Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The scribes just will not leave Dusty alone.
A Port player gets a stupid MRO sanction and somehow Dusty gets pilloried for getting a fine.
Rioli should not even get fined for a slap to the face, but according to the "scribe" Dusty was lucky to just get a fine for an elbow to the sternum.
Imagine how many players would have been suspended back in the 50's or 60's?

Pickett v Rioli? Both two weeks? You’ve got to be kidding.

And Martin’s deliberate elbow was considered less aggressive because he landed it on Witherden’s sternum.

He was fined $5000 and could take $3000 with an early plea.

When you’re on $1.2 million, $3000 is what you pay the MCG attendant a tip for looking after your car for the three months.

Port Adelaide on Monday confirmed it will appeal the Rioli outcome. It has to. The punishment is terribly excessive.

The open-hand swipe — which clearly shocked Murphy and sent him sprawling to the ground — was assessed by the MRO as being intentional, medium contact and high contact.

Pickett’s hit — when he jumped off the ground and crashed into Smith — was assessed as careless, high impact and high contact.

We all know what was worse and what had more capacity to cause injury.

They simply can’t be dealt the same penalty.

Reactions: 4 users
This has to be raised, but the flogs just keep repeating

These last 2 were bad. A Hawthorn player came way over the mark quite some time after Pickett marked it, no 50m! It was chaos, players running everywhere. The the Vlastuin one, maybe he moved off his line half a step, I'm skeptical he did, but even if he did, it happens all the time and is ignored, but suddenly it is called play-on at a time and place that could decide the game? It seemed like the umps were doing their best to create a chance for Hawthorn in the final 30 seconds.

Unlikely.
I know. Would come as a shock. But the first 50 we got seemed to be because the hawks player came from way behind the tigers player - ie outside of the protected area - to man the mark. And I thought the one in the 3rd qtr was because the hawks player didn't ran trhough the protected area, he could see we had players free on the outside and ran in an area that stopped the tigers player from playing on (that was the Vlastuin one?)

I haven't watched a replay, this was my memory from the game. I could be wrong, I was in a slight state of surprise when they happened. I mean, we got a 50!

These last 2 were bad. A Hawthorn player came way over the mark quite some time after Pickett marked it, no 50m! It was chaos, players running everywhere. The the Vlastuin one, maybe he moved off his line half a step, I'm skeptical he did, but even if he did, it happens all the time and is ignored, but suddenly it is called play-on at a time and place that could decide the game? It seemed like the umps were doing their best to create a chance for Hawthorn in the final 30 seconds.
You must admit that the umps do get red hot on the player with the ball when teams effectively go into time-wasting mode. They watch the mark closer, and generally call play-on pretty quickly. There is definitely less time than they usually give during the game. Players should be pretty aware.

I was sitting in the AFL members stand and Vlastuin definitely moved off his line and gave the ump the opportunity to call play on. It was the right call IMO.

But they certainly get more attentive in those final minutes when "time-wasting" tactics are initiated.

Reactions: 1 user
You must admit that the umps do get red hot on the player with the ball when teams effectively go into time-wasting mode. They watch the mark closer, and generally call play-on pretty quickly. There is definitely less time than they usually give during the game. Players should be pretty aware.

I was sitting in the AFL members stand and Vlastuin definitely moved off his line and gave the ump the opportunity to call play on. It was the right call IMO.

But they certainly get more attentive in those final minutes when "time-wasting" tactics are initiated.
Yeah. On the one hand its fair enough, they're only human and a kick in it at the death focusses everyones minds. But I reckon its a broader trend, the umps are jumping on board the Collingwood come from behind narrative, I don't think its conscious, but they are. Adelaide in particular were robbed blind. Often I just thenk that focussing their minds results in crapping their daks. And its also hard to take because of the level of variation, all game the mark and the line is browns cows, suddenly they have the vernier calliper out. I think they are pretty crap, but I don't blame them, I blame those responsible for running them, the AFL.

I'll give you the NV one, but the Pickett one was a shocker. Minds focussed, Pickett indicates he is going back to take the kick, among the chaos, all umps eyes on the situation. Just crap.

Reactions: 1 users
But we got 2 x 50's earlier for this so it does exist.

It looked to me that Dusty played on in to Wingard? Wingard was actually running away from him? Haven't seen a replay so not 100%.
if that's the case, the rule should be that Wingard is disabled to be involved defensively as he's in the protected zone. problem was he impacted that play.

Yep and by the same token the umps put the whistle away in the latter minutes of a tight one.

Lets compare the pair Jack vs Curnow
Total Free kicks for Jack 11 vs Curnow 29
Absolutely ridiculous how the umps favour Curnow anyone lays a finger nail on him its an immediate free
That's the thing that really grates on me. Our forwards get totally mugged and it's all okay, but then you have the untouchables. Ben Brown is another. God help us if he's recalled for our game., parcicularly with the number of serial duckers they have running around in their forward line.

There were some stats put out a few weeks ago on free kicks and goals from free kicks per club. We were last with dayling to the next team. I wasn't surprised!

The Suns copped a Richmond like rogering from the umps. 10 frees to the Suns and 26 to the Lions (with 7 in their F50)

• Wow
Nicholls and that other cheat of an umpire Andre Gianfagna are part of the four way ream team today.

Gianfagna has absolutely crushed us in each Richmond game this year. Number 27.

• Angry
Just as I thought Cartoon are right up there in Frees For
Lets compare Curnow receiving 9.4% of their total frees Vs Riewoldt receiving only 3.8% of our total frees
So much ump bias towards Curnow
Yeah not sure why Charlie is the umpires love child. Averaging 1.8 frees a game v Jack 0.7

Nicholls and that other cheat of an umpire Andre Gianfagna are part of the four way ream team today.

Gianfagna has absolutely crushed us in each Richmond game this year. Number 27.

There were at least 4 HTB which on any other day they'd pay, but not today and not to the Tigers. Then your mate number 27 is red hot on Jack Ross and pays a 50 for a certain goal. A neutral might say its good to have such low free kicks for a half of footy but not when they're not paying such obvious free kicks which on other times they would. The inconsistency is appalling.

Reactions: 3 users
There were at least 4 HTB which on any other day they'd pay, but not today and not to the Tigers. Then your mate number 27 is red hot on Jack Ross and pays a 50 for a certain goal. A neutral might say its good to have such low free kicks for a half of footy but not when they're not paying such obvious free kicks which on other times they would. The inconsistency is appalling.
Don't touch the ball Tiges!!!! Poor flogs feel sorry for the oppo to pick up their own ball.

Melbourne has 2 goals from *smile* 50s. I can guarantee that if the same thing in the same position happens to us we don't get the 50s.

But they give us one on our very last line of defence with one second to go in the first half so I guess we should be happy :rolleyes:

*smile* off ya cheating *smile* :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users