Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

You are either joking or legally blind! The absolute worst display against us in the last 6 years!!!

I honestly think people are just angry because of the stat.

The rules are flawed and defy common sense, but that's a separate issue to an umpire's attempt to adjudicate those rules.

The rules are flawed and defy common sense, but that's a separate issue to an umpire's attempt to adjudicate those rules.
You’re right I looked at the stat and it validated what I was seeing. Three frees for 3/4 of a game in the wet when we’d laid 60 tackles.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Did you watch the game? It was blatant, we were umpired differently.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

I was angry before I saw the stat. It was woeful.

Did you watch the game? It was blatant, we were umpired differently.

DS

I was frustrated by the rules, but I didn't notice the umpires or think about their performance until I saw the stat just before 3QT.

This week's game was probably in the lower half of umpire frustration for me if I had to rank it alongside our other games this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I also think we are seeing a different adjudication in the last month /season.
Players have much more time before holding the ball.
Tonight there was no prior opportunity. It was all play on.
Thats not umpire bias, if we look at other games its a clear direction from the top.
it didnt suit us tonight.
In the first quarter there were 3 htb not given.
Clearly the players were surprised.
Last year Ryan gets 50 for zone infringement when he was kicking from 60m out.
Again the problem is inconsistency within the season

In the swans v saints there was a huge number of frees. As usual this is an afl overcorrection

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was frustrated by the rules, but I didn't notice the umpires or think about their performance until I saw the stat just before 3QT.

This week's game was probably in the lower half of umpire frustration for me if I had to rank it alongside our other games this year.
When the team is playing well you can move on easier. When you’re playing crap like earlier in the year and the umpire has it up to the knuckle. You can certainly feel and notice it more.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Umpires, if you don't mind.......how about being consistent. Can you give us free kicks for incidents that are the same as the ones that you penalise us for. That's all we ask.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Our players must be deformed. They clearly don’t have anything above the shoulders. That’s why the umpires have so much difficulty awarding high contact frees to the Tigers.

Reactions: 3 users
Umpires, if you don't mind.......how about being consistent. Can you give us free kicks for incidents that are the same as the ones that you penalise us for. That's all we ask.
Spot on. Couldn't have said it any better. This frustration has continued against Richmond for many years now. I can't even remember the last time Richmond won the free kicks by 10 against any team. It happens a lot of other team especially against the Tigers.

Yesterday Freo got some absolute soft ones for acting too that gave them goals and momentum.

This also has nothing to do with playing an interstate team on their home turf. When we play any interstate team on our home turf, despite having the home crowd the tigers still get shafted with the umpiring. No other team has to deal with this garbage on a consistent basis.

Reactions: 4 users
Just *smile*. Embarrasing. Inept. That non HTB in the second Q was even worse than Edwards in the North EF 2015. The bakes reversed one was a abomination, a disgrace, if we want to get that tiggy touchwood, its a 50 to Bakes for holding him up for too long. The Graham sling, his reaction said it all, as Jones said, did everything he could possible do. Also very early in the first, Mansell mark, Freo player wasn't just in the protected are, he was in his face, should have been 50, goal. Just some of many examples.

Yep. Baker should have got 50 if they were being technical.

That ARC decision though takes the cake. How did they not notice it deflect off the post? That could have changed the game. Well done to the goal umpire - amidst broads attempted he got it right.
I hope they come out and explain it. I’m sure they will given how transparent the AFL is.

• Haha
And how did the ARC not see the ball deflect off the post!!!!should have needed one replay. Amazing.
Thank Gawd, Christ the twelve Apostles and any other deity that someone might believe in, that at least the goal umpire who couldn't even see it properly guessed that it was a point. Otherwise we'd have been fARCed over again. First look at the replay and it was an obvious poster but the imbecile with all the computer tech couldn't make a call.

The umpiring was just flat out embarrassing. The amount of soft frees they got was a disgrace and yet we could tackle them and they either drop it, throw it or make no attempt to dispose and it’s nothing. You know it’s bad umpiring when it’s brought up in the post match media conference.

That was 11 to them at half time.
15 to 3 against at three qtr time. Game obviously needs another 4 maggots on field per game so the bastards can see our frees as well and not just the oppo's. We'd be better off reverting to the original system of Captains call from the dim dark ages, certainly couldn't get shafted half as badly as we are now.

Reactions: 1 users
I also think we are seeing a different adjudication in the last month /season.
Players have much more time before holding the ball.
Tonight there was no prior opportunity. It was all play on.
Thats not umpire bias, if we look at other games its a clear direction from the top.
it didnt suit us tonight.
In the first quarter there were 3 htb not given.
Clearly the players were surprised.
Last year Ryan gets 50 for zone infringement when he was kicking from 60m out.
Again the problem is inconsistency within the season

In the swans v saints there was a huge number of frees. As usual this is an afl overcorrection

it's free kick powerball, every week they draw a new interpretation out of the hat.

I care a lot less about umpiring than most of you nuffies good folk, but this is one thing that gives me the irits.

Reactions: 1 users
He needs to say something like.

Well we laid 156 tackles for the game and only one of them got rewarded with holding the ball so we need to learn how to be better and ask for clarification on that rule so we can improve
And the best tackle for the night got pinged for dangerous after the Frocker had spent ten minutes holding the ball with his arms free the whole time. Did the maggots think we were playing dizzy whizzes in the park with the 3 year old kiddies.

Don’t forget the Pickett shot at goal when ump wrongly called play on and his kick was smothered. Pickett did not move off his line or move off the line of the player on the mark.
Always a chance to be smothered, Foosh was way to close to the man on the mark. It was a ten metre kick, he didn't need to start his approach while standing next to the Frocker.

Na I disagree. The whistle goes before he’s off his line. I thought perhaps he took too long but I timed it at 30 secs.
Pretty sure they don't blow the whistle to call play on, the whistle is only used to stop play not start it. Foosh *smile* up, simple as that.

Reactions: 1 user