Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Tin foil hat these stricter interpretations always happen when we are the first game of the week.

Look out bolton.

Reactions: 1 user
Need to make sure we are ready for the inevitable tonight.

In the last 6 Marvel/Dockland/Dump meetings we are yet to win a free kick count against the throwdogs - 89 FF and 123 FA

Roughly 6 frees a game less than the opposition

If watching at home, don't have anything breakable within arms length. Make sure your kids wear ear protection. Put the dog outside for the duration. Perhaps take a mild sedative 2 hours before the game.

If at the ground, feel free to boo the umpires onto the ground and again as they leave the ground at half-time. If you have any vocal strength left boo them again as they re-enter the field at the start of the 3rd qtr. At the end of the game, if you cannot make a sound refer to the below link for instructions

https://www.signasl.org/sign/scum-bag

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Poor old maggots got so many different rules and interpretations to manage that they simply can't remember them all without carrying a tablet all game. Obviously when they start to forget an entire rule for a game or three, then HQ has to do a bit of reinforcement mentoring to remind them of the important rules they've been missing. Which will obviously require the maggots to over focus on the rules they've just been mentored about to the detriment of some of the other rules they're also supposed to try n remember on a weekly basis. So in a couple of weeks time there'll be another focus group around the next batch of forgotten rules, resulting in another round of ever decreasing circles of incompetence until hopefully someone ( razor perhaps ) disappears up his own *smile* and brings raptures of mirth and joy to the Richmond faithful.

Wish they would remember Holding the Man, they haven't remembered that one for decades.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
There's a rule "book", right?
Every umpire employed by the AFL is required to know and understand these rules in order to be certified, right?
So why is it that a certified umpire needs to "crack down" on any one of those rules?

Herein lies the problem with the Australian Football League. The AFL allows umpires to adjudicate on feel, bias, subjectivity, "common sense" (LOL), and emotion. There is no need for a "crack down" if they just enforce the rules of the game. If a rule as written is breached then pay the damn free kick.

IMO "crack down" is interpreted as umpires are :poop: but we can't publicly give them a serve. Which proves my constant argument that inconsistency and ineptitude are key qualities of the AFLUA and the AFL know it.

Reactions: 8 users
Need to make sure we are ready for the inevitable tonight.

In the last 6 Marvel/Dockland/Dump meetings we are yet to win a free kick count against the throwdogs - 89 FF and 123 FA

Roughly 6 frees a game less than the opposition

If watching at home, don't have anything breakable within arms length. Make sure your kids wear ear protection. Put the dog outside for the duration. Perhaps take a mild sedative 2 hours before the game.

If at the ground, feel free to boo the umpires onto the ground and again as they leave the ground at half-time. If you have any vocal strength left boo them again as they re-enter the field at the start of the 3rd qtr. At the end of the game, if you cannot make a sound refer to the below link for instructions

https://www.signasl.org/sign/scum-bag
Watch out for Stephens (12) and one of our regular reamers Nathan Williamson (22).

The Throwdogs over the years have been consistent benefactors of the AFL umpires’ “interpretations”. Tonight will be no different.

Every umpire employed by the AFL is required to know and understand these rules in order to be certified, right?
So why is it that a certified umpire needs to "crack down" on any one of those rules?

Herein lies the problem with the Australian Football League. The AFL allows umpires to adjudicate on feel, bias, subjectivity, "common sense" (LOL), and emotion. There is no need for a "crack down" if they just enforce the rules of the game. If a rule as written is breached then pay the damn free kick.

IMO "crack down" is interpreted as umpires are :poop: but we can't publicly give them a serve. Which proves my constant argument that inconsistency and ineptitude are key qualities of the AFLUA and the AFL know it.

The media don't help. They say things like, "if every free was paid we would have 80 frees each per game - is that too much?". Doesn't matter if its too much, if the infringements are there, pay them. Guess what will happen then, the players will get smarter and won't infringe as much. They currently hold at every stoppage because frankly they get away with it. The odd time they are pulled up, doesn't offset the many times that they aren't. Same as in marking contests, pay it occassionally but still not enough to offset the times you get away with it, hence why players still do it.

