Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I got so wound up over the umpiring last night that my watch threw up a message about my elevated heart rate while inactive.

I got so frustrated at the prospect of a looming fairy tale theft by the umps

That i unleashed the most politically incorrect, foul, loud, entirely inappropriate tirade,

At The TV, in mixed, non-footy company, as a guest at someones house.

a cone of silence decended over the room, i was very embarrased by my umpire-induced tourettes,

And i apologised unreservedly,

But the words dont suck out of people ears; they stay in there for decades.

*smile* you umpires; i hate you all;

Im not buying 'without them we wouldnt have a game' anymore.

the game would be heaps better if they would all *smile* off.

Last night was peak (trough?) bad; a relentless, tiggy, shafting, without pause,

In our celebration of the greatest champion in our history

*smile*

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Do free kicks count in the CONTESTED POSSESSION count? I would think that they do because they are usually given in a contest- tackles, marking duels etc. if so, it makes that count a bit derivative.

Also, Grant Thomas is 100% correct. Champion Data attribute scores to Turnover, Stoppage and Kick ins. If they added a fourth category, Umpiring Decisions, we would see this clearly. The Max King mark and goal and the Balta HTB are obvious examples of goals that would not happen if the umpire made a decision consistent with what they normally give.

A serious chunk of scoring is on the back of umpiring calls.

Reactions: 6 users
Free kick? Of course not!

Nank gets nothing.

Should have been a goal to Dusty.

Attachments

• 3507EC62-46A1-442F-951B-002E81E71764.jpeg
    3507EC62-46A1-442F-951B-002E81E71764.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
I see the Balta one differently, it was there IMO. Looked a bit iffy in real time, but there, defs there in slo mo. Took the tacklers on and dropped it cold. Thats how HTB used to be adjudicated when I was a boy. If you didn't HB or kick it, and quickly, when tackled it was HTB. Simple. Prior opp, and 'spilled out in the tackle', whatever the *smile* that is, have since muddied the waters to the point that its a raffle. Its created multiple layers of inconsistency and uncertainty. If they paid it every time, fine. They don't, its a raffle.

Just one example of the confusion, when does taking on the tackler (theoretically HTB) finish and just bracing for an incoming tackle (theoretically a ball-up) start? Its a rhetorical question, there may be an theoretical answer, but the reality is nobody knows.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do free kicks count in the CONTESTED POSSESSION count? I would think that they do because they are usually given in a contest- tackles, marking duels etc. if so, it makes that count a bit derivative.

Also, Grant Thomas is 100% correct. Champion Data attribute scores to Turnover, Stoppage and Kick ins. If they added a fourth category, Umpiring Decisions, we would see this clearly. The Max King mark and goal and the Balta HTB are obvious examples of goals that would not happen if the umpire made a decision consistent with what they normally give.

A serious chunk of scoring is on the back of umpiring calls.

Add in the outrageous free against Shai, we were going forward, I thought it was being given as a free to them and then Razor gives it to them!! They then get field position and end up scoring, not direct from the free kick, but it doesn't need to be direct, it creates momentum to keep the ball movng forwards.

Reactions: 1 users
The very obvious trip on Baker was another ripper. Then they pay htb against him! Must have laughed themselves sick when they saw that one back. It was so bad that even their tame commentary team had to point it out. Shai gets punched in the head at a centre bounce and they pay holding against us!

• Sad
  • Angry
Are we the only team in the league that don’t flop to the ground as soon as we take possession to draw the high free?
As an example, watch Couch play. Disgraceful and I’d be telling him all game long that he’s a dud every chance I got

Reactions: 3 users
It’s a minor miracle we won let alone by 20 pts. Those corrupt umps assisted the Aints in at least 7 goals I reckon. Deadset cheating.

Are we the only team in the league that don’t flop to the ground as soon as we take possession to draw the high free?
As an example, watch Couch play. Disgraceful and I’d be telling him all game long that he’s a dud every chance I got
Even harley reid is doing it today at the champs.

So its intergenerational now

And a *smile* feature thats here to stay

• Angry
So many examples of Saints getting 50/50s and then not minutes later Tigers not getting the free for the same thing. But the best of the best for me was the Bolton free against for a fair one on one battle and then getting a 50-metre for mild dissent (Razor of course). Players were dissenting ALL night. And yes the next foray forward resulted in a goal for the Saints.

• Angry
AFL: The head is sacrosanct, we must protect the head, that accidental collision when both players had eyes for the ball deserves a three-week suspension for the player who protected himself.
Also the AFL: Well done on deliberately and unnecessarily putting your head in harm's way, forcing high contact by dropping to your knees and shoving your head in your opponent's armpit. That's the kind of football we want to see, a real Dusty moment. Have a free kick to reinforce the behaviour.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
So many examples of Saints getting 50/50s and then not minutes later Tigers not getting the free for the same thing. But the best of the best for me was the Bolton free against for a fair one on one battle and then getting a 50-metre for mild dissent (Razor of course). Players were dissenting ALL night. And yes the next foray forward resulted in a goal for the Saints.
Shai pointed to the screen, that's what cooked him there.

I see the Balta one differently, it was there IMO. Looked a bit iffy in real time, but there, defs there in slo mo. Took the tacklers on and dropped it cold.
Agree with this and did so last night. It was technically there and will be reviewed as correct decision. The frustrating bit is how quick they were to blow it against Balta, but put their whistle away when it happened to the Saints.

AFL: The head is sacrosanct, we must protect the head, that accidental collision when both players had eyes for the ball deserves a three-week suspension for the player who protected himself.
Also the AFL: Well done on deliberately and unnecessarily putting your head in harm's way, forcing high contact by dropping to your knees and shoving your head in your opponent's armpit. That's the kind of football we want to see, a real Dusty moment. Have a free kick to reinforce the behaviour.
How’s the free against Prestia where the guy dives head first into his knees whilst Prestia immediately throws his hands in the air to show the umpire that he’s avoided making any contact whatsoever and still gives away the free?
Only consolation was that Prestia’s knee opened up the diving Saints players head like a can of tuna

Watched the replay and there should have been a too high paid to Richmond and the players even appealed only for Chamberlain to say it was accidental, so he's saying that every other free kick is intentional?

• Wow
Agree with this and did so last night. It was technically there and will be reviewed as correct decision. The frustrating bit is how quick they were to blow it against Balta, but put their whistle away when it happened to the Saints.
Thats it. Generally I didn't have a problem with the ones they got, couple of clangers and a few soft ones but thats normal, it was that we didn't get them, as reflected in the count.

Watched the replay and there should have been a too high paid to Richmond and the players even appealed only for Chamberlain to say it was accidental, so he's saying that every other free kick is intentional?
Yes, correct. Razor actually said he dived when he actually didn't. There was one where Saints player was caught, tried to get the ball on his boot and completely missed it and Razor said he made an attempt. Not 5 minutes later exactly the same scenario and free paid against Tigers.

In the end it means nothing, we proved that in 2019, we're just rorted so much.

Every possible free kick is paid against Richmond every week, however Richmond only get the free kicks that are absolutely blatant, anything that can be let go, always is, and that has been the case since 2017.
I agree that Richmond don't milk free's well enough, the umpires are rewarding acting rather than intent.