Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

We have some of the worst free kick differential players in the comp in nankervis Pickett and Bolton. When they don’t play the stats even up.
Pickett has played all his games since 2020 bar GF
So for 2017-19 it’s all about Bolton and Nank, and since then Pickett, Bolton and Nank?
Have you researched your last sentence?

3 points down at 3/4 time

4th quarter Dees get 8 unanswered frees, 4 go i50.

Richmond register 1 free in the 4th quarter, in the middle, with 5 seconds to go, 30 down.

If im giving 3-2-1 votes for melbourne;

3 - dylan grimes
2- green maggots
1- max gawn
8 extra possessions - that's eseentially like an extra quality mid playing for a qtr

It's not the first time we've seen this movie

Reactions: 3 users
8 extra possessions - that's eseentially like an extra quality mid playing for a qtr

It's not the first time we've seen this movie

An extra quality mid who you cant tackle and gets to send half their kicks inside 50

Reactions: 1 user
I am not going to get into the arguments about what is right and wrong about the individual decisions. We have been down that road and inevitably you can find a reason to say 95% of all free kicks are correct and the AFL is very good at that.
That to me isn't the issue and when I have commented about umpires months ago when TBR was part of that discussion my argument was always based on one prime element that every supporter wants and that is consistency.
I am not talking about consistency from season to season because that won't happen, even consistency within a season seems a stretch these days.
The very least we can ask for is consistency in a game. That if an umpiring group is making decisions a certain way at the start they stick to it for the whole game. If you aren't going to pay lying on the ball with the fake punching then don't pay it at all, if you are not going to pay getting tackled when leading with the head as high contact then don't pay it for the whole game ...etc etc.
This is where we fail so often now. I posted after the game yesterday, it was like a new set of umpires came out

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I am not going to get into the arguments about what is right and wrong about the individual decisions. We have been down that road and inevitably you can find a reason to say 95% of all free kicks are correct and the AFL is very good at that.
That to me isn't the issue and when I have commented about umpires months ago when TBR was part of that discussion my argument was always based on one prime element that every supporter wants and that is consistency.
I am not talking about consistency from season to season because that won't happen, even consistency within a season seems a stretch these days.
The very least we can ask for is consistency in a game. That if an umpiring group is making decisions a certain way at the start they stick to it for the whole game. If you aren't going to pay lying on the ball with the fake punching then don't pay it at all, if you are not going to pay getting tackled when leading with the head as high contact then don't pay it for the whole game ...etc etc.
This is where we fail so often now. I posted after the game yesterday, it was like a new set of umpires came out
Let's add pedantry to that.

31 minutes ago
Details

Hi Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and share your concerns regarding recent events involving our players and the inconsistencies in umpiring decisions. We appreciate your loyalty as a proud member of our club, and we understand your frustration.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues. While we empathise with your disappointment, it is important to note that umpiring decisions are ultimately out of our control as a club. The AFL strives to maintain a fair and consistent system, but we acknowledge that mistakes and perceived biases can occur.

We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions. However, it is a complex process, and change takes time. We are actively working behind the scenes to address these issues, but unfortunately, there is not much more we can do in terms of immediate action.

We genuinely appreciate your ongoing support and loyalty as a member of our club. Your passion for the Tigers is important to us, and we want you to know that your voice is heard. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of every match or control external factors, we remain committed to striving for success on and off the field.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We value your feedback and will continue to do our best to represent the interests of our members and supporters.

Thank you once again for your understanding and unwavering support.

Kind Regards,

Jorjia

Richmond Football Club
Jorjia ought to be a politician with that reply

The problem with the AFL is consistency, how many of those frees to Melbourne in the last quarter would of been paid in the last quarter of a GF? Next question do they want to fix it?

Pickett has played all his games since 2020 bar GF
So for 2017-19 it’s all about Bolton and Nank, and since then Pickett, Bolton and Nank?
Have you researched your last sentence?
Look here. You can see we have players that massively give away a lot of frees.

Sort by frees against and compare to frees for and find the Richmond players. And yes Pickett has been suspended and nank injured and it evens up. Martin and flappers and baker also way behind.