Its very simple to me, pay every free you see, there will be a massive spike in frees paid, and then over a relatively short term, you will see those free kicks start to dwindle again as players get smarter and stop infringing.

• Love
Wish they would remember Holding the Man, they haven't remembered that one for decades.

DS
How many of our players, midfielders attempt to gain possession of the ball and are held.. play on…

Don’t get me started at boundary throw ins. Joke.

Watch tonight how much we get pinged 50, ‘protected zone’, umpired differently with the ‘Stand rule ‘ etc.

No wonder fans are frustrated and the poor player’s frustration is obvious.

Just ‘toss a coin’ and call heads or tails as no one really knows what call an umpire will make because it’s open to 4 different‘interpretations’ on the day.

Get ready for the ‘team of throws, The Dogs, to get looked after tonight!

Last edited:
Watch out for Stephens (12) and one of our regular reamers Nathan Williamson (22).

The Throwdogs over the years have been consistent benefactors of the AFL umpires’ “interpretations”. Tonight will be no different.
Not just us apparently. I like this from a blues supporter

Rosebury breaks the all-time games record tonight. Can only hope he gets remembered for not being noticed at all. I think he is, in general, an adequate ump?

Williamson has that permanent *smile*-eating grin and Andrew Stephens always looks constipated. Can't say I have noticed Gavine much.

Would love to see Libba & Treloar penalised for throwing. Think I've got a better chance of seeing Elvis at the local F&C shop.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Rosebury breaks the all-time games record tonight. Can only hope he gets remembered for not being noticed at all. I think he is in general an adequate ump?

Williamson has that permanent *smile*-eating grin and Andrew Stephens always looks constipated. Can't say I have noticed Gavine much.

Would love to see Libba & Treloar penalised for throwing. Think I've got a better chance of seeing Elvis at the local F&C shop.
Rosebury to my mind, has been one of the better umpires overall throughout his career. He’s gone backwards a bit the last 2-3 years but prior to that he was easily the best umpire in the AFL.

He’ll probably burn us tonight now I’ve said that.

As for Williamson, he’s just a biased and *smile* umpire.

The media don't help. They say things like, "if every free was paid we would have 80 frees each per game - is that too much?". Doesn't matter if its too much, if the infringements are there, pay them. Guess what will happen then, the players will get smarter and won't infringe as much. They currently hold at every stoppage because frankly they get away with it. The odd time they are pulled up, doesn't offset the many times that they aren't. Same as in marking contests, pay it occassionally but still not enough to offset the times you get away with it, hence why players still do it.

Its very simple to me, pay every free you see, there will be a massive spike in frees paid, and then over a relatively short term, you will see those free kicks start to dwindle again as players get smarter and stop infringing.

So true.

Plus, if they pay all the infringements and find there is a problem, change the rules. Stop being dishonest, grow a bloody backbone, and be transparent about what is and is not to be penalised by the awarding of a free kick. It really isn't that hard, many years ago they did a much better job of adjudicating the rules. If a rule is badly written or open to too much interpretation, then fix it.

What we see now is an absolute mess.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Unfortunately most of the rules come down to interpretation so there's space for this f%$kery. Crackdown means they may recalibrate the interpretation for the first game and then back it off during the round when there is uproar. I can't believe I have so much hate for something I hold so dear to me (AFL).

Just popping in to check the umpire's have maintained their usual stellar performance while I've been away.

Nice to see they have been excellent, as usual. Carry on.

• Haha

DS
Been so long since I saw that one, I thought maybe they'd cancelled it completely. Think that's now just covered by another of those magical interpretation rules called prior opportunity. Like I mean some of those numpty players need thirty seconds to find the perfect disposal opportunity before we can consider penalising them.

Give the man a Kewpie doll, he's hit the bulls eye dead centre.