Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The Hopper 50m penalty was especially disappointing.

Hopper didn't take control away from the player in an attempt to strategically waste time. He was guilty of choosing not to speed things along by assisting - but that's okay. You're allowed to opt out from assisting the opposition player in retrieving the ball.

It was an example of an umpire fixating on a simplified visual cue even when that visual cue was not an example of the deeper problem they were originally trying to solve. Happens all the time. We're seeing an illusion of consistency, and it's a natural consequence of forcing black and white interpretations on rules that were originally grey.

Reactions: 1 users

Hopper didn't take control away from the player in an attempt to strategically waste time. He was guilty of choosing not to speed things along by assisting - but that's okay. You're allowed to opt out from assisting the opposition player in retrieving the ball.

It was an example of an umpire fixating on a simplified visual cue even when that visual cue was not an example of the deeper problem they were originally trying to solve. Happens all the time. We're seeing an illusion of consistency, and it's a natural consequence of forcing black and white interpretations on rules that were originally grey.

Nope he took the all and then realised it was a free to them and dropped it

Youve had to give the ball back to the opposition on the full for 30 years or more

Once he grabbed it he had to give it back to them he cant get away with no knowing it was their kick because he wouldnt have let it go he would have handballed it to our players

Reactions: 1 user

i.e. schizo moment. Happens too often against a team called Richmond. I'd love to hear what these scumbags hear in those earphones.

Nope he took the all and then realised it was a free to them and dropped it

Youve had to give the ball back to the opposition on the full for 30 years or more

Once he grabbed it he had to give it back to them he cant get away with no knowing it was their kick because he wouldnt have let it go he would have handballed it to our players
WTF?? There's been thousands of occasions where oppo places ball on ground for other team to pick up. Where's the law for obligation to hand over?

Reactions: 2 users
WTF?? There's been thousands of occasions where oppo places ball on ground for other team to pick up. Where's the law for obligation to hand over?

You show me one where a player picks up the ball after a free is paid and just puts it on the ground

You show me one where a player picks up the ball after a free is paid and just puts it on the ground
I show you? Go and watch games....including suburban. Where have you been?

This is not a case where Hopper held the ball long enough to pass it over. He only held it for 1 second.

I show you? Go and watch games....including suburban. Where have you been?

This is not a case where Hopper held the ball long enough to pass it over. He only held it for 1 second.

Yeah and he has to give the ball back to the right person on the full not put it on the ground

Do you seriously not realise that has been a rule since the 80s

I dont know what to tell you chief youve been watching with your eyes shut

Reactions: 3 users
It would be great if the 50 was shelved as a ridiculous rule from the past, the game is not better for it even if it goes your way. Bring back the 15.

E
It would be great if the 50 was shelved as a ridiculous rule from the past, the game is not better for it even if it goes your way. Bring back the 15.
Even a 15m penalty can be telling. Remember the 1987 preliminary final?

The frees went from 8-2 our way to 11-9 their way.

I'm not sure how May got away with not giving a 59 to Baker when Baker msrked inside 50. Bauer had clearly marked the ball. Then May ran in and wrapped him up. Luckily Baker kicked the goal anyway.
That's 50 every time. Except when it's not.

(And there should be a rule Hunter can't get frees for too high. Whenever he gets the ball his first instinct is too look to duck into a tackle. )

Yeah and he has to give the ball back to the right person on the full not put it on the ground

This was least of any poor decisions ten others in the last q for eg

If you love pedancy (must be TBR's ghost writer on here or something....) then it's your problem.

Watch from 42secs, he barely touched it for 1 bloody second and the smug flog calling out "50 m, you dropped it" as it was an actual possession.

The most pedantic 50m penalty for an action that had no impact on the game you’ll ever see.
Then Gawn can take a step and kick the ball down the field after the whistles gone, but that’s ok.
Consistency yeah

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
If you love pedancy (must be TBR's ghost writer on here or something....) then it's your problem.

Watch from 42secs, he barely touched it for 1 bloody second and the smug flog calling out "50 m, you dropped it" as it was an actual possession.

You dont need to be Rich to tell you that is as obvious a 50 as can be

It was just a dumb brain fade plain and simple

Theres plenty of actual *smile* decisions to pick from trying to make this into one just kills credibility

I think we got worn down by the umps a bit, but geez we were fumbling and bumbling in too many crucial moments. Thats why we ultimately lost.

The most pedantic 50m penalty for an action that had no impact on the game you’ll ever see.
Then Gawn can take a step and kick the ball down the field after the whistles gone, but that’s ok.
Consistency yeah

90 per cent of 50s are pedantic and have stuff all impact on the game not an excuse for players doing dumb things though

Didnt stand there, do this fast enough, said something wrong, pointed somewhere and so on

90 per cent of 50s are pedantic and have stuff all impact on the game not an excuse for players doing dumb things though

Didnt stand there, do this fast enough, said something wrong, pointed somewhere and so on
Stuff all impact on the game.....bloody hell.