Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I agree,

except if they change it to a last touch rule,

they'll use Finger-Cam 20 times a game, and play 20 more Sportsbet ads.
Still going to be challenging to police no doubt.
The perimeter of the MCG is not a basketball court.
Strangely enough I never really had a problem before they introduced 'deliberate'.
All teams forced to the boundary & through the behinds so there was consistency.
Now there's none. Just another snowball effect of rule changes.

Reactions: 5 users
I've come around to last disposal out of bounds being a free. But an indirect one (i.e. can't kick a goal from the free). But has to be a disposal leading to OOB. If it's rushed over the line, throw it in.

The insufficient intent is a joke. Grimes kicks the ball 40 metres to within a yard of Banks. Insufficient. Countless defenders in every game every week usher the ball over the line with no intention other than to get it out. Throw it in. Farce.

Reactions: 12 users
Last Q so bad. The trifecta of kicks to Sicily, the hold on Jack, the dropped mark, the staged dive, 2 should have been to Jack and one play on, in our fwd line, huge impact. You take one of those, but 3 in quick succession? King was gobsmacked, ropeable. Negligent.

The mark not paid to Soldo, could have gone either way, 50-50, but when you put it with the rest...

The Wingard being in Dusty's protected area at CHB. This one, and the 3 to Sicily, were all in the open with multiple umps looking right at them, no blindsiding, no confusing context, nothing. Obvious ones with the game on the line. They are *smile*.

• Angry
Reactions: 14 users
Balta being held by the arm as he's running for a loose ball on the back flank in the last qtr. I saw it from 120 metres away, how the he'll 1 umpy within 20 mtrs missed it is staggering.
Balta even looked at the flog & demonstrated what had happened. I was worried that he might get nailed for dissent. I guess the blind flog was too embarrassed to acknowledge his mistake.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah i took that in real time as a perfectly unclear indication

That Protected Area doesnt exist anymore?
But we got 2 x 50's earlier for this so it does exist.

It looked to me that Dusty played on in to Wingard? Wingard was actually running away from him? Haven't seen a replay so not 100%.

It looked to me that Dusty played on in to Wingard? Wingard was actually running away from him? Haven't seen a replay so not 100%.

Fair enough, i only watched last qtr on the replay.

How frequently do they train? How part-time are they?

Might be a factor

I think they’d be a lot better if they spent more time thinking about the myriad of grey areas and training to more accurately make snap judgments when these grey areas arise

Snap judgments are easier when something is fresh on your mind

Last Q so bad. The trifecta of kicks to Sicily, the hold on Jack, the dropped mark, the staged dive, 2 should have been to Jack and one play on, in our fwd line, huge impact. You take one of those, but 3 in quick succession? King was gobsmacked, ropeable. Negligent.

The mark not paid to Soldo, could have gone either way, 50-50, but when you put it with the rest...

The Wingard being in Dusty's protected area at CHB. This one, and the 3 to Sicily, were all in the open with multiple umps looking right at them, no blindsiding, no confusing context, nothing. Obvious ones with the game on the line. They are *smile*.
I just watched the mini replay so I could review some of the game.
Came here to post this - 3 incidents with Sicily, all indisputably wrong. 50m stand call, grab of Jacks jumper and the dropped mark.
Thank Christ for Karma.

Reactions: 3 users

The one to Soldo was cos a Hawk went between Soldo and the mark.
The one to Vlastuin was cos the Hawk ran went 3mtrs over the mark.

Neither was cos of the 'protected area' rule.

Right at the end when Pickett marked a Hawk was clearly over the mark when approaching him but they let that slide.

Reactions: 1 users
Lets compare the pair Jack vs Curnow
Total Free kicks for Jack 11 vs Curnow 29
Absolutely ridiculous how the umps favour Curnow anyone lays a finger nail on him its an immediate free

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Lets compare the pair Jack vs Curnow
Total Free kicks for Jack 11 vs Curnow 29
Absolutely ridiculous how the umps favour Curnow anyone lays a finger nail on him its an immediate free
The difference is that JR is a Tiger and therefore not entitled to free kicks.

Too many umpires, not enough coordination.

Consequently too many easy free kicks missed.

Go back to 3 umpires please.

Another stuff up by the Anti Football League

Reactions: 2 users

I would venture to say that those last quarter decisions possibly cost us one or two goals at least.

Reactions: 1 user
The one to Soldo was cos a Hawk went between Soldo and the mark.
The one to Vlastuin was cos the Hawk ran went 3mtrs over the mark.

Neither was cos of the 'protected area' rule.

Right at the end when Pickett marked a Hawk was clearly over the mark when approaching him but they let that slide.
Haven't seen a replay but I think you are wrong Brodders.

Same, I thought yesterday they were ok. Put the whistle away in the last 10, don’t mind that. Rather miss some (Sicily on Jack) then pay iffy technical ones.

That one on Riewoldt was hardly iffy or technical, blatantly obvious and clear cut would be my assessment.

In any case, what are you suggesting, they don't pay frees in the last 10 minutes? Fine, let's throw the rule book out, maybe they could sound a siren or the like with a 10 minute warning and no frees so do what you like. Do we have no reports too?

This wouldn't even be a question if they would only pay the frees which are there and follow the rules as decided upon by the AFL and written in the rule book published by the AFL.

DS