Martin does it taking the game on and getting HTBs against. Flappers does it being flappers. Baker methinks is stiff.

Without seeing the stats I’d reckon Marion is doing better this year but his game has also lost an edge.

Look here. You can see we have players that massively give away a lot of frees.

Sort by frees against and compare to frees for and find the Richmond players. And yes Pickett has been suspended and nank injured and it evens up. Martin and flappers and baker also way behind.

Martin does it taking the game on and getting HTBs against. Flappers does it being flappers. Baker methinks is stiff.

Without seeing the stats I’d reckon Marion is doing better this year but his game has also lost an edge.
No probs but I still reckon it's a long bow..!

No probs but I still reckon it's a long bow..!
That's fine - I still feel like we get screwed. But I also know I have a massive case of confirmation bias.

We do have players that give away more frees than average in the way the played.

The ARC is still the mother of them for me. The rules are clear that if it isn't clear it stays with the on-field decision. And somehow that was ruled as clearly going over the post in a second. And then Dimma got taken on a tour and then everything was fine. Maybe he got offered the Gold Coast job on double the shekkels if he stayed mum :cool:

Reactions: 2 users
Broad contributed. He put his arm up to protect himself but in the process stopped Pickett actually taking him around the neck. Ump obvioously interpreted it as such and pinged him. But it could have been a ball up. As the Taranto one could have been.

I'm not singling you out, but the above reveals a very real problem.

You say that Broad prevented Pickett from taking him around the neck.

But the rule does not say you have to take a player around the neck, what the rule actually says is:

makes high contact to an opposition Player (including the top of the shoulders)
with any part of their body;

Pickett did make high contact, it should have been a high contact free to Broad.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
So if this the way it has been for decades - see earlier posts - why isn’t the Essington player pinged for a 50?

Possible excuses:
Unsighted
Common sense
Didn’t have actual possession according to the intent of the law
Didn’t have actual possession according to the umpire’s determination

Real reasons:
We don’t know what we are doing
The rules only apply sometimes, and according to our discretion
We have too many rules to adjudicate we can’t get them all right
We all make mistakes. Besides, no-one we answer to cares. They will always have our back.

WTF?? There's been thousands of occasions where oppo places ball on ground for other team to pick up. Where's the law for obligation to hand over?
Been the rule for a shitload of years. If you've got the ball when a free kick is paid you must return it on the full directly to the receiver of the free.
Cost the Cotchinator a fifty in a final when he gave the ball to Bash when in actual fact the free was going to Arseclenchfield.

Been the rule for a shitload of years. If you've got the ball when a free kick is paid you must return it on the full directly to the receiver of the free.
Cost the Cotchinator a fifty in a final when he gave the ball to Bash when in actual fact the free was going to Arseclenchfield.
My point on this farce is that Hops barely touched the ball for 1 second. If he held it and stood up long enough not giving it to the oppo or then threw it away, then it is a 50m. But, he barely touched it for 1 second as he just heard it was a free against on the spur of the moment.

My point on this farce is that Hops barely touched the ball for 1 second. If he held it and stood up long enough not giving it to the oppo or then threw it away, then it is a 50m. But, he barely touched it for 1 second as he just heard it was a free against on the spur of the moment.
How long he had the ball for is totally irrelevant. The point is that he had the ball in hand and chose to simply let the ball go instead of returning it properly to the recipient of the free. Maggot was watching and there was no surrounding crowd of bodies bustling or bumping around so it was a blatant 50.
Wouldn't surprise me if we topped the ladder for petulant brain fart 50's over the last half dozen years, we're mighty damn good at killing our own momentum while giving oppo sides a boost.

How long he had the ball for is totally irrelevant. The point is that he had the ball in hand and chose to simply let the ball go instead of returning it properly to the recipient of the free. Maggot was watching and there was no surrounding crowd of bodies bustling or bumping around so it was a blatant 50.
Wouldn't surprise me if we topped the ladder for petulant brain fart 50's over the last half dozen years, we're mighty damn good at killing our own momentum while giving oppo sides a boost.
This rule is relevant for 5 year olds to learn their manners.