Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Don’t forget the Pickett shot at goal when ump wrongly called play on and his kick was smothered. Pickett did not move off his line or move off the line of the player on the mark.

He'd just had both arms taken two seconds earlier in a marking contest directly in front too. If they'd paid that one, he wouldn't have needed to be going around the corner.

I've come to the conclusion that we must not dive enough.

Compound this with the fact that our Captain always antagonises the umps (dirty glares, never giving the ball back to them, etc.), and we just don't get the frees that the oppo does. You could replay that and find 30 more free kicks for us if you look for them. High contact, blocking, holding and incorrect disposal mainly.

It's like they look with intent one way, and not the other. We need to throw our arms out more.

Reactions: 4 users
Unbelievable discipline from Freo to only concede 3 free kicks to three quarter time. Unbelievable.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 9 users
Umpires should be renamed the “Putrid Putin’s”. Even he shows more humanity and fairness than these *smile* brains.
I hope their cars are scratched to the shithouse. They are forcibly sterilised. Their lips sewn up. And their tossils removed.

Reactions: 1 users
He'd just had both arms taken two seconds earlier in a marking contest directly in front too. If they'd paid that one, he wouldn't have needed to be going around the corner.

I've come to the conclusion that we must not dive enough.

Compound this with the fact that our Captain always antagonises the umps (dirty glares, never giving the ball back to them, etc.), and we just don't get the frees that the oppo does. You could replay that and find 30 more free kicks for us if you look for them. High contact, blocking, holding and incorrect disposal mainly.

It's like they look with intent one way, and not the other. We need to throw our arms out more.
Yeh the missed free to Pickett was poor.

Jack always throws his arms out and accentuates stuff but is rarely rewarded, not sure that tactic works for us like it does for Weightman, brown etc etc

Reactions: 1 user
Like a scratched record , bringing more umpires in , brings in 10 more poorer umpires , 1 more “opinion” in decision making in each game and we are allready confused and frustrated by their inconsistency.

Last night was an embarrassment to the AFL , the ball up decision when Jack Graham made the perfect tackle in the second quarter , 40 metres from goal after the umpire gave the player a ridiculous amount of time to dispose of it could have been a game changin disgrace , absolutely no way that shouldn’t have been the most basic of decisions.

More grey rules , more poor umpires , well done Steve

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Like a scratched record , bringing more umpires in , brings in 10 more poorer umpires , 1 more “opinion” in decision making in each game and we are allready confused and frustrated by their inconsistency.

Last night was an embarrassment to the AFL , the ball up decision when Jack Graham made the perfect tackle in the second quarter , 40 metres from goal after the umpire gave the player a ridiculous amount of time to dispose of it could have been a game changin disgrace , absolutely no way that shouldn’t have been the most basic of decisions.

More grey rules , more poor umpires , well done Steve
We all could see where this ‘four’ umpires was headed.

Last night showed it up for the failure it is.

Nathan Jones had the courage to call it out in last nights game.

Let’s see what we see, hear today & tomorrow by the King of all things Reason, Whateley.

What will be the narrative.

Reactions: 3 users
How? He didn’t deviate from the line to goal from player on mark to goals. He stood back towards the boundary and moved forward as anyone would when walking up and having a shot.
There seems to be a new rule that if you decide to snap around your body that the opposition can go at you as soon as your little pinkie starts moving.

How many times are we told to play on? Have watched many games and it seems to be a Tiger thing. Case in point near the end of the game, Nanks takes a mark, goes back, doesn't go off his mark and is told to play on. In the 3rd saw a Freo player with the mark in their backline, he held it for at least 15-20 seconds. I couldn't believe he wasn't called to play on.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Baker marks well in front of an opponent. Opponent closes in and wraps his arms around him. Clear 50 metres. Instead Baker tries to resolve ump's blatant mistake and gets the ball taken off him. Umps aren't tha dumb, has to be home ground bias.

Reactions: 2 users
There seems to be a new rule that if you decide to snap around your body that the opposition can go at you as soon as your little pinkie starts moving.
Always been the rule that if you step off the direct line to goal it's play on. Player lines up for the hook shot at goal the first movement he makes is to step off the direct line.
Foosh made the simple mistake of being way to close to the man on the mark to take his shot in the first place, pure opportunity for the smother.

Baker marks well in front of an opponent. Opponent closes in and wraps his arms around him. Clear 50 metres. Instead Baker tries to resolve ump's blatant mistake and gets the ball taken off him. Umps aren't tha dumb, has to be home ground bias.
Shoulda Coulda been a fifty but the maggot chose not to pay one. Doesn't entitle you to get all stupid n throw an elbow into a bloke. Bakes had the ball n total control of the situation then threw it in the bin with a stupid attack.

• Angry
How many times are we told to play on? Have watched many games and it seems to be a Tiger thing. Case in point near the end of the game, Nanks takes a mark, goes back, doesn't go off his mark and is told to play on. In the 3rd saw a Freo player with the mark in their backline, he held it for at least 15-20 seconds. I couldn't believe he wasn't called to play on.
Where is the protected space 50??

i am used to us getting screwed by the umpires but last night was just ridiculous

as others have stated, it bordered on cheating

Reactions: 4 users
What is the record for the lowest free kicks for a team in a game ?
I've tried looking but couldn't find the lowest team free kicks for

Always refrain from commenting on the umps but I was astounded at the poor quality of the umpiring last night. AFL hates their media talking about *smile* umpiring, but sometimes you have to call *smile* umpiring out to affect necessary change.

Always refrain from commenting on the umps but I was astounded at the poor quality of the umpiring last night. AFL hates their media talking about *smile* umpiring, but sometimes you have to call *smile* umpiring out to affect necessary change.
*smile* umpiring has been politely called out plenty of times over the years for absolutely no improvement. Sadly calling the umpiring out as pathetic, disgraceful or biased only results in heavy fines, media outrage and probably even more biased umpiring by the offended umpires.
Doesn't matter what gets said, it's always, the umpire was unsighted, it was a 50/50 call, correct interpretation of beige and always, always done as a secret in house assessment by H.Q. The stats will always show that umpires get it right 99.99999999% of the time.