Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Do we need a supporter led petition to the club to make a stand (pun intended) on the umpiring against Richmond.
It can be backed up with stats (free kick tables)

I think the club owes it to its supporters to at least let the AFL know what it thinks - polite enquiries (if they have happened) will not suffice!

Let the club get fined, and let us all hear how scrupulously fair the AFL is BUT it might say to the AFL - we know what you have been doing and we are onto you!

Reactions: 3 users
Do we need a supporter led petition to the club to make a stand (pun intended) on the umpiring against Richmond.
It can be backed up with stats (free kick tables)

I think the club owes it to its supporters to at least let the AFL know what it thinks - polite enquiries (if they have happened) will not suffice!

Let the club get fined, and let us all hear how scrupulously fair the AFL is BUT it might say to the AFL - we know what you have been doing and we are onto you!
Yep. And the afl will turn around and say we know you know and everyone else knows and we don’t care. We are the afl and we can do whatever the *smile* we want and there’s no one that can stop us

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
We all seem to continually complain about umpire bias but would like someone with a lot more knowledge of the game and rules than me to explain how the umpires managed to make the decision on the Broad high tackle and holding the ball.
TBR, are you out there and able to help my and others understanding?
The commentators said that Broad raised his arm slightly to ward off the tackle, and that’s deemed prior opportunity, however they also agreed that the tackle was high and should have been paid to Broad as high contact, but apparently not one of the FOUR umpires could see that.

Reactions: 1 user
The commentators said that Broad raised his arm slightly to ward off the tackle, and that’s deemed prior opportunity, however they also agreed that the tackle was high and should have been paid to Broad as high contact, but apparently not one of the FOUR umpires could see that.
There's a reason Broady could have got the free, are a few reasons to ball it up, which they had been doing mostly on the night, but the went with the reason to give the free to melbourne, in the square, to kill off the game.

Umps were'nt the reason we lost, but geez they make it hard.

I am still seething at the umpiring. It’s was as obvious as the day is long that someone spoke to the umps at halftime and we were crucified in the 2nd half. Cheating pricks.

It was pretty obvious that from the time we got off to a flyer at the start of the 3rd quarter, that the umpires decided they had to step in, the cheating ***.

That few minutes where Taranto and Hopper got pinged for HTB with ZERO opportunity, only for Max Gawn to take the ball out of the ruck from a boundary throw in, get tackled, and simply drop it with no attempt and the umpires just call, as usual, "play on", typifies the outright bias they have towards us.

The Broad incident ? FFS. You can't be serious. If that's an opposition player its a free kick to them 10 out of 10 times. Not only doesn't Broad get a free, but he's actually pinged because he's in front of goal and its a great opportunity to really rub it into us.

I'm tired of the club just copping this week after week, year after year. Time to give it to Dan Richardson with both barrels, the salty ex-employee that he is.

Reactions: 9 users
We lost the game because our forward line is not working (hasnt worked all year without lynch and void of good small forwards ) and our usually pretty good back line got beaten.
That said - WTAF is going on with the umpiring. Jack just gets blatantly pushed in the back out of marking contests, our tackles are almost never rewarded, head high frees are completely inconsistent against us, 50m penalties almost only get paid against us. 1 free kick in the second half for us (not the 1st time) - that has to be a directive given to the umpires and interference / corruption by the AFL - 6 years worth now of the exact same bias. We are deliberately umpired differently. No wonder why we are just utterly frustrated and tired of going and watching this crap. Our club appears to do Sweet FA which is also frustrating. Just hard to take at present.

They add a extra umpire guess what it's even worse 4 umpires not on the same page for interpretations this is a corrupt organisation. That can't be right 1 free in the second half bewildering.

We lost the game because our forward line is not working (hasnt worked all year without lynch and void of good small forwards ) and our usually pretty good back line got beaten.
That said - WTAF is going on with the umpiring. Jack just gets blatantly pushed in the back out of marking contests, our tackles are almost never rewarded, head high frees are completely inconsistent against us, 50m penalties almost only get paid against us. 1 free kick in the second half for us (not the 1st time) - that has to be a directive given to the umpires and interference / corruption by the AFL - 6 years worth now of the exact same bias. We are deliberately umpired differently. No wonder why we are just utterly frustrated and tired of going and watching this crap. Our club appears to do Sweet FA which is also frustrating. Just hard to take at present.
Have you sent your comments to the club Brian?
I have sent more than one about umpiring bias against us, including stats, and have never had a reply.
Probably a waste of time and effort

We lost because Grimes, Balta and Vlaustin had season worst games and in Grimes case a career worst game. The umpires didn’t help though. Without this influence we would have likely put them out of the game in the 3rd qtr

Reactions: 2 users
It used to be three blind mice now it is four. They have their little dahlings eg Kickett high late tackle on Mansell every one sees including biased commentators yet no down field.

Yep, and repeating the relevant rules here won't change anything, it was a howler, there is no other way to explain it. As you say, if the umps want to ignore Broad getting his head ripped off in clear contravention of the rules, then they still have to explain how he had prior opportunity.

DS
Broad contributed. He put his arm up to protect himself but in the process stopped Pickett actually taking him around the neck. Ump obvioously interpreted it as such and pinged him. But it could have been a ball up. As the Taranto one could have been.

I think the Dees only got 3 frees in the first half. So they were probably compl;aining about the umps on their threads. Melksham could have got a free when Young spoiled him high. There was another one I thought we got away with.

I think the Hopper & Balta 50's were there. I blame our players for those, giving the umps the chance to get involved.

But on balance we seem to get the raw end of the deal most games. They got the Taranto and Broad ones that on another day are not paid.

