Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

THIS!! It clearly deflected. From every angle they showed. The controversy is not the edge but whoever the *smile* cannot see a CLEAR deflection.

And this from the AFL

An AFL spokesperson on Sunday told AAP the league had ticked off the goal review process.

So does that mean they agree the footage was inconclusive!!!!!??????

WHAT THE *smile*
All it proves in the goal ump had the better view and made his decision correctly. Technology is not always best

I know we got screwed on the free kick count (as every week bar the odd win).

However, we def had luck on our side in the last quarter arc review.

For a laugh can anyone find that doctored video Mickey has from Front Bar where he mentions a controversial decision then cuts to "The Arc"?
Then he shows a white dog in a Rfc scarf operating the video panel.
Absolute classic.
How was that luck, it hit the post

Reactions: 1 user
They did recall the advantage on one of the three free kicks. We were going to score. Farce.

Reactions: 1 users
Trigger warning.

We are objectively being sodomized and I compiled the data to prove it.

Until someone does some statistical analysis on these data, it's incomplete evidence at this stage

Exactly how different is Richmond adjudicated?
Is there a difference between chaos clubs and ball control clubs?
Is there any correlation between each club and their ladder position? (and difference in ladder position... e.g. does 1st vs 18th show the same pattern as 8th vs 9th?)
Clubs who play more games indoors vs outdoors?
Is there a correlation between dark and light coloured jumpers across all clubs? (including within clubs with light and dark versions of their own jumper, like us?)

These were just the first questions that came to mind without even really thinking about it, so I'd at least find the answers to the above questions and explore this from more angles before trying to draw extra attention to this on Twitter

I don't have access to statistical software anymore, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Logic - Can only be we don't play for free kicks and everyone else does. We really only have Jack who exagerates. Everyone else just gets on with it.
I agree. Can't think of a more likely explanation. I'm assumming that it's part of the 'Richmond Man' ethos.

I'm all for not playing for free kicks. I can't stand staging and it's rampant at the moment. I want to see the best footballers play footy aginst each other-not try and hit other players with their head.

I just want consistency. When a free is paid to the opposition for whatever infringement then it would be appropriate to receive the same when we are infringed. That to me, is where we are missing out.

Reactions: 8 users
All it proves in the goal ump had the better view and made his decision correctly. Technology is not always best
The goal umpire had an obstructed view!
Did you not think the ball deflected off the post? From both angles?

I just want consistency. When a free is paid to the opposition for whatever infringement then it would be appropriate to receive the same when we are infringed. That to me, is where we are missing out.
I watched the replay again last night and concentrated on the umpiring to see what happened. What you said was exactly right. So many similar incidents through the game to both sides. Fremantle were given frees, some I had to rewind 3 times to try to find them, obvious Richmond frees were just simply ignored. Both sides just not umpired the same. Has to be by design. It was 17 to 3 at one stage and the crowd were still going crazy at the umps for not paying freo frees - just bizarre

Reactions: 6 users
I watched the replay again last night and concentrated on the umpiring to see what happened. What you said was exactly right. So many similar incidents through the game to both sides. Fremantle were given frees, some I had to rewind 3 times to try to find them, obvious Richmond frees were just simply ignored. Both sides just not umpired the same. Has to be by design. It was 17 to 3 at one stage and the crowd were still going crazy at the umps for not paying freo frees - just bizarre
We had one free in the first quarter, played on and they (umps) didn’t pay advantage. Cost us a goal. Great we got a free. 2 frees in the second quarter and none in the 3rd. 4 in the last when one of the frees was a mark anyway. Walters got his first goal from a front on push by Broady when the ball was in the area. Not in the back. In the front. Goal Freo. You can push a player away from the ball as long as the ball is in the area. Less than 5 minutes later we had a front on shove to one of our guys which was play on. If you pay one. Then you pay the other. What I am struggling with, is why…..for so long this has been the case. It has become a statistical aberration now to be continually sitting either bottom or close to every year since 2016 in the frees for/against. Borderline weird.

Was a bit peeved that we didn’t get a couple of 50’s either when the Freo guy was well within the protected area.

3 free kicks to one side by 3/4 time. It’s almost impossible in such a fast moving contact game. It’s not impossible. But almost. There were 147 tackles laid in total by both sides. Ours mustn’t have been flash and theirs must have been pretty damn fine. Not quite my recall when one Freo player did more than a 360 degree spin in the tackle, ball comes loose and play on.

Another huge standout was our loss to Adelaide in Adelaide last year. After trailing for much of the game we got a run on and levelled the scores late in the 3rd quarter (around the 20 minute mark if I remember correctly). Adelaide then got the next and, as it turned out the last consecutive 14 free kicks in the game. And they won. Not a surprise when you look at that and where some of the frees were paid.

Ironically Collingwood who have adopted the Richmond method of play, do quite well from the umpires thank you very much. And to think Craham Cornes from SA was squealing recently about one game where he felt Adelaide didn’t get a good run. Well boo hoo Graeme. Tough for you guys.

I genuinely didn’t care if we lose the free kick count every week if the umpires are consistent. I have watched games where I thought the umpiring wasn’t too bad at all and we have been behind. But I would have agreed with the bulk of the decisions paid. So that’s fine. But some…….just does my head in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I recall Craig O'Brien a St Kilda player many years ago followed home the umpire who reported him, in his car after a Tribunal hearing. St Kilda mate told me O'Brien strangely got alot of free kicks subsequently. We have a vacancy on our Coaching Panel, should we get O'Brien on board, to sort this imbalance ?

I don’t know if the AFL keeps this stat and if they did they’d never make them public but I’d like to see the free kicks paid to and against each team by each individual umpire.

I reckon it would embarrass a few if they did and might just improve their performance as a result

Reactions: 4 users

Ironically Collingwood who have adopted the Richmond method of play, do quite well from the umpires thank you very much. And to think Craham Cornes from SA was squealing recently about one game where he felt Adelaide didn’t get a good run. Well boo hoo Graeme. Tough for you guys.
Oh no they don't - Collingwood lost the free kick count to Melbourne by 1 on the weekend. Clearly shafted by the umps.

• Haha