Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Every time we got on a roll they pulled a free kick or 50m out of nowhere and stifled our momentum. 1 free kick after half time also explains a fair bit on how they can influence an outcome.

Reactions: 11 users
Centre bounce *smile* up favouring Gawn... PLAY ON! (Two goals)

Centre bounce *smile* up favouring Soldo.... Recalled. Throw it up.

Every *smile* rule can be twisted to disadvantage a team (Richmond)

Reactions: 5 users
Centre bounce *smile* up favouring Gawn... PLAY ON! (Two goals)

Centre bounce *smile* up favouring Soldo.... Recalled. Throw it up.

Every *smile* rule can be twisted to disadvantage a team (Richmond)
The centre bounce work today was the worst I’ve ever seen, and the umpire hardly ever called it back. I think both coaches should have gone to him at half time and said ‘Mate, if you can’t bounce it properly, just throw the bloody thing up.’

Reactions: 1 users
The Hopper 50m penalty was especially disappointing.

Hopper didn't take control away from the player in an attempt to strategically waste time. He was guilty of choosing not to speed things along by assisting - but that's okay. You're allowed to opt out from assisting the opposition player in retrieving the ball.

It was an example of an umpire fixating on a simplified visual cue even when that visual cue was not an example of the deeper problem they were originally trying to solve. Happens all the time. We're seeing an illusion of consistency, and it's a natural consequence of forcing black and white interpretations on rules that were originally grey.
Wrong. He had the ball when the decision was made. He knew they had won the free. He dropped it. Any player that does that is penalised. Watch the replay. It was correct. Hopper knew it. Blame Hopper not the ump.

Reactions: 3 users
I show you? Go and watch games....including suburban. Where have you been?

This is not a case where Hopper held the ball long enough to pass it over. He only held it for 1 second.
And dropped it when he knew they had the free. Otherwise why would he put it down? Dumb dumb dumb by hopper. Like the Balta bump. Dumb. Why give the maggots the opportunity to be involved?

Reactions: 2 users
The centre bounce work today was the worst I’ve ever seen, and the umpire hardly ever called it back. I think both coaches should have gone to him at half time and said ‘Mate, if you can’t bounce it properly, just throw the bloody thing up.’
This is the highest standard of umpiring we've got in this country.

Think about that, and then scroll twitter or any teams footy forum and read what actual supporters think about the standard of umpiring in the AFL.

The game is in real trouble

And dropped it when he knew they had the free. Otherwise why would he put it down? Dumb dumb dumb by hopper. Like the Balta bump. Dumb. Why give the maggots the opportunity to be involved?
OK, just get a silver plate, place the ball on there, wear a tuxedo and hand the ball over to the oppo with their players just watching.

Wrong. He had the ball when the decision was made. He knew they had won the free. He dropped it. Any player that does that is penalised. Watch the replay. It was correct. Hopper knew it. Blame Hopper not the ump.
No. Disagree. Am watching week after week players hold the ball and not return it to the player infringed etc. Oppo players playing on “knowing” full well the only reason the whistle was blown is because their teammate gave the free away. And not an *smile* thing. It has infuriated me for yonks. When I played (a long time ago) what Hopper did was a potential 15 metre penalty for being the last player to touch the ball and not return it to the player getting the free. I have not seen a free like this one paid for a decade. So. No. Disagree strongly. Because I have not seen one like it for so long.

Balta May as well have written big maxy a nice card that said have a lie down here and take 50

Bumping a bloke who has his back to the play and is just jogging along is only going to end in a waste of energy or a 50

I hope our next coach is a little prick like Josh Carr who will teach them to stand there and let maxy put the bump on so we can fall down and get the kick reversed

No. Disagree. Am watching week after week players hold the ball and not return it to the player infringed etc. Oppo players playing on “knowing” full well the only reason the whistle was blown is because their teammate gave the free away. And not an *smile* thing. It has infuriated me for yonks. When I played (a long time ago) what Hopper did was a potential 15 metre penalty for being the last player to touch the ball and not return it to the player getting the free. I have not seen a free like this one paid for a decade. So. No. Disagree strongly. Because I have not seen one like it for so long.
Yep. If Hopper stood up and took long to hand over, OK 50 against. But he touched it on the spur of the moment the flog called it. It seemed so set up.

Reactions: 1 user
We all seem to continually complain about umpire bias but would like someone with a lot more knowledge of the game and rules than me to explain how the umpires managed to make the decision on the Broad high tackle and holding the ball.
TBR, are you out there and able to help my and others understanding?

plenty of examples of players putting it on the ground and getting penalised. Blame hopper. He was the idiot.

It would be great if the 50 was shelved as a ridiculous rule from the past, the game is not better for it even if it goes your way. Bring back the 15.
Correct. 50m penalties usually punish technical breaches … unfortunately they usually result in a goal. The AFL needs to limit the influence officiating has on the game (at least that is what a reasonable view would be) - perhaps they don’t want this? Perhaps they want to turn our game into akin to rock n roll wrestling - a completely choreographed nonsense.

Not sure which decision was worse in that same goal square debacle.

1) the Broad high tackle not paid OR
2) called for HTB when clearly no prior, no dive, and clearly didnt try and take them on

Both are as worse decisions (or non decisions) as you will ever see and I could not believe those wanker commentators were even justifying it. This is where we need Sam Newman making special comments to call these *smile* out. In what universe is this HTB? Ball up every day of the week, if u ignore the blatant high tackle.

People that think umpires dont decide a game are kidding themselves. The game was in the balance and this clearly turned the game. Gutless commentators and media will of course say nothing. Grow a backbone RFC and call out this blatant bias.

Correct. 50m penalties usually punish technical breaches … unfortunately they usually result in a goal. The AFL needs to limit the influence officiating has on the game (at least that is what a reasonable view would be) - perhaps they don’t want this? Perhaps they want to turn our game into akin to rock n roll wrestling - a completely choreographed nonsense.

I'd like to see it pulled back to a 25m penalty, way too big a penalty for technical breaches at the moment.

DS

2) called for HTB when clearly no prior, no dive, and clearly didnt try and take them on

Both are as worse decisions (or non decisions) as you will ever see and I could not believe those wanker commentators were even justifying it. This is where we need Sam Newman making special comments to call these *smile* out. In what universe is this HTB? Ball up every day of the week, if u ignore the blatant high tackle.

People that think umpires dont decide a game are kidding themselves. The game was in the balance and this clearly turned the game. Gutless commentators and media will of course say nothing. Grow a backbone RFC and call out this blatant bias.

Yep, and repeating the relevant rules here won't change anything, it was a howler, there is no other way to explain it. As you say, if the umps want to ignore Broad getting his head ripped off in clear contravention of the rules, then they still have to explain how he had prior opportunity.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Just saw the 50m penalty against Hopper. I am lost for words. We really are umpired completely differently.

Unfortunately calling out any perceived bias, even if you have some examples, will only make it worse the next time we play.

Reactions: 1 user