Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I did some light reading on Wiki and have stumbled across the reason why we have been shafted for such a very long time.

“In 1896, Richmond walked off the field in a match against South Melbourne to protest the umpiring, ….”

And there you have it. AFL never forgets.
It gets better. We forfeited the 1904 VFA flag against north Melbourne in protest against the appointment of the umpire for that game.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Last year for GWS Taranto averaged 1.69 frees for per game. Now at Richmond he averages 0.63 frees for per game. Does seem a big drop.

Reactions: 9 users
It gets better. We forfeited the 1904 VFA flag against north Melbourne in protest against the appointment of the umpire for that game.
Hard n painful work having integrity. Over a hundred years of payback simply for truthfully pointing out that the maggots are dodgy cheating pricks.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year for GWS Taranto averaged 1.69 frees for per game. Now at Richmond he averages 0.63 frees for per game. Does seem a big drop.
Was mentioned here when he came to us that he’d have to get used to being harshly treated by the flogs.

Reactions: 1 users
All I've ever asked of umpires is to be consistent, Pay the same free kicks to both teams, surely that's not to much to ask.

Reactions: 12 users
All I've ever asked of umpires is to be consistent, Pay the same free kicks to both teams, surely that's not to much to ask.
Wake up to yourself mate.
It’s the “common sense rule” that covers everything. It’s a known fact that umpires are instructed to be kind to Richmond’s opponents but Richmond are to be treated harshly to all others. Yin and Yang it balances out…

It’s “sports entertainment “ it’s not supposed to be a fair competition

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to know and I think a few PRE'ers would too, how far can the full-back run when kicking out? I thought you had bounce the ball every 10 metres. It used to be a skill kicking out, when the full-back would kick it to himself over the 10 metre square line but that is gone.

Reactions: 2 users
Wake up to yourself mate.
It’s the “common sense rule” that covers everything. It’s a known fact that umpires are instructed to be kind to Richmond’s opponents but Richmond are to be treated harshly to all others. Yin and Yang it balances out…

It’s “sports entertainment “ it’s not supposed to be a fair competition
I’ve got the solution. Get Vince McMahon in to run the afl. At least then we all know the game is “fixed”

And 50 metres as well don’t forget, as Shai had the temerity to put his arms out in exasperation (Harris Andrews anyone) and then pointed up at the screen as confirmation why he felt hard done by. Razor, who was actually the pick of the umpires on the day then promptly re-enacted the Harris Andrews rule which had been dumped a week after it was first used. I have seen plenty more dissent/squealing since and no 50’s. Did they also get a goal from the resultant play?

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
And 50 metres as well don’t forget, as Shai had the temerity to put his arms out in exasperation (Harris Andrews anyone) and then pointed up at the screen as confirmation why he felt hard done by. Razor, who was actually the pick of the umpires on the day then promptly re-enacted the Harris Andrews rule which had been dumped a week after it was first used. I have seen plenty more dissent/squealing since and no 50’s. Did they also get a goal from the resultant play?

Yes they did. Not immediately, but the decision which was wrong and the resultant 50 gave them field position and momentum.

I would like to know and I think a few PRE'ers would too, how far can the full-back run when kicking out? I thought you had bounce the ball every 10 metres. It used to be a skill kicking out, when the full-back would kick it to himself over the 10 metre square line but that is gone.

The usual rule applies, they increased it to 15 metres some years ago, but you must either bounce or dispose of the ball in 15m or less.

Also, it is only a mark if the ball has traveled 15m.

Now, look at any game and you will see players run way more than 15m without bouncing or disposing and, occasionally, when they feel so inclined, the umpires may award a free kick for contravening this rule. You will also see passes which go less than 15m and the umpires, occasionally, when they feel so inclined, call play on as the ball has not traveled far enough.

The umpires' definition of 15m seems to be whatever they feel like at the time.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Taranto career average is around 1 for and 1 against per game. He is going at 1 against. Yes less than 1 for but not sure there's enoiugh data yet to hang the umps as yet - could make an exception for Razor though.

This prompted me to look at a few other transferees -

Lynch - 131 Games Suns/85 Games Tigers
Suns - 148 FF (1.13 game) / 155 FA (1.18.game)
Tigers - 99 FF (1.16 game) / 119 FA (1.4/game)

Prestia - 95 Games Suns/110 Games Tigers
Suns - 95 FF (1 game)/ 64 FA (0.67 game)
Tigers - 112 FF (1 game) / 92 FA (0.83 game)

Tarrant - 174 Games Roos/20 Games Tigers
Roos - 139 FF (0.8 game)/ 189 FA (1.09 game)
Tigers - 11 FF (0.55 game)/ 24 FA (1.2 game)

All of them are worse off in either FF or FA. I cannot recall any of them have changed their position nor the way they play?

And when games are decided by small margins these extra frees against or less frees for all add up.

Just more evidence to support the umps hate us theory.

Probably been mentioned I don't know, but a caller on radio today gave a suggestion to fix the sling tackle issue which sounds worth a try...get rid of 'prior opportunity'. It encourages a player to hang on to the ball rather than get rid of it quickly as they had to year's ago. He knows he won't get pinged for holding the ball and he knows the umpire will give him time to do something, or nothing! So this forces the tackler to bring him to ground forcefully in an attempt to dislodge the ball. Dimma has also been suggesting this for some time. Lets give it a try.

The idea that the player in black and yellow is less deserving of protection and more likely to commit an offence seems ingrained .... Sometimes I wonder if it all goes back to Jack Dyer and 64 broken collar bones

Reactions: 1 user
Watched the replay We understand how difficult it is to umpire and the decisions are subjective a matter of opinion with shades of grey,
What was the worst decision was the failure to pay free to Prestia for head high contact and to ball it up, Razor explains it was accidental. Now they are making up their own rules
Razor should be umpiring in the country next weekend but the AFL will not do that.

Reactions: 5 users