Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

This has to be raised, but the flogs just keep repeating

He was still going back to take his kick when the umpire called play on. Not like he has stopped, pushed the ball away ( maybe we can use this going fwd), pulled his socks up etc,etc. I was bellowing at the TV with not nice words. And it’s a good TV. Not it’s fault.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I thought, again, they weren't too bad, they'll never be perfect but ...

But we certainly copped quite a few very premature play on calls when we "went" off the mark.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it can be argued with any more. They umpire us differently. Clearing roost out of defence bounces in front of Mansell and his opponent before going out, "deliberate". "HTB" paid against us right in front of goal for a pretty straight forward tackle where the ball spills. Isn't paid that way in our favour once in the whole match. Balta is shoved in the back, "play on". The ridiculous stuff Sicily was getting away with on Riewoldt in the last, "play on". Marlion gets done for "HTB" after being tackled right as he took possession. Has one arm pinned, does not get the benefit of "no prior". It's *smile*. They umpire us differently.

Reactions: 4 users
Was listening 3AW on the way home and Leigh Mathews saw nothing wrong with the rule. The intent is for players to keep the ball in. I disagree with his view because you cannot make a decision based what’s in the players mind. It’s a farce.
Nor can you make a decision when the ball can bounce any which way. And yes, they are now mind readers also.

Last edited:
View attachment 20003
Umpire 37, Martin Rodger, I presume he was bullied at school, I suspect by Richmond supporters in his grade, or a player from the 80's rooted his mum, and dumped her.
Cos somehow, he *smile* hates us.
Lived up to his name n gave us a fair old Rodgering, but that's all right. Pretty sure our players are used to it by now, there's not an umpire in the comp that hasn't bent us over on a regular basis during the last half dozen seasons.

Whole umpiring department needs a complete rebuild. Start from scratch because it's the worst it's ever been
Need to start with the rule book n clean out all the interpretation and multiple dot point rules before worrying to much about the maggots. Simple game, keep the rules simple and then the dopey bastards wont need an abacus, slide rule and legal degree before they get to master blowing a pea whistle.

Reactions: 4 users

But we certainly copped quite a few very premature play on calls when we "went" off the mark.
Same, I thought yesterday they were ok. Put the whistle away in the last 10, don’t mind that. Rather miss some (Sicily on Jack) then pay iffy technical ones.

Used to frustrate the *smile* out of me but now I can pick the decision 99 times out of 100 before the whistle goes by following TBRs rule

Just ask yourself if they have a team mate close enough to where the ball goes out to get it if no it will get paid
Well the grimes one was wrong then. He was actually kicking for Mansell (I think) and the ball only just eluded him. It was a very poor decision that resulted in an immediate goal to hawks. Grimes spoke with the umpire at 3 qtr time about it he was incredulous.

Reactions: 5 users

Yeh I was at ground and there were a couple of shockers but overall I thought they were just their usual incompetent not utterly incompetent

• Haha
They missed the CHAMP's hit on Sicily (hurt him too) maybe ball watching, which is a real fault with a lot of umpires.

the other thing that confounds me about the 'insufficient intent' rule is:

if a player kicks a munga and its slowly tumbles to the boundary, and the opposition player just stands there and waits for it to go out,

isn't the bloke watching it go out,

displaying insufficient intent to keep the ball in play?

Reactions: 16 users
*smile* you, you shiteating, cocksucking, cheating *smile* *smile*,

yeah that summarises how I feel.

tough job?

try boning a side of beef on nightshift in an abattoir,

or drilling a hole on a Pilbara salt pan in summer.

tough job my arse.

The deliberate out of bounds has seemingly gone to a new level. Won't be surprised the 'last touch' rule between the arcs gets discussed again in the offseason. We're almost there now.
I'd honestly prefer that to the grey interpretation we have now. We're being royally screwed over by it.

I want waay less grey & more certainty in our game. it's cooked currently.

Reactions: 8 users
I'd honestly prefer that to the grey interpretation we have now. We're being royally screwed over by it.

Yep we are a non consensual participant in 50 shades of grey.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

I agree,

except if they change it to a last touch rule,

they'll use Finger-Cam 20 times a game, and play 20 more Sportsbet ads.

Reactions: 5 users
yeah that summarises how I feel.

tough job?

try boning a side of beef on nightshift in an abattoir,

or drilling a hole on a Pilbara salt pan in summer.

tough job my arse.
It would be an easier job if they taught them the rules and held them accountable to adjudicate them correctly. Poor bastards are flying blind.

Reactions: 1 user