There's a reason Broady could have got the free, are a few reasons to ball it up, which they had been doing mostly on the night, but the went with the reason to give the free to melbourne, in the square, to kill off the game.

Umps were'nt the reason we lost, but geez they make it hard.
Agree. The Broad one could have went any of 3 ways. The taranto one could have been a ball up. Rioli could have got paid a free when maybe held. All 3 resulted in Dees goals. We seem to be on the wrong end more than on the right end in these situations. It's rare to leave a game saying what a great run we had with the umps.

As an aside, poor Liam Baker may be the harshest umpired player in the AFL. he cannot get a free and they ping him every chance they get. I wonder if it's jealousy - that these midget umpires have towards him. He's smaller than them but excelling at AFL. Whatever it is the club needs to go into bat for him. They could easily provide more than a dozen examples this season where is crucified by those pricks.

Reactions: 4 users
Umps go by rule #1 Look for anyway to pay free to the opposition when playing RFC If there’s doubt call for a ball up
After youve paid 5 frees to opposition and a 50 Now it’s time to give 1 to tigers

We've had two significant problems at AFL House for a number of years. One was Hocking - who is gone now thankfully - but the other still remains. Dan Richardson.

Besides being a pretty average operator in club land (sacked by 2 AFL clubs), he's just as bad as Head of Umpiring. Wouldn't be a bit of sour grapes either after being punted by Richmond......? What chance ? I'm betting it's highly possible given what I heard in the lead up to his departure.

Forget about talking to him and any of the others at the AFL about how we are umpired. Go straight to Dillon and start petitioning for his removal. Reckon we could get 2 or 3 other clubs to join us. Geez...even a number of normally sycophantic media commentators have passed comment this year on how bad the standard of umpiring has been e.g. Gary Lyon, Cornes etc.

Lets put the heat under Richardson's feet and just see what we start to get. Heh heh heh...probably get worse but who cares. Whatever, its time for us to start applying the blow torch to this debilitating issue and stop playing nicies coz that just simply isn't working. Like most disingenuous bullies that are in a position of power, the more we play the game with them, the more they think they can get away with things. Time to plant a flag in the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I have sent more than one about umpiring bias against us, including stats, and have never had a reply.
31 minutes ago
Details

Hi Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and share your concerns regarding recent events involving our players and the inconsistencies in umpiring decisions. We appreciate your loyalty as a proud member of our club, and we understand your frustration.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues. While we empathise with your disappointment, it is important to note that umpiring decisions are ultimately out of our control as a club. The AFL strives to maintain a fair and consistent system, but we acknowledge that mistakes and perceived biases can occur.

We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions. However, it is a complex process, and change takes time. We are actively working behind the scenes to address these issues, but unfortunately, there is not much more we can do in terms of immediate action.

We genuinely appreciate your ongoing support and loyalty as a member of our club. Your passion for the Tigers is important to us, and we want you to know that your voice is heard. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of every match or control external factors, we remain committed to striving for success on and off the field.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We value your feedback and will continue to do our best to represent the interests of our members and supporters.

Thank you once again for your understanding and unwavering support.

Kind Regards,

Jorjia

Richmond Football Club

Reactions: 11 users
plenty of examples of players putting it on the ground and getting penalised. Blame hopper. He was the idiot.

Yep, I must agree, if it was the other way around I would've expected a 50 metre paid to us. Same with Balta's. Silly by both players.

They were technical but correct. Mini should absolutely berate both players for their stupidity.

31 minutes ago
Details

Hi Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and share your concerns regarding recent events involving our players and the inconsistencies in umpiring decisions. We appreciate your loyalty as a proud member of our club, and we understand your frustration.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues. While we empathise with your disappointment, it is important to note that umpiring decisions are ultimately out of our control as a club. The AFL strives to maintain a fair and consistent system, but we acknowledge that mistakes and perceived biases can occur.

We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions. However, it is a complex process, and change takes time. We are actively working behind the scenes to address these issues, but unfortunately, there is not much more we can do in terms of immediate action.

We genuinely appreciate your ongoing support and loyalty as a member of our club. Your passion for the Tigers is important to us, and we want you to know that your voice is heard. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of every match or control external factors, we remain committed to striving for success on and off the field.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We value your feedback and will continue to do our best to represent the interests of our members and supporters.

Thank you once again for your understanding and unwavering support.

Kind Regards,

Jorjia

Richmond Football Club
Well done Brian.

If you read it carefully, you can determine that the club has the very same frustration, anger etc that the supporters have.

"We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues."

"We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions."

Reactions: 2 users
Well done Brian.

If you read it carefully, you can determine that the club has the very same frustration, anger etc that the supporters have.

"We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues."

"We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions."
Have they really though?

If they have, privately, we’ll to the naked eye, waiting’s eye test, things are not on the improve.

Interpretations are so outrageous and inconsistent towards our players.

You can see it now clearly in some of those frustrations boiling out to them.

No need for me to name them, but quite a few players are unsure of themselves.

A bit wrong here about no replies from the club.
On a different topic, I did send a copy of an article by Steve Price re the Voice to the club.
I got this response. This is not open for discussion on the thread, one way or the other. just clarifying what I said in the earlier post.

Thank you for taking the time to email in and provide your feedback.

As per our message, we respect everyone’s right to form their own view on a Voice to Parliament.

Our Club’s view - based on more than a decade of working alongside Indigenous players and the community more broadly - is that the Voice to Parliament will have a positive impact.

Kind Regards,

Jorjia

Richmond Football Club
T: 1300 742 466
Richmond Football Club, Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval, Richmond VIC 3121
Members receive 10% off at the Roar Store!