Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

This guy has done an analysis of free kicks in Richmond games by analysing how the opposition fares v Richmond and in general (I.e. taking Richmond out of it) Not surprisingly the upshot is Richmond games are umpired differently to other matches.

• Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Oh no they don't - Collingwood lost the free kick count to Melbourne by 1 on the weekend. Clearly shafted by the umps.
Eddie would never have tolerated that! However, despite the pies losing by 1 in the weekend. Where do they sit on the frees for/agin ladder. Pretty good. And have for a while.

I don’t know if the AFL keeps this stat and if they did they’d never make them public but I’d like to see the free kicks paid to and against each team by each individual umpire.

I reckon it would embarrass a few if they did and might just improve their performance as a result
Needs to be done and handled privately.

I have no stroke or contacts but asked the club to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
We had one free in the first quarter, played on and they (umps) didn’t pay advantage. Cost us a goal. Great we got a free. 2 frees in the second quarter and none in the 3rd. 4 in the last when one of the frees was a mark anyway. Walters got his first goal from a front on push by Broady when the ball was in the area. Not in the back. In the front. Goal Freo. You can push a player away from the ball as long as the ball is in the area. Less than 5 minutes later we had a front on shove to one of our guys which was play on. If you pay one. Then you pay the other. What I am struggling with, is why…..for so long this has been the case. It has become a statistical aberration now to be continually sitting either bottom or close to every year since 2016 in the frees for/against. Borderline weird.

Was a bit peeved that we didn’t get a couple of 50’s either when the Freo guy was well within the protected area.

3 free kicks to one side by 3/4 time. It’s almost impossible in such a fast moving contact game. It’s not impossible. But almost. There were 147 tackles laid in total by both sides. Ours mustn’t have been flash and theirs must have been pretty damn fine. Not quite my recall when one Freo player did more than a 360 degree spin in the tackle, ball comes loose and play on.

Another huge standout was our loss to Adelaide in Adelaide last year. After trailing for much of the game we got a run on and levelled the scores late in the 3rd quarter (around the 20 minute mark if I remember correctly). Adelaide then got the next and, as it turned out the last consecutive 14 free kicks in the game. And they won. Not a surprise when you look at that and where some of the frees were paid.

Ironically Collingwood who have adopted the Richmond method of play, do quite well from the umpires thank you very much. And to think Craham Cornes from SA was squealing recently about one game where he felt Adelaide didn’t get a good run. Well boo hoo Graeme. Tough for you guys.

I genuinely didn’t care if we lose the free kick count every week if the umpires are consistent. I have watched games where I thought the umpiring wasn’t too bad at all and we have been behind. But I would have agreed with the bulk of the decisions paid. So that’s fine. But some…….just does my head in.

Hear hear, well put.

DS

The goal ump thought it was a behind and it was
What did you think after watching the replay? Because the arc couldn’t tell from the replays. That’s what scares me, they couldn’t tell if there was a clear deflection. Are they blind?

Reactions: 2 users
What did you think after watching the replay? Because the arc couldn’t tell from the replays. That’s what scares me, they couldn’t tell if there was a clear deflection. Are they blind?

Given the evidence of last year's Elimination Final: Yep.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Would be good for someone to make a video of the Freo game, showing all the obvious free kicks they missed and show it to the club to make a statement.

Someone needs to do something as the scum are obviously adjudicating our games differently, and we just continue to bend the knee and accept it.

I lost count of the amount of obvious HTB which were not paid for us.

Would be good for someone to make a video of the Freo game, showing all the obvious free kicks they missed and show it to the club to make a statement.

Someone needs to do something as the scum are obviously adjudicating our games differently, and we just continue to bend the knee and accept it.

I lost count of the amount of obvious HTB which were not paid for us.

I remember Adelaide fans making a similar video after the 2017 Grand Final. It was pretty funny.

If anyone seriously wanted to prove bias exists, they would need to do proper statistical analyse capturing a long period of time. Using a handful of subjective examples from a single match will always make you look silly.

If it's this obvious, then shouldn't it be easy to prove? I have yet to see any substantial data to demonstrate umpiring bias against Richmond.

I remember Adelaide fans making a similar video after the 2017 Grand Final. It was pretty funny.

If anyone seriously wanted to prove bias exists, they would need to do proper statistical analyse capturing a long period of time. Using a handful of subjective examples from a single match will always make you look silly.

If it's this obvious, then shouldn't it be easy to prove? I have yet to see any substantial data to demonstrate umpiring bias against Richmond.

The AFL & The AFL media certainly aren't going to do it, the RFC aren't because they know that the AFL would ignore the evidence.

If a Tiger supporter had the time, facilities & patience to do it the AFL would still totally ignore them because they don't really care.

So why would anyone waste their time.

You sound a bit like someone else I know.

Really *smile* me when you blokes ruin our chance to rant at umpiring with this logic bs.

Why cant we just say they are cheats and leave it at that

• Haha

I thought L2R2R did some of this a few years back.

Let’s compare 2 FF Jack Riewoldt vs Charlie Curnow after round 13 2023
Jack 9 frees for vs Curnow 20
the ump bias rolls on we just don’t get the frees in our forward line that other teams do

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a nice relaxing night at the footy, celebrating our champ.
The umps better not duck that up!

• Haha
I'm hoping for a nice relaxing night at the footy, celebrating our champ.
The umps better not duck that up!

Was in the car earlier today and had it on aw footy. They had former umpire Goldspink on. He had an interesting point on the umpiring these days. He said for a long time during his umpiring career, the umpires coach or head of umpires was usually an experienced ex-umpire. That’s changed. Probably since the geischen days, the head of umpires has been someone with no coaching experience and has taken on the role as a short gap stop appointment to something else other than improving the umpiring standards. You could tell he wasn’t impressed. He also made the point of he doesn’t know if the umpires director gets told on how to direct the umpires from higher up

Reactions: 3 users
I recall goldspink being ogorman like towards us
Was in the car earlier today and had it on aw footy. They had former umpire Goldspink on. He had an interesting point on the umpiring these days. He said for a long time during his umpiring career, the umpires coach or head of umpires was usually an experienced ex-umpire. That’s changed. Probably since the geischen days, the head of umpires has been someone with no coaching experience and has taken on the role as a short gap stop appointment to something else other than improving the umpiring standards. You could tell he wasn’t impressed. He also made the point of he doesn’t know if the umpires director gets told on how to direct the umpires from higher