy or technical decisions or subjective decisions.

Im talking about QAFL - nationally 3rd div i spose.

The crowds always seem well behaved and happy: i dont see much frustration or abuse.

You dont really notice the umps much, you watch flowing footy.

It wouldnt be that hard to reform AFL first div umpiring:

1. Take mikes off the umps
2. Remove or simplify subjective rules
3. Train umps to umpire like theres 10 mins left in a grandfinal, that is, obvious infringement, pay a free, otherwise, let the game go
4. Drill umpires thoroughly in the basic interpretations, how far is 15m for example? Space cones 12 and 18m apart at training and if the umps dont get it right 9/10, they dont umpire. Gryan miers kicks go under 15m, 50% of the time. Blokes kicking in regularly run 30m without a bounce; these are the basics that cause major frustration, get em right, lower frustration,

And let us enjoy 1st division footy again,

Please?

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
The rules are essentially the same,

The umps seem to use discretion and keep it simple.

I reckon 90% of what ill call old school obvious infringements, in the back, too high, holding the man, dropping the ball,

Get paid - broadly speaking they pay the ones the crowd sees.

They also mostly dont pay tiggy touchy or technical decisions or subjective decisions.

Im talking about QAFL - nationally 3rd div i spose.

The crowds always seem well behaved and happy: i dont see much frustration or abuse.

You dont really notice the umps much, you watch flowing footy.

It wouldnt be that hard to reform AFL first div umpiring:

1. Take mikes off the umps
2. Remove or simplify subjective rules
3. Train umps to umpire like theres 10 mins left in a grandfinal, that is, obvious infringement, pay a free, otherwise, let the game go
4. Drill umpires thoroughly in the basic interpretations, how far is 15m for example? Space cones 12 and 18m apart at training and if the umps dont get it right 9/10, they dont umpire. Gryan miers kicks go under 15m, 50% of the time. Blokes kicking in regularly run 30m without a bounce; these are the basics that cause major frustration, get em right, lower frustration,

And let us enjoy 1st division footy again,

Please?
OK all of these are good ideas, but Im sorry we have to dedicate all our resources to planning the next theme round

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
When is umpire appreciation round again?

Consistency or Transparency Round would be a big hit.

All games umpired, and all ARC reveiws, the same way, in all quarters

MRP extrapolates and explains decisions.

And umpires, ARC and MRP explain decisions in a public forum, even taking questions!!!

All games are played 2pm Saturday Arvo, while Gil is put in stocks in federation square for an afternoon and they hand out rotten eggs and tomatoes from the back of a semi

And play the match of the day on the big screen

Reactions: 1 users
Consistency or Transparency Round would be a big hit.

All games umpired, and all ARC reviews, the same way, in all quarters

MRP extrapolates and explains decisions.

And umpires, ARC and MRP explain decisions in a public forum, even taking questions!!!

All games are played 2pm Saturday Arvo, while Gil is put in stocks in federation square for an afternoon and they hand out rotten eggs and tomatoes from the back of a semi

And play the match of the day on the big screen
:mhihi good thoughts eZy, just call it Flog Round. They also have to give a 3 minute FIGJAM speech explaining how good they are.

Reactions: 1 users

The contrast was stark.

The problem is the umpires egos make them think the game is all about them and not allowing the game to flow. On those rare occasions when the umpires keep the whistle in their pockets , the game is still a joy to watch

Reactions: 5 users
I thought under the stand rule players couldn’t “.swap” over on the mark - the guy who was first there had to man the mark. Has that changed? It must have because swapping over happens all the time. Or is it the umps simply don’t worry about it now?

Reactions: 1 user