Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Baker marks well in front of an opponent. Opponent closes in and wraps his arms around him. Clear 50 metres. Instead Baker tries to resolve ump's blatant mistake and gets the ball taken off him. Umps aren't tha dumb, has to be home ground bias.
Same as when Mansell marked at the start of the last quarter. Freo bloke had to be told 3 or 4 times to move back on the mark, then umpire called play on after about 5 seconds, and another Freo player entered the 'protected area' as Mansell started to kick. I'd suggest 2 50's missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Along with every other mess these flogs caused against us last night, let's not forget the pedantic, bureaucratic circus of holding Bolts up with that last goal. Poor other yellow football had to come off the ground before play was on again....poor football.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Always been the rule that if you step off the direct line to goal it's play on. Player lines up for the hook shot at goal the first movement he makes is to step off the direct line.
Foosh made the simple mistake of being way to close to the man on the mark to take his shot in the first place, pure opportunity for the smother.
Buddy goes way off his line in an arc when he has a shot for goal as do many others. Personally I think there are 2 sets of rules, one for straight run up and one for snap.

Reactions: 1 user
Shoulda Coulda been a fifty but the maggot chose not to pay one. Doesn't entitle you to get all stupid n throw an elbow into a bloke. Bakes had the ball n total control of the situation then threw it in the bin with a stupid attack.
Well clearly that's the frustration building up of an umpire not doing their job. And no he didn't have control. He wasn't allowed to do what he was legally allowed to do because a player was holding him. You could see there were players running past.

*smile* umpiring has been politely called out plenty of times over the years for absolutely no improvement. Sadly calling the umpiring out as pathetic, disgraceful or biased only results in heavy fines, media outrage and probably even more biased umpiring by the offended umpires.
Doesn't matter what gets said, it's always, the umpire was unsighted, it was a 50/50 call, correct interpretation of beige and always, always done as a secret in house assessment by H.Q. The stats will always show that umpires get it right 99.99999999% of the time.
Smoke and mirrors helps with optics but never solves the problem TM.

Reckon the introduction of more umpires has created more complexity for the game and the officiating has suffered as a result!

HQ will do something to protect the brand. More officiating like last night will clearly threaten the brand.

Unbelievable discipline from Freo to only concede 3 free kicks to three quarter time. Unbelievable.

I've said it before, we should get some sort of reward for the effect we have on the opposition we play. Every week they concede a fraction of their normal free kicks. Freo conceded 3 frees in 3 quarters, it's astounding. We clearly have have an effect on our opposition, they turn into angels whenever we play them. They stop throwing, never tackle high, always dispose of the ball legally when tackled, never show insufficient intent to keep the ball in play . . . truly astounding, when are we going to get plaudits for the way we make the opposition into a bunch of angels who barely ever transgress the rules?

DS

I know we got screwed on the free kick count (as every week bar the odd win).

However, we def had luck on our side in the last quarter arc review.

For a laugh can anyone find that doctored video Mickey has from Front Bar where he mentions a controversial decision then cuts to "The Arc"?
Then he shows a white dog in a Rfc scarf operating the video panel.
Absolute classic.

For a laugh can anyone find that doctored video Mickey has from Front Bar where he mentions a controversial decision then cuts to "The Arc"?
Absolute classic.
No I don’t believe we did. It was clear in the last frame they showed that it deviated. And even if they didn’t want to call it the system actually worked - the ump has said it hit the post. Or maybe that’s what you mean we were lucky that they actually followed the rules?

Absolute classic.

The ball hit the goal umpires flag which confirms point. It was clear as day yet the FARCE came back with umpire call. Cheating pricks

No I don’t believe we did. It was clear in the last frame they showed that it deviated. And even if they didn’t want to call it the system actually worked - the ump has said it hit the post. Or maybe that’s what you mean we were lucky that they actually followed the rules?
Ump thought Broady had touched it. Impossible for him to see that it had hit the post. So ump's call was a behind.
Arc said insufficient evidence to overrule the umpire's call.
Broad was very confident that it was a point though. Probably because he knew it had grazed the post. He had more confidence in the ARC than I did.

Ump thought Broady had touched it. Impossible for him to see that it had hit the post. So ump's call was a behind.
Arc said insufficient evidence to overrule the umpire's call.
Broad was very confident that it was a point though. Probably because he knew it had grazed the post. He had more confidence in the ARC than I did.
Since the Lynch farce last year and confirmation that they take the players reaction into account its not hard to game the system now.

Broad did the right thing. Made it obvious it was a behind by grabbing the ball and setting up to kick out. Remember the Lynch interpretation by the ARC where apparently they took his demeanour into account. Our players should just celebrate, high five if a goal review for us and act to kick in when a goal review against us.

Interesting that Karen Cornes even raised how biased the umps were against us last night. You know its bad when that campaigner is raising it.

It isn't just the free kick count that gets me, its the blatant *smile* free kicks they pay against Richmond that kill momentum and let sides back in, it was the Umpires that turned the 3rd qtr in Freo's favor, not Freo, then momentum goes their way.
The no advantage to Boltan that was a certain goal, no other team would have that brought back, the umpires like to let Richmond know who is in control.

Even that bump was not a free kick to the rules of the game, its play on.

The amount of times Freo dropped the ball, threw the ball and held the man last night with no free kick was an absolute disgrace, how on earth these professional umpires don't see this is beyond me, when they pay free kicks to the opposition for absolutely no reason. It is becoming un watchable.

Rant over

Reactions: 4 users
Even West Coast Fans were up in arms about the reaming we got.

Thats saying something.

The competition is not where it should I will just say that.

I honestly think people are just angry because of the stat.

The rules are flawed and defy common sense, but that's a separate issue to an umpire's attempt to adjudicate those rules.
do you realise that with the 4 umpire system for three quarters at least one umpire and most probably two did not award us a free kick.