Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The last 3 weeks we have had 29-58 frees and we won all 3 games.
All through our premiership years we were last on free kick differential.
I am now convinced there is an inverse relationship between Richmond winning and free kicks.
We should be praying to get reemed by the umps every week
Yes but which is cause and which is effect?
Is that we play "more on the edge" meaning we give away more free kicks but this makes us play better overall?
Or is it that the powers-that-be don't see the need when we are NBG (i.e. before Hardwick walked this year), but now that we are doing OK it is back to business as usual in terms of giving it to the RFC.

Who was no 14. He gave us nothing and was hair trigger ready for them.
It also felt like they got more than 6 frees in the last quarter. I will watch the replay and count all frees.
Saints got 6 frees in last 8 minutes when game on the line. Umpires tried so hard to get them across the line. Completely disgraceful when we only got 8 for entire game last week.

Can you somehow bet on free kicks for and against? It would be easy money for our games.

You could find a bookie to hold the bet,

But youde have to put $100 to win $1

If you were betting on tigers to get half as many frees as the oppo.

Theres a huge longtitudinal data set

Reactions: 2 users
Is that we play "more on the edge" meaning we give away more free kicks but this makes us play better overall?
Or is it that the powers-that-be don't see the need when we are NBG (i.e. before Hardwick walked this year), but now that we are doing OK it is back to business as usual in terms of giving it to the RFC.
Playing on edge giving away frees could be understandable. But check the FA for teams against us. Teams with high FA average are suddenly disciplined against us as we get f all. That’s the pattern that needs to be investigated.

Reactions: 4 users
They hand out black and yellow butt plugs before the game at The Aussie Nash butch.

The Gabba Reeming is like dreamtime and anzac day

Its the perfect storm of Queensland, 30,000 people who dont understand footy and rostering john denver fans to umpire

And yet we still show up to cheer on our lads.

Victory will be sweet! Nothing better than sore loser Qld’ers.

Reactions: 3 users
One of our players took a mark in the defensive goal square. Higgins ran into the square to man the mark and was politely asked to take a couple of steps back to be outside the square.

That is a 50mt penalty every time. Except when it is not.

Reactions: 8 users
Hmm yep, substantial data. It's perfectly obvious that the reason we finished 18th on the free kick differential ladder five years in a row is because of a long, continuous, complicated and almost impossible set of coincidences, back to back to back to back to back, one after the other. Over and over again.

I mean it could happen to anybody.

Moneyball changed baseball by using statistics to expose inherent biases that had become accepted into the culture of the sport... so I'm not saying there's nothing to find.

Just that this kind of bias is easy to prove, but so far, nobody has been bothered to produce any real data to prove it.

Being last on a single measure is not evidence of bias.

Reactions: 1 user
Just watching the recording after being at the game last night.

Bloody hell, it’s even worse than what I thought at the ground.

Reactions: 5 users
Just watching the recording after being at the game last night.

Bloody hell, it’s even worse than what I thought at the ground.
Yeah I just finished the relay as well.

That was my thought exactly. I thought the number 14 umpire was the worse one of the lot.

Reactions: 1 users
One of our players took a mark in the defensive goal square. Higgins ran into the square to man the mark and was politely asked to take a couple of steps back to be outside the square.

That is a 50mt penalty every time. Except when it is not.

Remember that one. Called the same at the time (it was the city end right?). Its the most obvious 50 you can give as its very clear where the mark is. Its "back to the 9" everytime, so as soon as he goes over that line he's encroached and he knows he's encroached. Easiest place on the field to adjudicate that decision yet nope, nothing.

• Angry
Even right to the very end that cheating *** Chamberlain was doing his best to get St Kilda back into the game. The insane holding the ball on Prestia when he bent down to pick it up with two St.Kilda guys treading on his feet almost, immediately tackled with completely zero opportunity. And then a minute later poor old Prestia again cops a knee to the head up the other end of the ground and that cheating *** has the temerity to say “accidental !”.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
This thread is full on.

I tried to crack a joke and people think I am serious :unsure:

Even right to the very end that cheating *** Chamberlain was doing his best to get St Kilda back into the game. The insane holding the ball on Prestia when he bent down to pick it up with two St.Kilda guys treading on his feet almost, immediately tackled with completely zero opportunity. And then a minute later poor old Prestia again cops a knee to the head up the other end of the ground and that cheating *** has the temerity to say “accidental !”.
What's worse is that *smile* big headed prick is so up himself, he comes in with a smile to a frustrated player thinking everything's fine.

• Angry